Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 04:51 PM

94 posts, read 48,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Casey Anthony if convicted cannot profit ... but good ole Mom Cindy, George and Lee Anthony can sign book deals, movie deals, TV appearances and haul in mega bucks. I can see a forthcoming mini-series now compliments of the Anthony family.
So family members can profit from the case? Who knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 05:11 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Defense attorney's listen to the defendent, and vigorously defend the story that the defendent presnts. Which is why a scrupulous defense attorney would not have touched this case with a ten foot pole, after all CA is a KNOWN, pathological liar. Baez is on clear ground here, he could have suggested this as a possible scenario, and Casey readily agreed and ran with it, or she herself could have told him this story, and he took it at face value. He has no liability in this drama, client told him the information.

Baez saw CA as a bottomless check, with guaranteed payment, and the added bonus of media attention. He sees himself as an Orlando "F. Lee Bailey". Right.

You do realize that attorneys have ethics they must follow. Do you think Baez is going to risk his license and his livelihood over because his "client told him the information"? Hell NO. Attorneys grill their defendants even MORE harshly than the prosecution will.

Also, Casey IS entitled and has a right to a fair trial in this country. A GOOD and ETHICAL defense attorney understands that.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You do realize that attorneys have ethics they must follow. Do you think Baez is going to risk his license and his livelihood over because his "client told him the information"? Hell NO. Attorneys grill their defendants even MORE harshly than the prosecution will.

Also, Casey IS entitled and has a right to a fair trial in this country. A GOOD and ETHICAL defense attorney understands that.
It is not at all unusual for a defendant in one of these cases to turn on their trial attorney after conviction! Defense attorneys are not stupid and they surely don't want to have bar complaints or lose their bar card over doing something stupid.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:14 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Casey Anthony if convicted can't profit from Caylees' death. George and Cindy are free to profit anyway they chose.Hopefully they won't!
There are a couple of ways to look at it 1) they're taking blood money living the high life, grossly advancing their previuos status in life or 2) it's morally okay to receive some "pain and suffering" money and use most of the profits to assist in helping other in a similiar situation.

I recall Mark Lunsford taking a lot of heat with critics saying where is all his foundation money going and he got a brand new Harley Davidson.

I'm no fan of the Anthony's but if they got enough to provide their basic necissitys and where truly using money to help others that's one thing but the minute they purchase oceanfront property, expensive cars and cigarette boats...that's wrong IMO.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:20 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Baez grade is going down by the minute...He has proven zip from his opening statement!

Old 06-29-2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Baez grade is going down by the minute...He has proven zip from his opening statement!
tsk, tsk, tsk. Too much Nancy Grace.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:50 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Quote:
I do agree.....but then again betlebee, this is almost an impossible case to defend. Keeping in mind there is more to the story than the public will ever see in testimony, he knows he's fighting an uphill battle with little local support. BUT, Casey is due a fair trial, and my hat is really off to him for being willing to give it a shot....especially knowing the eyes of the world would be upon him and he has no trial experience of this magnitude.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:57 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Casey Anthony if convicted cannot profit ... but good ole Mom Cindy, George and Lee Anthony can sign book deals, movie deals, TV appearances and haul in mega bucks. I can see a forthcoming mini-series now compliments of the Anthony family.
They would rather have their granddaughter back, but since that can't happen, I feel no ill will if they get something back from all the hardship and heartache they've had to endure.

They also have a fund in Caylee's name to help other families of missing children:
Caylee Marie Anthony Foundation

Quote:
The Caylee Marie Anthony Foundation will prevent child abduction through the creation of awareness of child safety measures and the missing child epidemic; will provide support to families and law enforcement during child recovery efforts; and will assist in the well-being of children in need of comfort and support during difficult and stressful times.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:27 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I do agree.....but then again betlebee, this is almost an impossible case to defend. Keeping in mind there is more to the story than the public will ever see in testimony, he knows he's fighting an uphill battle with little local support. BUT, Casey is due a fair trial, and my hat is really off to him for being willing to give it a shot....especially knowing the eyes of the world would be upon him and he has no trial experience of this magnitude.
True but he shouldn't have be the defense lawyer...he is only doing it to get a name and he is not doing a very good job. Mason is way better, I really believe that Baez is hurting the case even more with his attitude.

He is having no respect whasoever for the Anthony's and it is showing again with the dad. If Baez attitude was different then it would be seen in a different light with the jury..JMO!

Ofcourse Casey deserves a fair trial...I still wonder when she is going to testify although it wouldn't be smart but I think she wants to speak to get her last 15 min. of fame and because she believes she is a great person and can fool anybody.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
True but he shouldn't have be the defense lawyer...he is only doing it to get a name and he is not doing a very good job. Mason is way better, I really believe that Baez is hurting the case even more with his attitude.

He is having no respect whasoever for the Anthony's and it is showing again with the dad. If Baez attitude was different then it would be seen in a different light with the jury..JMO!

Ofcourse Casey deserves a fair trial...I still wonder when she is going to testify although it wouldn't be smart but I think she wants to speak to get her last 15 min. of fame and because she believes she is a great person and can fool anybody.
Baez is ethically required by the Florida Bar to ZEALOUSLY represent his client, so I would suspect what you might consider "respect" for the Anthonys by Baez would mean not treating them as ordinary witnesses. If he did that, he would be failing in his responsibility to his client if he did not pursue the issues you've seen so far.

I don't know what it is you are seeing in CA at counsel table that informs you that she so deeply wants to take the stand and testify. I don't see that. She does not look to me like a defendant "itching" to testify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime