Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2011, 12:35 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
This jury didn't know the meaning of reasonable doubt.
Wanna bet? I can show you the exact verbiage that is given to jurors in criminal cases explaining what reasonable doubt is.

Quote:
There was plenty of reason to convict.
Not beyond a reasonable doubt.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:37 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Wanna bet? I can show you the exact verbiage that is given to jurors in criminal cases explaining what reasonable doubt is.

I'll take you up on that. Please share what was given to the jurors in this case.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:38 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post

That doesn't mean this particular jury in question grasped the concept properly.

Old 07-15-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
I'll take you up on that. Please share what was given to the jurors in this case.
Quote:
[SIZE=2]3.7 PLEA OF NOT GUILTY; REASONABLE DOUBT;[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]AND BURDEN OF PROOF[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2] The defendant has entered a plea of not guilty. This means you must presume or believe the defendant is innocent. The presumption stays with the defendant as to each material allegation in the [information] [indictment] through each stage of the trial unless it has been overcome by the evidence to the exclusion of and beyond a reasonable doubt.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2] To overcome the defendant's presumption of innocence, the State has the burden of proving the crime with which the defendant is charged was committed and the defendant is the person who committed the crime.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2] The defendant is not required to present evidence or prove anything.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2] Whenever the words "reasonable doubt" are used you must consider the following:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2] It is recommended that you use this instruction to define reasonable doubt during voir dire. State v. Wilson, 686 So.2d 569 (Fla. 1996).[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]A reasonable doubt is not a mere possible doubt, a speculative, imaginary or forced doubt. Such a doubt must not influence you to return a verdict of not guilty if you have an abiding conviction of guilt. On the other hand, if, after carefully considering, comparing and weighing all the evidence, there is not an abiding conviction of guilt, or, if, having a conviction, it is one which is not stable but one which wavers and vacillates, then the charge is not proved beyond every reasonable doubt and you must find the defendant not guilty because the doubt is reasonable.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]It is to the evidence introduced in this trial, and to it alone, that you are to look for that proof.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]A reasonable doubt as to the guilt of the defendant may arise from the evidence, conflict in the evidence, or the lack of evidence.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]If you have a reasonable doubt, you should find the defendant not guilty. If you have no reasonable doubt, you should find the defendant guilty.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Comment[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2] This instruction was adopted in 1981 and was amended in 1997.[/SIZE]
http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/j...3/p1c3s3.7.rtf

Old 07-15-2011, 12:48 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,335,548 times
Quote:
smells like a duck

Old 07-15-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That doesn't mean this particular jury in question grasped the concept properly.
Oh but they did. In fact this jury, despite the emotionally driven outrage of their detractors, did their duty quite well.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:24 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
I'd like to remind everyone of the Terms of Service which say, in part:

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website.
Although this is a divisive topic, I ask that everyone please keep these guidelines in mind as you post.

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:28 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Reasonable doubt means there has to be a concrete reason to believe the defendent is not guilty. No pie in the sky conjecture made up by the defense which has no evidence to back it up.

There is NO evidence that points to anyone else to be the murderer of Caylee. Her disappearance was covered up by her mother for 31 days and was covered with elaborate excuses to her disappearance that was found out to be lies.. this is confirmation of guilt. Casey's demeanor in the interaction of her friends showed no emotion of her daughter being missing. No cares at all. Her constant lies to her parents to cover up the whereabouts of Caylee. she is in Tampa with me..Caylee is with me in Jacksonville all lies to her parents in the cover up of the whereabouts of Caylee points to Casey's guilt.

I don't see any evidence that points to anyone else in the murder of Caylee. Extremely strong evidence of the guilt of Casey. And this is just the beginning of the evidence of guilt. All the other physical evidence found at the scene of the body points to Casey's guilt.

I don't see any reasonable doubt. No one else covered up the whereabouts of Caylee. It screams guilty.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Reasonable doubt means there has to be a concrete reason to believe the defendent is not guilty.
Wrong. It simply means that there is another plausible explanation.

Quote:
No pie in the sky conjecture made up by the defense which has no evidence to back it up.

There is NO evidence that points to anyone else to be the murderer of Caylee.
You need to go back and re-read what I posted. Here, let me help you.

Quote:
The defendant is not required to present evidence or prove anything.
That quote is taken directly from the Florida Supreme Court's document for jury instructions regarding reasonable doubt.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:39 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
It cannot be speculative. MADE UP WITHOUT EVIDENCE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime