U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 06:51 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,056,854 times

Advertisements

The more I read about Casey Anthony, the more I'm reminded of Diane Downs, the woman who shot her three children in 1983, killing one of them.

They both are attractive, personable women, who use their looks and personality to manipulate. (Although, judging from pictures, I don't think Diane Downs was all that attractive, but apparently others did.)

They both seem to crave attention. They both seem to be promiscuous party girls who wanted to do what they wanted unburdened by children and responsibilities.

They are both unbelievable liars. Casey's "Zanny the Nanny" and Diane's "Bushy-haired Stranger" come from the same twisted fairy tale.

Both of them claimed sexual abuse by their fathers. I do think in Diane's case, she actually may have told the truth about that one single thing.

And like Diane Downs, I think Casey Anthony is a sociopath. I don't know if she killed Caylee in a fit of rage, neglect, or just to be rid of her, but whatever the reason, I believe SHE and she alone killed that little girl. I think just like Diane Downs, she will blame anybody or say anything to get herself off the hook.

Diane Downs was convicted to life in prison plus some years on top of that. She comes up for parole here and there, but it is and probably will always be denied. Seeing as it can't be proved just how Caylee was killed, I really don't see Casey getting the death penalty. I bet she'll get life. And, just like her child murdering soul mate Diane, she'll spend the rest of her life protesting her innocence, her family will have their dumb "Free Casey" websites and petitions, and she'll NEVER tell the truth about what happened to that little girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 06:55 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,636,834 times
I hadn't thought of it but you're right. There are a lot of comparisons. (I was thinking CA would make a great book by Ann Rule.)

Old 07-01-2011, 07:16 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,694,472 times
I agree. Borderline Personality Disorder.

They love drama, they lie, and live a life of denial of reality. Which is why they frequently steal, because they spend money, like they are Princesses. Children are a means to an end to these women, like a possession. And when they are in the way, they are disposed of, like old shoes.

These women as Mothers are alternately excessively wonderful to their kids, when there is an audience. And neglectful when there is no audience. They usually dump their kids on others, and use the child as a manipulation tool in relationships.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:28 PM

43,858 posts, read 44,589,257 times
I agree as well. As I posted in the other thread, people like this actually believe their own lies.

Quote:
These women as Mothers are alternately excessively wonderful to their kids, when there is an audience. And neglectful when there is no audience.
What a great way to state it.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:34 PM

18,634 posts, read 23,224,516 times
There are many similarities between Casey Anthony and Diane Downes. I think Casey Anthony is worse. More spoiled more entitled and of a different generation.

I am not sure if Downes father abused her. She later recanted and said that her attorney told her to say that.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:47 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,056,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
There are many similarities between Casey Anthony and Diane Downes. I think Casey Anthony is worse. More spoiled more entitled and of a different generation.

I am not sure if Downes father abused her. She later recanted and said that her attorney told her to say that.
The only reason I believe Diane Downs told the truth about being molested is that it didn't just pop up when she was on trial for murder, as it did with Casey Anthony. According to the book Small Sacrifices, she told a number of people throughout her life that her father abused her, including her ex husband, her ex lover, and I believe a psychologist when she was a surrogate mom.

I'm not sure who's worse though. They're both pretty disgusting. Neither one has the slightest ounce of remorse over the loss of their child. Those pictures of Casey dancing and partying while her baby is missing is just revolting.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:11 PM

25,876 posts, read 39,135,773 times
I never heard of this case but you could be right that she will get life but how much do we hear about Scott Peterson and then sooner then later we will get the Drew Peterson Drowning trials....

Casey will not be heard of that much, maybe more due to me living in Florida in the Tampa Bay area, but perhaps more about the media following Cindy & George, not Lee, he will be forgotten sooner then later?..jmo

Old 07-04-2011, 07:44 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 15 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,828,629 times
Diane Downs looked more "ill" from the outside--the giggling, inappropriate affect, etc., but there are some similiarities. When you look at Anthony's affect, she looks unaffected, only involved for theatre, that type of thing. You can see/feel no remorse in her. And, her face looks angry, pouty. Maybe she truly feels she didn't do wrong? Or, shouldn't be prosecuted;after all her needs should have come first? Scary and chilling.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:38 PM

43,858 posts, read 44,589,257 times
This case is also a lot like Susan Smith who said her kids were abducted and made up an elaborate lie...but the truth was she let them slowly drown in a vehicle she submerged into a river.

Susan Smith - Profile of Child Killer Susan Smith

Diane, Susan and Casey are all attractive young women who appeared to love their kids in public.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:51 PM

4,196 posts, read 5,245,893 times
I read a book About Susan Smith years ago..
I dont really think Casy neglicted her Daughter or otherwise wanted anything Bad to happin to her..WHEN she wanted her..
There just came a time in her life where little Caylee became nothing but an inconvience to her..

Honestly I dont know what to think about what the Hell was in her head when she did what she did..IF she did what she did.

Rememer everyone, she has not yet been proven guilty...
Yeah I believe she did it, so does eveyone.. OJ got away with it though and he's still alive.. Dont be shocked if it goes the other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime