U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:57 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,626,891 times

Advertisements

After reading most of the posts on the various CA threads it seems the majority think he was terrible and in over his head. I disagree, first of all he's bringing a plastic butter knife to a gunfight with the media all but convicting CA before day one of the trial compounded with the damning evidence. IMO he must be doing something right, he get's the State to object to his statements every other sentence it seems.

IMO he has done a good job....notice how so many of the State's witnesses get defensive and evasive when cross-examined by Baez. Sure he screwed up and let the jail video evidence in but all in all he seems to hold his own. If Casey is convicted of all 7 charges I don't think one can blame Baez......he didn't have a lot to work with in the first place. What do you think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 12:30 PM

12,299 posts, read 18,421,290 times
Premature to rate, defense is just starting it's portion of the trial.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:52 PM

389 posts, read 640,180 times
Honestly I don't think Jose Baez is a bad lawyer, but I do think this is simply a case he can't defend. If any case is too hard to defend, despite the skill of the lawyer, it's hard to look good. And btw, the objections to his questions and the fact that they're almost all sustained is not a sign that he's good. It's a sign that he doesn't know what to ask. And his evidence are totally meaningless so far, but yeah, his side of the case is just starting. Let us see.

Jessie

Old 06-16-2011, 04:00 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,676,091 times
Horrible start for the defense today. After that opening statement the jury was probably just like the rest of us: waiting for Baez to start with a bang. Instead he bores them to tears with evidence experts. He better start being real specific on how they tie in because he is going to loose them. Fast.

My grade today: D

Old 06-16-2011, 04:11 PM

9,200 posts, read 9,280,929 times
Quote:
Premature to rate, defense is just starting it's portion of the trial.
Absolutely, I am so tired of people judging this case before its over. Maybe Mr. Baez has something to say. I'm trying to pay close attention. I think we all know what happened in this case, but that doesn't mean that:

1. I wish it wasn't true;
2. I am least open to hearing another version of events;
3. Our system demands everyone get a fair trial, or at least as fair a trial as is possible.

Whatever his faults, Baez has not been annoying, has not been a veritable junkyard dog during this case, and has acted politely.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:54 AM

1,422 posts, read 4,637,548 times
So Baez's strategy must be "draw things out to the nth + infinity degree of irrelevant minutia until the jury is so bored they will do anything (i.e., acquit) to get out of there."

Five people ejected from the gallery for sleeping already this morning.

Plus, the bug doctor needs some serious counseling about how to present this type of evidence to the jury. You can tell he loves his job and bugs, but he's just a little too happily excited about talking about bugs in dead bodies for a lay person. And why does Jose keep telling him to "slow down" - how can they go any slower? And the jury is not comprised of idiots - I am sure they can understand this "magott 101" lecture.

Last edited by didee; 06-17-2011 at 09:04 AM..

Old 06-17-2011, 09:36 AM

43,858 posts, read 44,618,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post
Honestly I don't think Jose Baez is a bad lawyer, but I do think this is simply a case he can't defend. ............

Jessie
As someone who speaks to reporters who actually attend all court proceedings on a daily basis.....you have hit the nail on the head.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:47 AM

51,974 posts, read 41,825,420 times
OJ's dream team wasn't going to spring this gal loose.

They have the body and the mom has been caught lying at every turn and DIDN'T EVEN REPORT THE KID MISSING......

Old 06-17-2011, 10:41 AM

This morning Baez brought in an insect expert ... Sigh.

I'm no lawyer. I have no law school under my belt. But looking at this defense, and the opening statement that Jose Baez gave the jury, shouldn't he be focusing much less on whether or not there was a body in the car and more on whether or not the baby drown/that George Anthony was connected to the death? That's my question: Why is he so bent on proving there was no body in the trunk? Their defense is that the baby drowned, so George Anthony transported the corpse somewhere to hide it (rediculous), but I proceed. Even if they do prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Caylee was not in the car, which they haven't yet, how is that gonna help their case? I think Baez is in a panick because, as I said before, he can't find a good way to defend this case. It's just not arguable at this point, and the defense has to roll witht the punches, bring up anything they can, and cross their fingers.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:45 AM

Oh, and by the way, I agree Mathguy, 100%. She's too guilty. It's not a case that's very defendable, that's certainly not Jose Baez's falt.

Jessie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or