U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-06-2011, 01:46 PM
 
288 posts, read 133,886 times
Reputation: 110

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
They are very much 12 random people. A pool of "hundreds" of people is exactly that--random. Yes, attorneys from both sides pick the jury, I understand that. But the defense has an edge in that situation, as they do in all facets of a trial.

A number of reasonable possibilities? The one the defense presented was denied by the child's grandfather! And that is the ONLY possibility that was presented by the defense.
Do you know specifically how the process of jury selection works? I think not if you think that the defense has an "edge." Do you think the defense gets to reject more jurors than the state?

 
Old 07-06-2011, 01:49 PM
 
758 posts, read 1,036,648 times
Reputation: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
You are wrong. There is a petition for making it a federal crime to not report your child missing, that already has 45k signatures. We can still take action and prevent things like this from happening in the future. Don't be so complacent.
No matter how many signatures it has, it is still not going to change anything
 
Old 07-06-2011, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 28,916,147 times
Reputation: 7273
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
There is a juror now asking for large sums of money for interviews. For shame.
Yes I told my husband they were holding out for dateline .
I hope nobody pays that juror for his/her half-a**ed opinions. This shouldn't be about making money. A child is DEAD and the killer goes unpunished.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 28,916,147 times
Reputation: 7273
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDFreaker View Post
No matter how many signatures it has, it is still not going to change anything
For THIS case it won't, but maybe for a case in the future it can.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 01:52 PM
 
Location: N Atlanta
4,586 posts, read 3,397,186 times
Reputation: 2311
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt30 View Post
There was conflicting scientific testimony about whether there was ever a body in that car, and if there was, how long it was in there. We also know Casey didn't have exclusive use of the car. Her parents had a set of keys. Also there was no testimony about who dumped the body in the woods. The only evidence about that was the presence of duct tape which George Anthony used quite frequently. .
What about all of the people that smelled human decomp in the car including Cindy, George (twice), Simon Birch, Bloise, the cadaver dog guy, Dr Vass, etc ? Who was driving the car at the time ? Who left the car at Amscot ? Means nothing I suppose ... as far as dumping the body in the woods, no one saw Scott Peterson dump Lacey in San Francisco Bay. Where is he now ? There are plenty of cases where circumstantial evidence and common sense was used to convict someone and put them away.

Also, there is no way in hell that the jury could have gone through 6 weeks of testimony and evidence in 10 hours. They had their minds made up when they started deliberating. Now they want $$$ for talking ...
 
Old 07-06-2011, 01:52 PM
 
288 posts, read 133,886 times
Reputation: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Yeah right, the system that works so well is designed to allow defense attorneys to lie in their opening statements.
Opening statements are NOT EVIDENCE.

The system is designed to prevent an ALL-POWERFUL STATE (government) from being able to unfairly arrest and imprison people without proving their case, therefore, presumed innocent until PROVEN guilty.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 01:53 PM
 
Location: California
1,028 posts, read 1,144,711 times
Reputation: 828
The jury was stupid. Juror number one didn't even know how to respond when asked if her verdict was verified and true. They didn't take notes. They didn't ask to see any evidence. The alternate juror states they all believed George Anthony was involved. So the jail conversation where George was trying to get information out of Casey and was trying to convince her to talk to an FBI agent, was all an act? And they actually believe "River Cruz" when she said he told her it was an accident, even though when during cross examination she read her interview with police she told them "He said he BELIEVED it was an accident." Not to mention, George Anthony used to be a homicide investigator, and he would be careless enough to put a dead body in his trunk, drive it only 15 houses away, and then toss it in the woods? I could tell those jurors that O.J. Simpson used to be the Pope and they'd believe it.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 01:55 PM
 
Location: in my mind
4,758 posts, read 6,543,766 times
Reputation: 9501
Given the current economy, I am glad that no more tax dollars will be used for years of appeals if she got the death penalty, or for paying for decades of care for her in prison.

Now she will be out on her own, and will need to find her own sources of support. That may be welfare, but even with welfare, there are a lot more restrictions on it than there used to be and most states require able bodied adults to look for work in order to keep receiving it.

She will either need to find people to take care of her, or eventually find some means to support herself.

I think its really the best outcome.

Had Cayley merely been in an accidental drowning, then shame on anyone who knew that and let this event turn into the circus its become. They deserve any problems they are facing now.

If Casey actually killed her, then she also deserves any problems she will now face once she is out on the streets.

Sadly for her, she happened to make some bad choices that caused a media feeding frenzy to descend onto her family.
 
Old 07-06-2011, 01:55 PM
 
758 posts, read 1,036,648 times
Reputation: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
For THIS case it won't, but maybe for a case in the future it can.
It is possible but don't get your hopes up
 
Old 07-06-2011, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,408 posts, read 28,916,147 times
Reputation: 7273
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
The jury was stupid. Juror number one didn't even know how to respond when asked if her verdict was verified and true. They didn't take notes. They didn't ask to see any evidence. The alternate juror states they all believed George Anthony was involved. So the jail conversation where George was trying to get information out of Casey and was trying to convince her to talk to an FBI agent, was all an act? And they actually believe "River Cruz" when she said he told her it was an accident, even though when during cross examination she read her interview with police she told them "He said he BELIEVED it was an accident." Not to mention, George Anthony used to be a homicide investigator, and he would be careless enough to put a dead body in his trunk, drive it only 15 houses away, and then toss it in the woods? I could tell those jurors that O.J. Simpson used to be the Pope and they'd believe it.
They had to scrape the bottom of the barrel and find people that had no PRODUCTIVE LIFE to live who could go live sequestered in another county for over a month and it would cause them no conflicts in their lives.

Then suddenly it was all "hurry up hurry up" let's rush and work on Sunday, etc., and let's get that verdict out (no accident they showed up dressed up on the day they did it) because one of them had a vacation booked for July 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top