U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 05:16 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,708,488 times

Advertisements

That is for sure! Especially here in Miami...this is a multi-cultural society here...BUT this is the United States! I don't care if it is okay to beat your kid with a machete in Haiti..that is NOT okay here... Miami is the melting pot like you have never seen. But CPS problems here, are that there is too much 'cultural sensitivity". I am whiite, so I was suspect, for being racist...because I was upset that a Haitian Mother hit her kids with a machete...Whatever...forget about me working at CPS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 05:38 PM

12,770 posts, read 9,838,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I think Nubia's case in Miami is going to be buried. Hispanic people don't want to show what goes on in their household's, I have seen Hispanic kids abused, and other Hispanic people are very protective of the abuser--like it is cultural, like that is okay?

I believe the CPS worker was Hispanic, and just let everything slide because of it. That is why I don't believe CPS workers should match the abuser.
Feelin left out, new to these threads. Who's Nubia and who is Wayne Williams?
Ah, just saw a reference to twins. Have a link?

Old 07-02-2011, 05:41 PM

Group begins review of how system failed Nubia - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/25/2086050/group-begins-review-of-how-system.html - broken link)

Nubia^^^

Wayne Williams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-02-2011, 10:25 PM

18,664 posts, read 23,235,665 times
Jasper gave you rep once again and this time they let me!
We think a lot alike!

I am white too. There are child rearing methods that some white people in some regions of the US ascribe to that are just plain WRONG.
There are ways of disciplining children in all cultures that are just not OK.
CPS bends over backwards for all of the wrong reasons - the culture, the preservation of the family, the parents - really everything but the child.

In a nutshell, that is what's wrong.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:57 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,759,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

1. frequent moves within the same area
2. lack of contact with others in the community
3. the presence of a step parent, boyfriend or girlfriend of the parent
4. illness or disability of the child
5. frequent absences from school
6. low socio-economic status.
Unfortunately, these "profiles' are often just a form of harrassment for decent parents.
I know, because I'm a step-parent and we at one time we were riding the cusp of "low-income"
My step-daughter just had the double curse of badluck and clumsiness.
These are some instances where we were 'investigated"
My S-d fell down some steps at church while under the care of her Sunday school class...C&Y (Children and Youth) still came by "to check up on her"
She got into an arguement at a friend's house with a little girl, got her head gashed against the radiator...again, C&Y showed up.
She was at her cousin's, their huge dog pushed her down, catching her with his claws...again, C&Y showed up.
then there wass her bike accident where she got her shoelace caught in the chain, ended up with a brush-burn on her forearm and knee....yep C&Y AGAIN!
My other two biological children had accidents too, both at our house and friend's houses, and I never had C&Y visit over them.

Yet I knew a girl who left her kids with her sister and disappeared for 2 weeks and C&Y would do NOTHING....then later she left the girls at a crackhouse and the Sister had to harrass C&Y to do anything, and once they got them out of the crackhouse, they would not let the sister have them or visit them, because "mom" requested she not see them...instead they were adopted out (eventually) to strangers...after "mom" was given visitation and several chances to get them back.
so yeah, C&Y IMO are about worthless.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:23 PM

22,716 posts, read 16,817,419 times
It is not that the "current" system is broken, it's that the system has been broken for decades.

I know of someone who was severely abused back in the 70s. CPS in CA had been out several times. Interviews of neighbors revealed that they didn't know of one little girl who lived there. The family had been living there for four months and the neighbors never saw her.

Before that, the children had been taken out and put in to foster homes time and again and then returned when the mother figure agreed not to let the father figure back in the house. She would "comply" but was actually hiding their father when CPS came over. And the beatings would continue.

The youngest boy was smothered by a pillow but thankfully did not die. The older boys were observed coming home from school, going in to the garage and then in to the back yard, sitting there in a catatonic state during a visit by social workers.

The daughter neighbors didn't know existed? She was eventually found on a visit by a social worker. The front room looked great. All cleaned up for show. But, the social worker noticed a smell coming from a back bedroom.

She walked out of the house and called the police. And then they found the little girl. In the back bedroom, in a closet. She was about 4 years old, sitting in her own feces and urine, wearing only a knit cap on her head. When they took the cap off of her head, they found two huge wounds on her head where she had been beaten with a belt and the buckle broke open wounds on the top and back of her head. She had been locked in there for four months.

This was after the child had already suffered a broken arm after being thrown across the room, and brought back to live in the same family. This was after the child had been brought in after suffering severe bruising on the face about the eyes and nose when she was a baby, being beaten with the bottle when she wouldn't "stop crying". This was after she had been brought in for burns on her face and body from a "bath". Each and every time, the child and all the children were returned to the family.

Once the girl was found, the father was arrested and thrown in to jail for one whole year. He beat the little girl for four years and he went to jail for one year. One entire year.

And then? He became a reserve officer, basically a police officer part time. He had abused and neglected his children to the point that one was on the verge of death, (the little girl), and because, at the time, the state of CA was so protective of the "parents" in these cases, the record was sealed and this "father" went on to be a reservist cop. And a karate instructor teaching kids!

So, the system has been broken for a very long time.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:44 PM

18,664 posts, read 23,235,665 times
No one is saying that this is a "new phenomenon"
Child Protective Services is relatively "new" in the scheme of things. It's been around for about 30-40 years, following the "discovery of battered child syndrome" in the 1960s.

It was made worse by efforts to restore families that clearly never worked.
Historically, the 1970s are not ancient history.
Radical changes need to be made in public policy with regard to children, and our definition of family needs to change.Radically.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:43 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,057,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
That is for sure! Especially here in Miami...this is a multi-cultural society here...BUT this is the United States! I don't care if it is okay to beat your kid with a machete in Haiti..that is NOT okay here... Miami is the melting pot like you have never seen. But CPS problems here, are that there is too much 'cultural sensitivity". I am whiite, so I was suspect, for being racist...because I was upset that a Haitian Mother hit her kids with a machete...Whatever...forget about me working at CPS.

I am African American, and while I do think there are cultural differences in discipline, I think abuse is abuse in any culture. Most black people I know believe in spanking, sometimes with a belt or a slipper or other object, but don't believe in beating until there are bruises and open wounds. Some whites hear about a child getting spanked with a belt and think that's abuse. I think the bottom line should be, leaving welts, cuts, bruises, etc. on a child is abuse. Everyone has the right to discipline their child however they see fit, but they do not have the right to abuse them.

I absolutely agree that once you live in the US, the laws of our country apply. It might be OK in another country to beat your kid with a machete, circumsize girls with a dull rusty knife, force 10 year olds into marriage, or whatever it may be, but that is not OK here, no matter where you are from and what your culture is.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:39 AM

46 posts, read 67,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
EXACTLY!!! You say the name "Wayne Williams" to the average non-True Crime buff and they will draw a blank. Or a wrong answer. Case in point - I just asked my husband "who is Wayne Williams?" His first reply - "I have no idea" then he thought a bit and said "A country singer?"

I am going to break with the tide of opinion and posit the following: Race while a factor, is not the most important factor in what cases receive media and public attention, class and gender are.

I think that if the beautiful daughter of a prosperous and photogenic African American couple, was abducted and found gruesomely murdered in the woods, and the abductor was found to be a former child molester who served time and was released, who had lived a life that included many brushes with the law, was a drifter, and was white, the press would pick up the story and it would be of interest.

Lower class 13 year old white boy kept in a cage and killed by his family? Much less interest.
you may get a different response if you ask if theyve heard of the atlanta child murders. blacks now make the majority of serial killers by the way. sadly, stories like this one in gary indiana and the atlanta child murders of the 70's are common in the south.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:12 AM

I don't believe in hitting children. Period. Parents need to learn pro-active parenting skills, positive parenting works. There are reasons for child mis-behavior, and appropriate responses do not include hitting. That is not a solution.

However, the parent in this situation was obviously criminal, with an antiIsocial personality disorder, that enjoyed inflicting pain, and controlling others. It is doubtful any type of intervention would have helped this parent, he was wired wrong. Some people don't deserve the opportunity to be parents, no amount of intervention could have corrected this parent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or