Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did judge Perry recess court for the entire day?
Possible miss-trial 2 12.50%
possible plea agreement 1 6.25%
Lawyer may be in trouble on deffense or prosecution team 2 12.50%
Issue with the jury or a specific member of the jury 0 0%
Issue with a member of Casey Anthony's family 2 12.50%
Other 1 6.25%
I dont know 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:41 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,826,916 times

Advertisements

So, I have not been keeping up with the latest of events...is there a reason this happened or are we still speculating...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 01:51 PM

94 posts, read 48,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
So, I have not been keeping up with the latest of events...is there a reason this happened or are we still speculating...thanks!
Competency tests were ordered for casey.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:07 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,826,916 times
Thanks, appreciate it! Oh brother, my opinion - she knows what she is doing, she is very competent and...

Old 06-28-2011, 04:58 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,406 times
I also read somewhere today that the defense had requested that a whole new jury be seated, because FL judge declared death penalty unconstitutional. Haven't heard any more about that one...can you imagine starting all over again!

Old 06-28-2011, 05:56 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,889,603 times
Caey A. is perfectly competent. She smiles and laughs and jokes with people when the jury is out of the room, I always see her taking notes and whispering things to her lawyers...... I have no doubt in my mind that this is simply a ploy to delay the inevitable.

On a side note, no I cant imagine starting all over. If that happens, I wont be following as intently as I have been. Im already waisting too much time on this, but once I got started, I had to see it to the end. Not to mention that it would be extremely stupid of her lawyers to want to start all over. They will never find another jury that isnt unbiased.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I also read somewhere today that the defense had requested that a whole new jury be seated, because FL judge declared death penalty unconstitutional. Haven't heard any more about that one...can you imagine starting all over again!
Miami federal judge rules Florida’s death penalty unconstitutional - Florida - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/06/22/2279518/miami-federal-judge-floridas-death.html - broken link)

This has to do with the penalty phase of a death penalty case. If CA is found guilty of Count 1 and goes to a sentencing phase trial, that is where this issue will be a problem. If they use the old method for sentencing it could certainly open the door for at least a new sentencing trial later down the road. The defense would be ineffective if they did not file the motion they filed.

"A Miami federal judge ruled Wednesday that the way Florida courts mete out the death penalty is unconstitutional because juries — not judges — should be the ones to spell out which details about the crime justify execution.
U.S. District Judge Jose E. Martinez ordered that Paul H. Evans, convicted in a 1991 murder-for-hire case in Vero Beach, must receive a new sentencing hearing.
The ruling, likely to be argued in appellate courts for years, does not strike down Florida’s capital-punishment law. But it could force lawmakers to change the statute, and could give recent convicts new avenues for appeal, legal experts say"

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/06/22/2279518/miami-federal-judge-floridas-death.html#ixzz1QcSWdY1l (broken link)

Old 06-28-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Caey A. is perfectly competent. She smiles and laughs and jokes with people when the jury is out of the room, I always see her taking notes and whispering things to her lawyers...... I have no doubt in my mind that this is simply a ploy to delay the inevitable.

On a side note, no I cant imagine starting all over. If that happens, I wont be following as intently as I have been. Im already waisting too much time on this, but once I got started, I had to see it to the end. Not to mention that it would be extremely stupid of her lawyers to want to start all over. They will never find another jury that isnt unbiased.
George Anthony did not do well at all on the witness stand today, IMO.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:20 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,646,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritos View Post
Oh yeah, I think George took a few trips on River Cruise! But it has nothing to do with the facts in this case!!

Old 06-28-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Oh yeah, I think George took a few trips on River Cruise! But it has nothing to do with the facts in this case!!
Yes, it does. George lying about the relationship does not look good for his credibility. If he lied about that, what else might he have told a little lie about?

He made himself look very guilty of having an intimate relationship with that woman. Then if the woman comes in to testify and testifies about the things George told her about the case, it definitely affects what the jury thinks about the facts. It will be a question of fact as to whether or not George Anthony told her that the death of Caylee was a horrible accident which snowballed out of control.

Old 06-28-2011, 06:38 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,889,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritos View Post
Maybe in your opinion, I thought he was confident and firm in what he was saying. And river cruise or whatever she wants to be called, is obviously trying to cash in on the fame of this case. Also, even if they did have an affair, you still have to prove that he said to her what she is claiming that he did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime