U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 05:21 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,263,761 times

Advertisements

The horrible case that occurred in Miami involving twins Nubia and Victor, is extremely troubling on seventy different levels.

When I posted the profile of abusive families that I had learned a long time ago in a Family Systems class, I failed to mention one more - over grown shrubs and bushes, high security, drawn drapes and or shades.

Jasper you are RIGHT - no one wants to touch this one. Not even Nancy Grace.
I am actually thinking about returning to school to study Public Policy and Child Welfare.
I can't sit by anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 10:53 PM

Salova, I am sorry for the delay in my response. I have had a very busy week and sadly, I have seen this thread fall by the way side, There are five separate and active posts about Caylee, but only five people posted or responded to the initial post about these other children!

I think that America is drawn to cases that involve middle class people, with whom they are able to identify. I also think that there is a preference by the media for middle class (and upper middle class) cases especially those involving female children, and children who are white.

This is not only about race, that's one factor but I think it's the least important. More important, are the class of the victim and perpetrators, their photogenicity and general physical attractiveness, and gender. Unless boys are really young, the cases seldom capture the interest of the media - or the public.

Some cases that have captured the imagination of the public in a big way - Jonbenet Ramsey, Elizabeth Smart, Natalie Holloway and Polly Klass. Anyone see a pattern here?

Old 07-01-2011, 03:49 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,885,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Re Christian Choate. This is outrageous! but I know that this is one of those cases that will get little if any national attention. In fact I never heard of it until now.

Why Caylee Anthony and not Christian Choate? I have my thoughts, what are yours?
Sad story.

Race card again? Black family in Detroit vs White teen involved w drugs and an older man in Florida. Which story sells papers.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:20 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,059,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Salova, I am sorry for the delay in my response. I have had a very busy week and sadly, I have seen this thread fall by the way side, There are five separate and active posts about Caylee, but only five people posted or responded to the initial post about these other children!

I think that America is drawn to cases that involve middle class people, with whom they are able to identify. I also think that there is a preference by the media for middle class (and upper middle class) cases especially those involving female children, and children who are white.

This is not only about race, that's one factor but I think it's the least important. More important, are the class of the victim and perpetrators, their photogenicity and general physical attractiveness, and gender. Unless boys are really young, the cases seldom capture the interest of the media - or the public.

Some cases that have captured the imagination of the public in a big way - Jonbenet Ramsey, Elizabeth Smart, Natalie Holloway and Polly Klass. Anyone see a pattern here?
Absolutely. If you look on the missing children website, you see hundreds and hundreds of missing children of all races, ages, and sizes. Children are murdered every day. What determines which one of these cases get any media attention? A pretty, white little girl from a middle class family is going to get the coverage before a poor little black boy from the projects. Sometimes if a case is particularly gruesome or sensational, it will get more coverage. What it boils down to is whatever will sell papers and get ratings. People want to be fascinated, distracted, or even entertained, and the media wants to give them the stories that will do that.

There is a little girl who was brutally murdered in Chicago named Shenosha Richards. She was six years old, raped and murdered by a woman neighbor. Years later, when Sandra Cantu was sexually assaulted and murdered by a woman, it was all over the news and people kept reporting how it NO woman EVER raped and murdered a child before. I remember thinking, what about little Shenosha Richards? Why was it such an outrage and horror when Sandra was murdered, but nobody even knows Shenosha's name?

Old 07-01-2011, 07:36 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,732,472 times
The Atlanta child murders received plenty of media attention, all black children killed. The media had it related to the KKK. The story was dropped when a black male was arrested for the killing. Apparently black serial killers are not interesting? But white ones are?

Old 07-01-2011, 07:54 PM

12,770 posts, read 9,845,745 times
What a horrible story. I can't begin to imagine why this isn't Headlines across the country. It drove me crazy when the media wouldn't cover the Carr Brothers case, another shop of horrors. There are so many out there.
I admit the Anna Nicole story fascinated me, but don't understand the media obsession with Natalie Holloway. I also don't understand why there was so much coverage of the young girl in Italy.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:06 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,059,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The Atlanta child murders received plenty of media attention, all black children killed. The media had it related to the KKK. The story was dropped when a black male was arrested for the killing. Apparently black serial killers are not interesting? But white ones are?
Exactly my point. The Atlanta Child Murders was only interesting when it was believed some white supremacist was trying to wipe out a whole generation of black children.

Then, when it was discovered that it was just a black man killing black people, nobody was as interested.

If Wayne Williams had been accused of killing 29 white children, what do you think the response would have been? He would be right at the top of the most hated, vile murders list along with Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, and Ted Bundy.

Also, Jeffrey Dahmer's victims were mostly black. And some were male prostitutes or homeless, not your typical sympathetic victim. What got them noticed was the horror-movie gory way they were killed.

It boils down to whatever captures people's fascination or interest, and the average murder of an average child in America simply doesn't interest most people.

Old 07-02-2011, 11:35 AM

EXACTLY!!! You say the name "Wayne Williams" to the average non-True Crime buff and they will draw a blank. Or a wrong answer. Case in point - I just asked my husband "who is Wayne Williams?" His first reply - "I have no idea" then he thought a bit and said "A country singer?"

I am going to break with the tide of opinion and posit the following: Race while a factor, is not the most important factor in what cases receive media and public attention, class and gender are.

I think that if the beautiful daughter of a prosperous and photogenic African American couple, was abducted and found gruesomely murdered in the woods, and the abductor was found to be a former child molester who served time and was released, who had lived a life that included many brushes with the law, was a drifter, and was white, the press would pick up the story and it would be of interest.

Lower class 13 year old white boy kept in a cage and killed by his family? Much less interest.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:06 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,732,472 times
I think Nubia's case in Miami is going to be buried. Hispanic people don't want to show what goes on in their household's, I have seen Hispanic kids abused, and other Hispanic people are very protective of the abuser--like it is cultural, like that is okay?

I believe the CPS worker was Hispanic, and just let everything slide because of it. That is why I don't believe CPS workers should match the abuser.

Old 07-02-2011, 04:59 PM

I think you might be right Jasper. The worker who did not trust the family and wanted to halt the adoption was not Hispanic.

I think you might be right about choosing a worker of a different ethnicity that the accused family. There is such a thing as too much cultural sensitivity. There are certain cultural traditions that should not be treasured or protected - within any culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or