U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2011, 04:19 PM
 
25,956 posts, read 39,251,559 times
Reputation: 13935

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
why don't you just forget about her and not concern yourself with what she plans on doing next.
You don't have to worry about me. The few minutes a day that I spent reading this...

I just watched a very heart breaking video made about the funeral and memorial of the Jewish boy in NY and thinking about Caylee and the boy is making me very sad. The murderer of the boy who first confessed and the boys feet were found in his freezer, pleated "Not Guilty", just as Casey.

To me at least one murderer is walking free now. I'm not sure justice have been served in this case, but there is not much we can do about that. Casey will have to change her life but I believe she won't change much except for her looks. I bet you she will have highlights in her hair by now and a hair cut. Perhaps soon even more changes...but from the inside she will be the same liar and person who never reported her child missing while committing fraud to buy beer and going out to party....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2011, 04:02 PM
 
25,956 posts, read 39,251,559 times
Reputation: 13935
Casey's lawyer requested the case to be dropped or the deposition to be taken at her new place of living when she has one.

Of course Miss Casey needs special treatment...not like the ones everybody else will get...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,505 posts, read 23,806,824 times
Reputation: 8838
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
If they play it right and not much proof is needed in a civil suit, then this lady might collect lots of money from book deals, movie deals that Baez hopes to get for his work to get her off.

Zaneid's life was ruined by Casey's lies....unless baez is going to use George & Cindy as the people collecting the money for the book deal, otherwise they will collect a lot of money from casey for this. Remember OJ was not guilty and lost a civil suit.

Morgan & Morgan the laughing 3rd party...for the people!
Hopefully they will sue her to the max, she is a narcisssist who deserves a reality check... She did damage Zenaida's reputation, and she lost her job, condo, etc...so hopefully some monetary compensation will be given.

Baez is just sleaze but hes a lawyer so thats redundant, lol....Its just sick that in our "society" today- media like Larry Flynt promotes a monster like Casey, its beyond sickening. ugh.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 05:21 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,677,966 times
Reputation: 13020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Hopefully they will sue her to the max, she is a narcisssist who deserves a reality check... She did damage Zenaida's reputation, and she lost her job, condo, etc...so hopefully some monetary compensation will be given.

Baez is just sleaze but hes a lawyer so thats redundant, lol....Its just sick that in our "society" today- media like Larry Flynt promotes a monster like Casey, its beyond sickening. ugh.....
Let's get the facts straight.

First, I'm not a Casey fan.

But...

Zenaida didn't have a condo. She was living in a hotel room. Her "job" paid $10/hour. Even if she's able to prove that Casey saw her name at the apartment complex and used it, I think she's going to have a hard time proving that she did so with malice, which is required by the applicable statute.

Additionally Zenaida will need to prove not only her damages, but also that she attempted to mitigate them. There simply isn't going to be much, if any, of a payout on this one. The only person who will win is John Morgan, because he's getting tens of thousands of free advertising via the media out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,945 posts, read 19,192,498 times
Reputation: 9175
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Let's get the facts straight.

First, I'm not a Casey fan.

But...

Zenaida didn't have a condo. She was living in a hotel room. Her "job" paid $10/hour. Even if she's able to prove that Casey saw her name at the apartment complex and used it, I think she's going to have a hard time proving that she did so with malice, which is required by the applicable statute.

Additionally Zenaida will need to prove not only her damages, but also that she attempted to mitigate them. There simply isn't going to be much, if any, of a payout on this one. The only person who will win is John Morgan, because he's getting tens of thousands of free advertising via the media out of it.
Pretty much sums it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 07:29 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,505 posts, read 23,806,824 times
Reputation: 8838
At least Zenaida had a job, she lives in Orlando, there arent many "real' jobs in that area.

Civil case is just preponderance of evidence, they dont have to prove malice. Anthony family may not have money yet but they will once the books come out, and liens can be attached to the profit.

Lying to detectives about who kidnapped Caylee? yes thats quite slanderous in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,945 posts, read 19,192,498 times
Reputation: 9175
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
At least Zenaida had a job, she lives in Orlando, there arent many "real' jobs in that area.

Civil case is just preponderance of evidence, they dont have to prove malice. Anthony family may not have money yet but they will once the books come out, and liens can be attached to the profit.

Lying to detectives about who kidnapped Caylee? yes thats quite slanderous in my opinion.
Actually, malice is a substantial part of defamation/libel lawsuits. Even then, this case has serious problems. First, Casey give the false information to law enforcement in what is usually a private conversation. Defamation lawsuits hinge on the false information being "published" to the general public and it was not Casey who did that. Second, the statute of limitations on defamation suits is two years and I'm fairly certain that it's been two years since those statements were made. If that's the case then this won't even be allowed to go to trial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,505 posts, read 23,806,824 times
Reputation: 8838
Certainly John Morgan knows the statutes. Florida has sunshine laws which open up Casey's lies for publication and distribution.

I doubt Morgan would be compelling her to testify,unless he knew he could get something from this civil case. The other side filed a Motion to Quash but who knows what may happen.

The case itself is a sad commentary. I doubt I will be following it after the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2011, 04:54 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,677,966 times
Reputation: 13020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
At least Zenaida had a job, she lives in Orlando, there arent many "real' jobs in that area.
There are plenty of low paying unskilled jobs--and to be honest plenty of good paying jobs for skilled people as well--most aren't advertised. (I have one of them and make a very good income) She had no skills, she was a cleaning lady. They will need to prove that she was fired because of Casey, and that she attempted to and was unable to find a new job because of Casey. That means parading every person she applied for a job with into court and having them testify that the only reason they didn't hire her was because of the case. If she didn't apply or the ones she applied with indicate other reasons for not hiring her (she couldn't work the hours they needed, she didn't have the experience they wanted, they just werent' hiring, she wanted too much money, etc.) then Zenaida hasn't proven her case. And if she didn't even try to find a job, she hasn't proven her case, and the jury will see her as a malingerer.

To be honest, putting myself in the place of a jury, I don't see her as particularly sympathetic or credible. Not that I see Casey that way either. I see her as someone who wanted their 15 minutes of fame. Otherwise she would have hired a different law firm and stayed out of the spotlight. You don't see Amy parading around to the media, and Casey committed an actual crime as opposed to an alleged tort against her!

Quote:
Civil case is just preponderance of evidence, they dont have to prove malice. Anthony family may not have money yet but they will once the books come out, and liens can be attached to the profit.
You are wrong. Go read the statute. They absolutely have to prove malice.

Quote:
Lying to detectives about who kidnapped Caylee? yes thats quite slanderous in my opinion.
But again, if they can't prove it was done with malice, they can't prove the prima facia case. Although the standard of proof is lower in civil court, the law still applies, and the statute is very specific, the tort must be committed with malice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2011, 05:05 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,677,966 times
Reputation: 13020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Certainly John Morgan knows the statutes. Florida has sunshine laws which open up Casey's lies for publication and distribution.

I doubt Morgan would be compelling her to testify,unless he knew he could get something from this civil case. The other side filed a Motion to Quash but who knows what may happen.

The case itself is a sad commentary. I doubt I will be following it after the summer.
In this particular case I don't think he really cares about what he'll get from a potential judgement, it will never come close to the value of the publicity (free advertising) he's gotten--and he's a shrewd enough businessman to know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top