U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 09:35 AM

12,439 posts, read 10,307,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You know, I've practiced law for 27 years. I've met hordes of prosecutors and only a couple fit the "Nancy Grace model". Perhaps, one of the hardest things for many people to understand is that a good prosecutor doesn't have to be a junkyard dog. What he/she has to do is to be able to do is have a strong grasp of facts and how facts are proven in a courtroom.

The best prosecutors I ever met were very even tempered people. If someone was truly innocent of a crime, they didn't want to pursue them. They could be convinced that they were wrong. What they required was proof. Most understand things like family members will sometimes lie to protect one another. What typically does set the prosecutors that I know off in a rage are people who routinely lie and give several different versions of the same event to the police.

Nancy Grace is a terrible affront to hundreds of hard working, dedicated criminal prosecutors in America who work daily to keep us safe from dangerous people. HLN does the criminal justice system a terrible disservice by keeping Nancy Grace on the payroll. Its evident that many people have come to see her for what she is--a woman totally lacking in integrity who will say anything to increase her ratings and her network's ratings.
I have met a few good prosecutors, but the majority that I have met only cared about convictions. It is a problem with the system that most prosecutors are elected and they want that conviction stat on their resume to get reelected. The system is broke and breeds Nancy Grace replicas all over the country.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 AM

218 posts, read 111,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
She is just like so mnay layers appearing on Tv most beig defense lawyers who want their hour of fame.Face it ;controversy sales looking at the rerality shows.The more outargeous the more popular.
Most being defense attorneys????!!!

Can you point out one defense attorney who has a TV show like Nancy Grace? And if you will notice, MOST of the defense attorneys Nancy Grace has on her show agree with her, so they don't even come close to representing the majority of defense attorneys out there. If a defense attorney disagrees with Nancy Grace, she doesn't invite them back on her show!

If you look at the TV shows with judges, you'll find that most of those people are former prosecutors too.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:10 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,257,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingwithpain View Post
Most being defense attorneys????!!!

Can you point out one defense attorney who has a TV show like Nancy Grace? And if you will notice, MOST of the defense attorneys Nancy Grace has on her show agree with her, so they don't even come close to representing the majority of defense attorneys out there. If a defense attorney disagrees with Nancy Grace, she doesn't invite them back on her show!

If you look at the TV shows with judges, you'll find that most of those people are former prosecutors too.

Nancy Grace is a dispicable person....with no regard for decent, honest reporting. She seems to have no sensitivity for any accused suspect and has publicly....verbally abused Casey Anthony and many other people. I believe she has caused Anthony 'grave damage' with slanderous...and libelious comments on her wicked TV program. I firmly believe Nancy Grace will answer to her Maker someday. Until then.....I pray to God....she is removed from the 'Airwaves'

Old 06-24-2011, 11:23 AM

13,818 posts, read 14,650,897 times
grace is a 'shock jock" just like howard stern, glenn beck and rush. she has a tv personalty and obviously her show is highly rated or it wouldn't be on so long. it is called show business for a reason. is she impartial? no, not at all. she does however call the defense guests to task when they back up a stupid statement from a defendant. don't like her don't watch her

casey has made her own self look bad

Old 06-24-2011, 01:57 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,465,508 times
At the risk of.... I am beginning to think that there are similarities w/Nancy Grace
Quote:
[IMO, Nancy Grace is only interested in herself and sensationalizing these murder cases in order to boost her viewship.
...dare I say it...w/Ann Coulter?????

Yikes!

Old 06-24-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
grace is a 'shock jock" just like howard stern, glenn beck and rush. she has a tv personalty and obviously her show is highly rated or it wouldn't be on so long. it is called show business for a reason. is she impartial? no, not at all. she does however call the defense guests to task when they back up a stupid statement from a defendant. don't like her don't watch her

casey has made her own self look bad
Because Grace has a law degree and practiced law as a prosecutor she should be held to a much higher standard. Of course, it has been brought to my attention that she had some problems during the time she worked as an attorney with ethical violations. Maybe Ms. Grace cannot find a job as an attorney these days. Anyway, an attorney who has been reprimanded for unethical behavior is not one that I personally would respect.

Defense attorneys are a good thing. They are the only thing between you and an OVER POWERFUL STATE. Defense attorneys are protecting all of us when they represent someone; they protect us by ensuring that the state (prosecutors and law enforcement) do have to follow the law.

I have never seen Nancy Grace make a good point against any defense attorney. She relies on the fact that few people in the public understand very well how the court system works so they will therefore not know the rules of court and evidence so she can say whatever she wants. She's not really an advocate for victims. If an attorney has to resort to unethical behavior to win a case by cheating, that attorney is violating the very core reasons for our justice system. Nancy Grace makes many, many stupid statements and completely mischaracterizes testimony. If she were able to win an argument with a good, highly reputable defense attorney, she would have those people on her show. She cannot, therefore, does not invite any of those attorneys to discuss the topics with her.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
At the risk of.... I am beginning to think that there are similarities w/Nancy Grace...dare I say it...w/Ann Coulter?????

Yikes!
LOL Ann Coulter. I think I have to give Ann Coulter points for being smarter than Nancy Grace, and I am no fan of Ann Coulter.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:13 PM

13,818 posts, read 14,650,897 times
Quote:
Because Grace has a law degree and practiced law as a prosecutor she should be held to a much higher standard. Of course, it has been brought to my attention that she had some problems during the time she worked as an attorney with ethical violations. Maybe Ms. Grace cannot find a job as an attorney these days. Anyway, an attorney who has been reprimanded for unethical behavior is not one that I personally would respect.

Defense attorneys are a good thing. They are the only thing between you and an OVER POWERFUL STATE. Defense attorneys are protecting all of us when they represent someone; they protect us by ensuring that the state (prosecutors and law enforcement) do have to follow the law.

I have never seen Nancy Grace make a good point against any defense attorney. She relies on the fact that few people in the public understand very well how the court system works so they will therefore not know the rules of court and evidence so she can say whatever she wants. She's not really an advocate for victims. If an attorney has to resort to unethical behavior to win a case by cheating, that attorney is violating the very core reasons for our justice system. Nancy Grace makes many, many stupid statements and completely mischaracterizes testimony. If she were able to win an argument with a good, highly reputable defense attorney, she would have those people on her show. She cannot, therefore, does not invite any of those attorneys to discuss the topics with her.

you are confusing an attorney and a tv personality. she may have a law degree but so do a lot of people. she is a tv personality that goes for shock value plain and simple. her law back ground and personal life as well as her style is why she has the job. why should she be held to a higher standard than any other reporter?

I also think defense attorneys are a great thing. how ever in this case the defense is putting up some things which are just not to be believed, when nancy questions the defense attorney and they try to back up stupidity with more stupidity she calls them on it and cuts them off. I would expect the same thing from a reporter who had a defense background if they were a reporter with a defense bias.

again to give her any more clout than that of a shock style tv reporter is not something I would consider. why would any one let this woman get under their skin?

Old 06-24-2011, 03:25 PM

6,587 posts, read 6,823,652 times
Quote:
LOL Ann Coulter. I think I have to give Ann Coulter points for being smarter than Nancy Grace, and I am no fan of Ann Coulter.
I have a feeling you and quality guy won't be starting the Nancy Grace Fan Club anytime soon

Old 06-24-2011, 04:07 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,465,508 times
Quote:

I have a feeling you and quality guy won't be starting the Nancy Grace Fan Club anytime soon
Hey what a great idea for a thread -- not sure what category we could put it in....
maybe a Fan Club Thread and we could have a list of candidates/members....and categorize with: hair color / intelligence / arrogance / narcissism and the like...

What do you think?

Okay, perhaps this is not quite the forum / spot [True Crime] for this additional comment or to; however, given the umbrella / scope of the conversation, we could keep it under True Crime Commentators - Discovery ID and other reporting agencies and reporters...what do you think?

Getting back to the trial [and to keep everyone happy], I thought, generally speaking, a commentator is supposed to do precisely that...be a commentator, be as objective as possible AND if there are others who want to call in w/their opinions, that commentator is the mechanism in which to do so...and what purpose does it do to have a commentator inflame an already highly emotional and highly volatile court room situation, hmm, don't get the reasoning behind that.....

Thoughts? Comments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or