U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 10:32 AM

13,930 posts, read 19,160,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
It is absolutely correct!
No, it's definitely not.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:34 AM

6,131 posts, read 6,444,619 times
Bosco55David (and others) - Please read this:

Here's a guilty murder verdict based on absolutely no evidence proving the victim was even dead, nor any evidence whatsoever that the person charged with murder had harmed the victim.

25 Year Sentence

Was there ANY PROOF?

Old 07-07-2011, 10:35 AM

59 posts, read 35,494 times
Quote:
Wrong!!! No proof is needed... Zero.
Who told you that or where did you hear it?

If you like, I can post some references about how the jury system works in the United States or how elements of crimes work.

Here's some basic information from a quick google search: Burden of Proof and Presumption of Innocence

Last edited by matt30; 07-07-2011 at 10:47 AM..

Old 07-07-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Bosco55David (and others) - Please read this:
Read them the first time you posted them, and neither one of them support your views.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:45 AM

21,660 posts, read 11,130,115 times
No reasonable doubt was here. NONE! Where is the reason they did not convict?? The physical evidence backed up the extremely strong circumstancial evidence to convict!

If I was on this jury it would have been a hung jury or guilty verdict.

Obviously these 12 will look at the evidence and realize that Biaz muddied the clearity of the facts that Casey Anthony killed her daughter and kept Caylee's whereabouts unknown through a series of lies to her family and the police.A good reason Casey lied. Her daughter was dead and Casey was the only one hidding the fact that Caylee no longer existed as a live human being.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:46 AM

59 posts, read 35,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
I can understand how the jury couldn't convict her on first degree murder. However, I think that the circumstantial evidence coupled with the evidence in the trunk was enough to get her on manslaughter. The popular theory going around right now is that you NEED to show how the victim died and DIRECTLY link that evidence to the suspect to get a conviction. This is not true. Neither of these were established in the Scott Peterson case and he was found guilty. Scott Peterson's motive, the evidence that was found in his boat and his suspicious actions were enough for the jury to conclude that he was responsible. In the same sense I think that Casey's motive was adequately shown, there was evidence of human decomposition in her trunk, and her suspicious actions after the dissapearance/death of her child were enough for anyone to conclude that she was involved in the unlawful death of her child.

However, I still can understand, based on the lack of hard evidence, how the jury could not convict on manslaughter, even though I would have. What is the real tragedy however is that it is not a more severe crime to not report your child dead or missing and to lie to law enforcement during a missing person investigation. These should all be serious felony charges and she should have been given a very long prison sentence. People who do such things have no place in our society and are a danger to others and an obstruction to our justice system. Either way you look at it, the justice system didn't work.
Also I think persuasive in the SP case was that the evidence couldn't be viewed as an accident. In addition to the boat evidence there were body pieces (including the broken ribs caused by human force) and SP had exclusive use of the boat. The evidence is, I think, too different than the evidence in this case to compare accurately. I think the Scott Petterson jury came to the right decision.

I agree that witness should be compelled to report dead bodies or crimes though. Europe has had laws like this for a long time.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:47 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,144,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Read them the first time you posted them, and neither one of them support your views.
That case was a perfect example.

"Her car and keys were found at Charles Stobaugh's secluded Sanger farm. Investigators executed 25 searches but never found any physical evidence linking Charles Stobaugh to her disappearance. Investigators also never found a murder weapon."

Old 07-07-2011, 10:50 AM

6,131 posts, read 6,444,619 times
Quote:

"Her car and keys were found at Charles Stobaugh's secluded Sanger farm. Investigators executed 25 searches but never found any physical evidence linking Charles Stobaugh to her disappearance. Investigators also never found a murder weapon."
Bosco55David simply does not want to admit what is clear to any 'reasonable' person...

Old 07-07-2011, 10:51 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,144,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt30 View Post
Also I think persuasive in the SP case was that the evidence couldn't be viewed as an accident. In addition to the boat evidence there were body pieces (including the broken ribs caused by human force) and SP had exclusive use of the boat. The evidence is, I think, too different than the evidence in this case to compare accurately. I think the Scott Petterson jury came to the right decision.

I agree that witness should be compelled to report dead bodies or crimes though. Europe has had laws like this for a long time.
The duct tape was evidence that it was no accident. There are no know incidents of an accidental child death where duct tape was wrapped around the mouth. There are literally thousands of murders where the victims were found with duct tape on them. All of the defense attempts to explain the duct tape were incredibly weak.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
It was a perfect example of juries which may go against the burden of proof and convict anyway. It happens, and since "beyond a reasonable doubt" is subjective there is nothing that can be done about it.

In this case, the jury stuck much closer to the legal standard.

Quote:
Bosco55David simply does not want to admit what is clear to any 'reasonable' person...
Gotta love the lynch mob acting like they are the reasonable ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or