U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-11-2011, 03:56 PM
 
32,532 posts, read 30,676,091 times
Reputation: 32349

Advertisements

I caught the tail end of an interview with Alan Dershowitz yesterday. (He was on the Mike Huckabee Show on FOX. I was playing spin the dial. Wish I'd seen the whole interview. Anyway...)

He said he and his teams NEVER celebrate any decision in court. Win, loose or draw. He was pretty disgusted that C.A.'s team was out partying it up immediately after the verdict. He said something along the lines of "There's a dead two year old girl!"

Glad to see the esteemed Mr. Dershowitz and I agree on this.

 
Old 07-11-2011, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Mayacama Mtns in CA
14,523 posts, read 7,587,727 times
Reputation: 11314
I just saw this interview of Jeff Ashton: RAW INTERVIEW: Casey Prosecutor Jeff Ashton Talks To WFTV - Video - WFTV Orlando (http://www.wftv.com/video/28498264/index.html - broken link) It takes awhile to listen through to the end, but he had several very thoughtful and good perspectives about how things turned out. It actually helped me a little bit, in my efforts to accept what happened.
 
Old 07-11-2011, 05:21 PM
 
Location: in my mind
4,756 posts, read 6,538,114 times
Reputation: 9496
I don't think any of the jurors should be harassed by anyone. But I do think that if they truly felt like they put the best effort they could into their decision, they should feel confident presenting their perspective to the public.

I think the people who are working themselves into a rage over this need to calm down a bit and get a grip.

It is one trial among thousands that happen every day in this country. The vast majority of murdered children are never even found.

People need to take their anger and channel into things like volunteering for searches for missing children, donating money to such causes, etc.

I think the people who are on video raging about this verdict look like fools, honestly.
 
Old 07-11-2011, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Florida
21,673 posts, read 11,132,190 times
Reputation: 7893
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
I don't think any of the jurors should be harassed by anyone. But I do think that if they truly felt like they put the best effort they could into their decision, they should feel confident presenting their perspective to the public.

I think the people who are working themselves into a rage over this need to calm down a bit and get a grip.

It is one trial among thousands that happen every day in this country. The vast majority of murdered children are never even found.

People need to take their anger and channel into things like volunteering for searches for missing children, donating money to such causes, etc.

I think the people who are on video raging about this verdict look like fools, honestly.

I am angry and still am angry. I am angry at the jurors for not even considering Casey killed her daughter. They gave her a not guilty verdict.

They did not do their civic duty and it could possibly be that Casey could have more kids and kill them.

I am angry that this woman can walk free and we do know what Casey is capable of by throwing her own flesh and blood down the street in the muck for animals to chew her bones.

This precious life depended on her mother to love and protect her. Caylee was a sweet child and will never experience growing up .Instead she is dead by her mother's hand. It is this reality that makes me angry especially with a not guilty verdict and Casey walks free .
 
Old 07-11-2011, 05:50 PM
 
Location: High Cotton
6,131 posts, read 6,445,243 times
Reputation: 3657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I am angry and still am angry. I am angry at the jurors for not even considering Casey killed her daughter. They gave her a not guilty verdict.

They did not do their civic duty and it could possibly be that Casey could have more kids and kill them.

I am angry that this woman can walk free and we do know what Casey is capable of by throwing her own flesh and blood down the street in the muck for animals to chew her bones.

This precious life depended on her mother to love and protect her. Caylee was a sweet child and will never experience growing up .Instead she is dead by her mother's hand. It is this reality that makes me angry especially with a not guilty verdict and Casey walks free .
Agree on everything you say. You are not alone...
 
Old 07-11-2011, 06:34 PM
 
18,852 posts, read 31,732,472 times
Reputation: 26118
Annoying, I think that Casey got "special treatment" in jail, usually inmates have lice in their hair, and cut it short. I think because of the media attention, they probably gave her special shampoo, and let her grow her hair long. She was in her own special "celebrity" cell. Even in jail she was the "princess"...I don't know this for a fact, but I do know that in jail, lice is rampant!
 
Old 07-11-2011, 07:21 PM
 
17,002 posts, read 20,690,362 times
Reputation: 33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Point taken about the hate for her, but don't dump it on the legal weapons carriers. There are enough illegal weapons carriers and untrained weapons owners in florida. Those that are allowed to carry guns have been vetted (fingerprinted and FBI cleared, and required training in legal and safety weapons issues) and are not the ones she has to worry about.
Sorry, but every couple of months in FL there is a story in the news where neighbors have a dispute and one ends up dead. And they're all legal gun owners.

A one a couple of weeks ago was over a fence going up.

Not that long ago a 65yr old retiree shot and killed a 42yr old Iraqi war veteran in front of the man's 8 yr old daughter in a Tampa suburb.

The problem? A 15yr old boy was skateboading on a basketball court and it was against the HOA rules. The boy was related to neither man.

It just annoyed the 65 yr old who was sitting in his house, he said felt threatened by the 42 yr old and came out with his gun.

Not everyone who has a gun legally is a calm, levelheaded , and rational person.
 
Old 07-11-2011, 07:29 PM
 
17,002 posts, read 20,690,362 times
Reputation: 33994
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Have you checked the cost of giving birth in a hospital lately?
I know it is in the thousands but do not know how much. My son is in his forty's and my bill back then was in the range of $400.00, my weekly grocery bill was about $15.00.
I can completely understand the rage Cindy must have felt, owing thousands to pay for the birth and after working all day, she comes home to Casey who had no plans to find a job, laying on the couch watching movies with her boyfriend. At the same time Cindy had probably discovered more money missing from her bank account and more charges to her credit card. It has been reported that Casey did this on a regular basis.
So anyway, try to put yourself in Cindy's place. Remember George had just lost thousands gambling and in an internet scheme. He also could not keep a job for very long.

Is there any proof that there was some huge hospital bill? Because the "single moms" that go into the hospital get a free ride.

They don't pay a hospital bill.

I recently overheard a conversation in a restaurant that I eat at frequently and the server's daughter who was about 15 came in with her new baby.

"Oh we left the hospital with diapers and formula and everything was free".

I had to bite my tongue, yes free to you because the taxpayer is footing the bill.

So I don't see why CA wouldn't have qualified for all the handouts, she didn't work.
 
Old 07-11-2011, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Home!
8,710 posts, read 10,406,599 times
Reputation: 8512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgain View Post
You know, the jury doesn't need to take notes. There is a court reporter present who is recording every word that's being said. If the jury had any questions about testimony, all they had to do was ask the court to have that VERBATIM testimony read back to them. (Much better than sloppy notes take by a person trying to listen and write at the same time) Court reporters sometimes spend hours reading back testimony to juries when requested to do so. The whole "note taking" issue is really crap, IMO. It is far more important that the jury LISTEN to the testimony as it is given, observe the demeanor of the witnesses, the body language, etc., than it is to take notes. People make mistakes when they're trying to listen and take notes, or they miss part of the testimony when they're busy taking notes. As I said, there is a court reporter present at EVERY felony trial and that person is trained to report EVERY WORD SAID in the proceeding, and they can read back to the jury any and all testimony that the jury is unsure about.

I've come to the conclusion that the criminal justice system is rather complex and that most people really don't understand how it works and the principles which underlie it. Guess they just don't teach these things very well in high schools or colleges unless you major in criminology or go to law school.
I disagree about the note taking. Haven't you ever had to take notes in class while the instructor was speaking? I have never had a problem taking notes, in fact, I like to because it is my interpretation and I can put question marks at places I feel need to be clarified to me. If I wait for those moments until the end, good Lord, that thought could be long forgotten. You are right, there is court reports...good for those moments you might miss while taking notes.

And you are also right again, the criminal justice system is complex, which is why jurors need more in depth instruction, instead of being just expected to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Then "the spirit" should have got her mother instead of a silly old tree.
...and so "it" will.


Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
Why make this statement...a judgement on someone, if you're not sure what exactly qualifies that statement? I've seen a few people in this thread, mostly women, who claim Cindy is a bad mom, has "issues", that Casey would be better off without her, blah blah blah. But when I ask for some factual reasons not one person has been able to provide any. From everything that was revealed in the trial and all interviews, Cindy appears to be a mom who loves her daughter unconditionally and loved her granddaughter arguably more than anyone else in that family.

One thing people try to point out is the bad relationship between Casey and Cindy. But when you look at the factors, its clear that bad relationship was due to Casey's disfunctional behavior, i.e., her constant leaching off her parents, her dishonesty, her theft, and most of all the way she was raising Caylee. I just can't believe people can form such a negative opinion about another person without absolutely and reason.
Very true.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
It sounds like your parents are enablers. Just like Cindy. Bad idea.
Most parents are enablers to some degree. Some more than others and some are more unhealthy than others. It is all in what they consider is "love".
 
Old 07-11-2011, 11:22 PM
 
Location: Home!
8,710 posts, read 10,406,599 times
Reputation: 8512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu Again View Post
I watched this case from the beginning so I was seeing the same thing as the jurors. I know there are a million and one theories as to what happened but here is what I think happened.

BTW, there have been some very insightful interviews by Casey's friends, ex-fiance and the lady that lived with them for a bit while they were "searching" for Kaylee.

I think the family is EXTREMELY dysfunctional. Cindy especially has a role in her daughters psychology and what that is... I'm not sure. Casey shows some developmental issues but that is beside the point. I think she loved her daughter... not the way a normal person does but like a "pet"... just because you see a video of her playing with her daughter means NOTHING. It's like playing with your dog in the backyard, it shows no insight into the true psychology of this woman. If she is a sociopath and I STRONGLY believe she is.... sociopaths function in society all the time. Many hold down jobs and have families all the while burying bodies in their basements.

It has been said that Casey and her mother had a fight the night before Kaylee went missing. I think that gave Casey some sort of motive or at least was the start of her snapping. Remember, there is something horribly wrong with the relationship between Cindy and Casey. Yes, Casey liked to party like any 20 something but I don't think she killed Kaylee because she wanted to party. She could have easily left her daughter with the parents. But she didn't... why?

Casey is terribly broken. She makes up an entire life of "wonderful" people that don't even exist. It's a world she creates to feel accepted or to make her reality a better one. She is a LIAR and a BIG one. This we know. She is a high school drop out, no goals, no job, told people she was working on getting two degrees, said she worked at Universal Studios all the way to the point of bringing the cops to the building, she stole checks and bought clothes, booze, etc... blah blah blah. It's all about HER. I'm not painting a good picture here am I?

None of this makes one a killer but when you put the WHOLE thing together.. it just starts to look bad bad bad. I don't think George had anything to do with her death. I do however think the parents suspected Casey did something to her daughter VERY early on. Why didn't George call the police when he smelled the decomp? Plenty of reasons. There are all sorts of psychological reasons for this. Sometimes we don't want to believe something especially when it's our own daughter. A sort of denial, or neah, that couldn't be! Think about finding something that suggests your spouse is cheating and you pass it off as something else. Believe me, I did it!!

Did George have an affair? Maybe, but who cares.

I think Casey killed her daughter as a way to "hurt" her parents. Do I think it was premeditated? Yes. I think she was "thinking" about it, hence the Cloroform and neck breaking searches. And her mom covering for her and lying on the stand about that? WTF?

The accidental drowning argument is a stretch. People don't cover up accidents to make them look like murders. People have however covered up murders to look like accidents. Casey killed her daughter. She covered up that child's face with THREE pieces of duct tape. No.. they didn't WRAP around the head, they didn't need to.... you only need a few pieces on the nose and mouth to kill someone. I think either she did it at home which is most likely since items from Kaylee's bed were found with her bones. Mom threw her in the trunk and wasn't quite sure where to put her for awhile until she tossed her in the woods near the home.

There isn't a mother on the planet that doesn't report her child missing for 31 days, enters a hot body contest and gets a "good life" tattoo when her daughter is "missing" BS BS BS!!!!!

This woman is dangerous and has an innate ability to compartmentalize things, live in an alternate reality, folks, she is not NORMAL. If I were her, I would look over my shoulder and either A. someone is going to off her. B. She will self destruct or C. She will repeat a similar pattern all over again. Mark my words.

As for the jury, they went off of evidence and I guess in their minds, lying party girl with a smelly trunk wasn't enough. They did their job but it makes me sick that they let a killer go... and I think most if not all know this. I don't know how they will sleep at night.

What scares me is that Casey will probably get pregnant again. Lord help us all.

Best post in this entire thread. Explains the reality of it all. I believe this whole sad affair started with horrible messed up relationships and snowballed faster than they could figure out. I think there were lies abound. I believe Casey even knew how to manipulate the Defense. I am sure they know how "good" she is. Or maybe not. Maybe they just wanted to "win". I think we will one day find out, either by a stupid move by Casey or one of the other members (Lee) who just won't be able to live with the truth.

As far as the jurors go, what is done is done. It is not their fault. It is the system's fault. This should be a lesson and a learning tool (a horribly sad one) in that our system needs to educate jurors BEFORE they sit in court. It needs to be explained to them what the difference is between "absolute" and "reasonable" doubt is. Because there is NO way everyone knows that before going in. They do now, but it is too late. This is not fair to them. In this country we have to take classes for many things before we do them that have less overall responsibility than determining someone's life path. They need to spend a day in some sort of instruction of the definitions of their responsibility. Not just what is expected, but what that expectation MEANS and what that entails.

There are so many people out there who couldn't understand a warranty document, but would say they did until it came time to use it, they will even sign it. YET, when they need to use it and are turned down because they really didn't understand it, there is a negative outcome. Now, if you explain the coverage to them and they had a chance then to go back and change their decision to purchase it or not, being better informed, I bet many would change their decision.

Sadly, in this situation, as it becomes clearer to them, they cannot go back and change that. Most will not even admit they would. I don't really blame them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top