U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2011, 10:50 PM
 
1,738 posts, read 752,284 times
Reputation: 1371

Advertisements

Well, I don't understand it either myself, but I will say that while I was pregnant at 36 with my first and only child--- I would have a recurring nightmare that I would forget I was a mother once my baby was born and would leave the house without her, etc... I think because I had been single and doing my own thing for so long--- my subconscious mind was fearful that I would revert to those old (more self focused) habits once I was a Mom. Thank God it never happened, as she was (and 13 years later, still is) the #1 "thing" on my mind at all times. I cannot imagine the horror for a parent who realizes all too late what a tragic thing they have done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2011, 01:10 AM
 
Location: Dublin, CA
3,813 posts, read 3,659,438 times
Reputation: 3967
Happens every single day of the year, all over the world. Just arrested an 18 yr old "mother," of TWO, a few days ago for the very samething. 18 yrs old, has a 5 year old and 3 month old baby. Went into the store to go clothes shopping. Left the kids in the car, windows rolled up. Interior temp of the car: 134 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 01:48 AM
 
5,499 posts, read 4,575,571 times
Reputation: 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Happens every single day of the year, all over the world. Just arrested an 18 yr old "mother," of TWO, a few days ago for the very samething. 18 yrs old, has a 5 year old and 3 month old baby. Went into the store to go clothes shopping. Left the kids in the car, windows rolled up. Interior temp of the car: 134 degrees.
What's going on...makes my heart break!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 AM
 
51,993 posts, read 41,825,420 times
Reputation: 32437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
In this case which involve little children, especially babies who have no way of fending for themselves...I won't wait until I've walked in their shoe (I pray I never have to) before I say, "gross neglect." I have a soft spot for these little ones.
There was a case a number of years back where a young couple, getting limited sleep had a change in schedule and the dad was supposed to drop the kid off at the sitter and instead forgot he had the kid and proceeded on to work. Kid died in the car.

I think back over my life and on a few occasions I have completely brain-farted something and gotten away with it.

I don't know the specifics of the situation, it's possible she was on drugs or it's possible she just made a horrible mistake.

I feel kinda sick about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 08:23 AM
 
51,993 posts, read 41,825,420 times
Reputation: 32437
About 8-9 years ago around here a care worker buying\using drugs left 2 special needs guys (aged 30-40) in a car in 100degree weather.

As fate would have it the same day my wife tripped and hurt her shoulder.

I was in the emergency room when they rushed the 2 guys in on stretchers within a few feet of me (my wife was looped up on meds in another area being treated.) It was NOT a pretty sight as they quite frankly looked like chicken that had been in the oven too long.

The guy got a long long prison sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 10:42 AM
 
Location: FL
1,716 posts, read 2,626,891 times
Reputation: 1852
The automakers should react to these tragedies. I seem to remember my g/f's mom had a car that when the car door wasn't fully closed a bell went off and a voice would say "The door is ajar". Maybe have a voice and alarm that says "Remove all children and pets from the car" when you open the door....should be standard equipment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Dublin, CA
3,813 posts, read 3,659,438 times
Reputation: 3967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
The automakers should react to these tragedies. I seem to remember my g/f's mom had a car that when the car door wasn't fully closed a bell went off and a voice would say "The door is ajar". Maybe have a voice and alarm that says "Remove all children and pets from the car" when you open the door....should be standard equipment.
While well intentioned, I disagree. This is just one more example of having the government do everything for you. Mandatory breath tests in cars, now this. Its the parents responsibility and thus, how about they and everyone else in the world, take some personal responsibility. Its not always someone else's fault. I'm just waiting for some lawyer to sue and say their "client" isn't at fault. Its the nasty, corporate machine, wanting to maximize their profits...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2011, 12:27 PM
 
Location: You know... That place
1,899 posts, read 2,438,501 times
Reputation: 2057
There are a lot of items on the market to use as reminders. One is Child Minder. It reacts with a key chain. When your child's car seat is buckled, if the keys move more than 20 feet from the car seat, the key chain starts playing a song.

I saw another that had lights on the dash board that turned on when you turned off the car and started dinging.

I think that some of these stories are true tragedies for the child, the parent who forgot, everyone involved. There are some heart-wrenching stories of parents who changed their schedules, etc. Others are just plain bad parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Earth Wanderer, longing for the stars.
12,408 posts, read 16,485,955 times
Reputation: 8778
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
In this case which involve little children, especially babies who have no way of fending for themselves...I won't wait until I've walked in their shoe (I pray I never have to) before I say, "gross neglect." I have a soft spot for these little ones.
I believe we all have a soft spot in our hearts for children and animals, beings who are helpless in fending for themselves in an adult and complex world. The best people under constant pressure of jobs and bad relationships can wear down eventually and the mind just refuse to function properly. We all try to avoid the mishaps of life but sometimes life throws you a curve ball and sometimes the person whom it is thrown to just breaks inside.

It is easy to judge others. I do it all the time - but I am embarrassed at how often I recant of my snap judgements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2011, 03:50 PM
 
5,499 posts, read 4,575,571 times
Reputation: 5149
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
I believe we all have a soft spot in our hearts for children and animals, beings who are helpless in fending for themselves in an adult and complex world. The best people under constant pressure of jobs and bad relationships can wear down eventually and the mind just refuse to function properly. We all try to avoid the mishaps of life but sometimes life throws you a curve ball and sometimes the person whom it is thrown to just breaks inside.

It is easy to judge others. I do it all the time - but I am embarrassed at how often I recant of my snap judgements.
I'm sorry goldengrain...but, in grave situations such as child death...words like "I'm going through difficult times and my brain just didn't function properly" is hardly an excuse anymore when we take into consideration that this is now happening in a very alarming way.
It only takes one case of this to jolt parent's awareness...that indeed this is a real possibility and to take extra precautions when transporting toddlers from one place to another.
When I said..."gross neglect" I was being kind...I could have said, homicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top