U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 09:53 PM

17,386 posts, read 21,228,976 times

Advertisements

I just finished reading Stolen Innocence, about growing up in a Polygamous Sect, Teenage Brides, Warren Jeffs. This book reads like fiction, but it's truly a true crime book, ridden with crimes.

One younger man he had abused he even committed suicide! Murder charges?

What a nightmare to prosecute this cult criminal, Warren Jeffs, my sympathies to the judges, and prosecuting attorneys trying hard to put this man behind bars and keep him there! Good luck, seeking refuge behind religion.

And still being looked up as the Prophet by many of his followers, he can still continue his crimes from his prison cell!

Do you think Texas, with his upcoming trial there, is going to have any better luck keeping this man behind bars and strictly monitoring his incoming/outgoing mail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 10:23 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,708,488 times
No, it is just a drop in the barrel of this crime. The FLDS church is a cult. I see this as a huge issue, that Utah pretty much put a blind eye to these crimes for many years, until people started highlighting the child sexual abuse issues. But it is still not enough.

This is not a religious issue, this cult is as dangerous as Jim Jones cult, or the mess in Waco, Texas. It is just waiting to happen...

Old 06-23-2011, 10:19 PM

17,386 posts, read 21,228,976 times
And for many of those trying hard to break away from this cult, it's an uphill struggle. A dead end for a number of them.

They haven't been properly educated, (mostly religious instruction) the church owns the houses, thus, they've never know what it takes to make a rent or mortgage payment, limited job skills, no money management skills to make a go of it on the outside world.

Similar to someone being released from prison after many years. Small wonder they're reluctant to leave and face the real world.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:55 PM

15,891 posts, read 15,293,849 times
Read Escape by Carolyn Jessop. Her followup is Triumph. Both are excellent. Nonfiction. She was raised in the FLDS. She was allowed to get a college degre before Warren Jeffs took over. After he took over things became unbearable. They were bad before Jeffs but turned into total hell after.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:57 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,782,961 times
Thanks for reminding me of this cult. I am going to look for all the books mentioned on my next visit to the library.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:16 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,708,488 times
There has been a huge problem, for decades in Southern Utah, with young boys being thrown out, with no job skills, basically at age 16-18, just to tough it out on their own. There have been private people who help these kids out, out of the goodness of their heart. My Grandmother was one, she always had a couple of these boys staying at her house, and she helped them find jobs, and get on their feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime