Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 04:47 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times

Advertisements

While she went to work, a mother locked her 3 children, 1,3,4 ages, in a bedrm with no fans/AC. They had water access but no food. When DSS found them: bedrm was 93 degrees. They are now in DSS housing.

live5news.com
Anderson SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 01:29 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,058 times
Okay, here is my rationale for the mom's thinking --- she had no sitter, she had no support system AND she had to go to work because she is the sole supporter for her family -- that's my reasoning for her reasoning -- now, that does not mean that was a reasonable decision / choice on her part - she probably figured by keeping them in one room, she was relatively sure their safety was covered --

To me, what this also says is that it is a shame that there are insufficient support systems for people; there are insufficient places/ volunteers/ help, something that can support a mom going to work AND an avenue to watch over her children.

Oh brother....what a shame.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
SP, that was my first thought too....HAD to work, no help w/kids (dad??), no $ for daycare-what is she to do??? Still dangerous for such young kids-

I am getting very discouraged....(on another thread too):

Here a young woman was caught shoplifting, but not CDs, jewelry, cell phone etc. but:

one stick of deodorant, body wash/spray. No $ to pay for basic hygiene items...what else to do?? It broke my heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
Okay, here is my rationale for the mom's thinking --- she had no sitter, she had no support system AND she had to go to work because she is the sole supporter for her family -- that's my reasoning for her reasoning -- now, that does not mean that was a reasonable decision / choice on her part - she probably figured by keeping them in one room, she was relatively sure their safety was covered --

To me, what this also says is that it is a shame that there are insufficient support systems for people; there are insufficient places/ volunteers/ help, something that can support a mom going to work AND an avenue to watch over her children.

Oh brother....what a shame.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:14 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
No one forces anyone to have children, and keep them. If you can't take care of one...why does she have three? I have never understood parents like that. There is such a thing as birth control, that works...and it is basically free at many clinics.

I think that there is more to this story...I used to work in public assistance, and often women would abuse the childcare money, and then have overpayments, and not be eligible for child care assitance...there is always more to these stories than the sensationalism...

Old 06-15-2011, 09:12 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
While she went to work, a mother locked her 3 children, 1,3,4 ages, in a bedrm with no fans/AC. They had water access but no food. When DSS found them: bedrm was 93 degrees. They are now in DSS housing.

live5news.com
Anderson SC

here is another lousy mother

Police: Mom threatened to kill 3-year-old son, self | 9news.com

Old 06-15-2011, 12:03 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
No one forces anyone to have children, and keep them. If you can't take care of one...why does she have three? I have never understood parents like that. There is such a thing as birth control, that works...and it is basically free at many clinics.

I think that there is more to this story...I used to work in public assistance, and often women would abuse the childcare money, and then have overpayments, and not be eligible for child care assitance...there is always more to these stories than the sensationalism...
Circumstances change. That's part of the reason I didn't want to have kids until I had some really rock solid financial security. She could have been divorced from a deadbeat or drug addicted dad. There could have been a job loss. She may be too proud to accept social services when she can work.

Or she makes enough to barely survive, but not little enough to qualify for energy assistance or whatever. Honestly, not everyone asks for that stuff even if they qualify. It's bad, but I feel sorry for her, too.

At least the kids weren't drinking bleach in the kitchen or setting the house on fire. But it sounds like she couldn't afford a sitter or AC or a fan. I don't think that's a reason to put her kids in a foster home where they may be abused or worse... If a fan's the problem, how about giving her a fan?

Old 06-15-2011, 12:59 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
When I grew up in Odessa Texas there was no home AC, so we stayed in 93 degree rooms all day and nite and no one came around arresting Mom....Come to think of it we even played in it...

THINK, POLICE STATE.....

Old 06-15-2011, 06:42 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post

live5news.com
Anderson SC
I didn't sense any malicious intent on the part of the mother in this case, just wrong solution (for whatever reason) borne out of desperation...and if I may, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

Surely, there must be something or ways that our Social Welfare Administration (in an ever changing society) can provided to alleviate the desperate needs of its citizens, before focusing on the aid for other countries who are in similar situations. aisi

Sorry if my post is viewed as either...out of ignorance or, just idealistic ramblings...

Old 06-16-2011, 08:59 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,058 times
ANS57, I tend to agree with you; certainly we may not know all of the facts/information-- my sense, certainly not an optimal choice/decision by any means - given that this woman did this while going to work, to me, is a whole lot different than this woman going out to party somewhere...perhaps this comment can be interpreted as a judgment [and it is not] nor is it meant to justify her actions -- generally, in my opinion, issues/actions come down to "intent" and I do not think the intent was to hurt/harm her children in any way - hopefully some better opportunities present themselves to her.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:54 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
When I grew up in Odessa Texas there was no home AC, so we stayed in 93 degree rooms all day and nite and no one came around arresting Mom....Come to think of it we even played in it...

THINK, POLICE STATE.....
That is exactly why I decided to read this thread - I grew up staying in higher temps than that - no A/C. It got so hot at times - I would throw up. To cool off my younger sisters, I finally figured out I could take a sheet, soak it in a bathtub, shake it out and put it over us - trying to cool us all off.

No one would have thought of reporting my parents to DSS. Everyone's kids, elderly grandparents, etc. were living the same way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime