Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2011, 04:53 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times

Advertisements

From NC

Todd Ayers, 47 yr old MUSIC TEACHER, arrested for 3 counts sex crimes against child. No victim info released.

WXII12.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 08:53 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,603 times
Hey there GBH, yet another example of why it is so important to have some type of mechanism in place [testing] for any person applying for a teaching position [not to exclude any other position in authority, leadership, etc.].

Although we seem to be hearing more and more about cases and situations like this one, I do believe that they did not just evolve; I surmise that for years, cases like this were kept quiet or not pursued or were considered so outrageous that the victim was not believed and thus withdrew their complaint. It still does appear that too often victims are still not believed - perhaps not so much in a situation where the victim is 2 or 3 or 9 years old, but for some reason once the age hits 13 and up, there are more raised eyebrows and thus...

I guess I will never understand, not simply the crime itself, but why it can take law enforcement / prosecutors so long to do something about the accusation. I do recognize that perhaps I am lumping too many law enforcement officers and prosecutors together [and perhaps unfairly], yet, if we just think about some of the recent crimes that we now know could have been negated if....

Old 06-15-2011, 03:46 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Totally agree MP!!

I post these only in hope of even one parent stopping to think and then becoming more watchful and vigilant in protection of their child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
Hey there GBH, yet another example of why it is so important to have some type of mechanism in place [testing] for any person applying for a teaching position [not to exclude any other position in authority, leadership, etc.].

Although we seem to be hearing more and more about cases and situations like this one, I do believe that they did not just evolve; I surmise that for years, cases like this were kept quiet or not pursued or were considered so outrageous that the victim was not believed and thus withdrew their complaint. It still does appear that too often victims are still not believed - perhaps not so much in a situation where the victim is 2 or 3 or 9 years old, but for some reason once the age hits 13 and up, there are more raised eyebrows and thus...

I guess I will never understand, not simply the crime itself, but why it can take law enforcement / prosecutors so long to do something about the accusation. I do recognize that perhaps I am lumping too many law enforcement officers and prosecutors together [and perhaps unfairly], yet, if we just think about some of the recent crimes that we now know could have been negated if....

Old 06-15-2011, 05:17 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post

There already are lots of mechanisms in place (background checks, references, education) for teachers. Rather than blame a school, how about asking where the student's parents were? Why didn't the student speak up as soon as this happened? Hadn't the student been educated at school (or at home) about sex abuse?

The truth is, this happens all of the time in this country, to children, to teenagers and to adults, especially women. This isn't something that is restricted to the teaching profession that will simply be corrected by more oversight; this is a problem with how our society socializes boys and men (and, also, some women--I'm not even going to pretend that women do not engage in predatory behavior).

The sad truth in this country is that most people who are abused are stigmatized or, sometimes, even blamed for their abuse, which is why many do not speak up and why people such as this teacher continue to get away with it.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:44 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Child molesters are gifted at flattery, deception, and coercion. They target quiet children, they are too cowardly to seduce a loud, child with high self esteem. They are like a slunking animal, lurking for the weakest prey to attack.

I don't know the circumstances of this case, but children should be in pairs, or with other adult (parent) supervision. Being alone with a child is a molesters fantasy come true.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:03 PM

252 posts, read 555,609 times
Awwww to bad it wasn't a female teacher, then we could all just laugh about it and make jokes about how we wish we could be that student all while watching her get 5 months probation......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime