Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,991,168 times

Advertisements

I've seen numerous articles and comments on social websites where race has become prominent factor in this decidedly non-racial murder story. Many people making comments such as "If Casey were black would anybody even know her name?" or "If Caylee were poor and black would the media cover this story?" et al.

I've seen many remarks of this case being compared to OJ Simpson's, I suppose because the majority of people (of all races) feel that her acquittal is a tragedy of justice.

How ridiculous has our society become where race becomes a priority over the death of an innocent child? What's the point of playing these "what if she were black?" games? There are literally thousands of people who go missing or are murdered in this country every year but only a handful get the full media treatment, for whatever reason.

Why does EVERYTHING have to be about race? Especially when race plays no role whatsoever? It's as if people were looking for another excuse to feel marginalized or whatever. I think the perpetual victim mentality has poisoned and warped our culture.

Here's a sampling of articles I've come across-

It Doesn't Matter What Color Casey Anthony Is.

Casey Anthony: Must Everything Be About Race?

Black or White, What Does It Matter?

If Caylee Anthony had been black, would you know her name?

Casey Anthony Would be Guilty if She Were Black.

Casey Anthony is White America's Own O.J.

Casey Anthony Is Not OJ In White Female Face.

Casey Anthony, Sensationalism, And The Race Card.

Did Race, Gender Play a Role in Casey Anthony Trial? (http://www.theblackurbantimes.com/2011/07/06/how-much-did-race-and-gender-play-in-the-casey-anthony-trial-what-if-casey-anthony-was-black/ - broken link)

Comment Of The Day: "Stop With The Pity Party"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 03:09 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
It is true.

http://crime.about.com/od/female_off...hrowwomen1.htm

Crime Committed:

On November 29, 1998, in Jefferson County, Texas, Berry placed duct tape across the body and mouth of her 4 day old son, placed him in a black plastic trash bag and left his body in a trash dumpster, resulting in his death.

She is currently on death row...guess what color she is....

Last edited by jasper12; 07-08-2011 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 07-08-2011, 03:20 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I don't know.
I'm white and I wouldn't have gotten by with it.

Interesting concept though.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:24 PM

296 posts, read 542,773 times
I haven't heard anyone make this into a race issue but I think it's silly that they do.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:42 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is true.

[URL="http://crime.about.com/od/female_offenders/p/deathrowwomen1.htm"]Women on Death Row - Kenisha Berry[/URL]

Crime Committed:

On November 29, 1998, in Jefferson County, Texas, Berry placed duct tape across the body and mouth of her 4 day old son, placed him in a black plastic trash bag and left his body in a trash dumpster, resulting in his death.

She is currently on death row...guess what color she is....
I agree, although it's not just about race. Casey is also from an everyday, middle class family and she's very pretty. Another factor is all the lies she told police. Once the media began to play the 911 calls of her mother saying the car trunk smells like a dead body, her father attempted suicide, and Casey accused both her father & brother of molesting her, it became a media circus.

Still, why was Natalee Holoway on Nancy Grace for so long when there are other people missing? White, blonde, from a "nice" family, blah blah.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:58 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
I don't believe race is a factor other wise Casey would not even be charged...

I also didn hear anything about the judge...I believe that most people saw judge who did a good job and not a .....

I wish this thread was not started....because I'm getting so sick of race being mentioned in almost every subject....this case was a about a middle class girl who lied about almost everything....a child who is dead found with duct tape on her mouth, throw away in way I would not even dumb my garbage, a mother who did nothing than party, meanwhile committed theft and fraud...parents who first call the cops on her and then changed their story to decent their spoiled daughter...

I don't see what race has to do with this case

Old 07-08-2011, 06:24 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,519 times
I can name, offhand, the names of several missing or murdered white children who got tons of media coverage, but not so many black children. Why is that? It sure isn't because black or hispanic children aren't being murdered, or not missing. It's because the news shows wouldn't get the ratings and papers and magazines wouldn't sell as much. Same thing with missing women. How many people have heard of Stacy Peterson and how many people have heard of Nailah Franklin? It's common knowledge that if you're pretty, white, and rich, you stand a better chance of getting media attention.

I don't think it's strictly based on race though. If Elizabeth Smart had lived in a trailer park, I doubt if she would have gotten the coverage she got. Instead, we saw this beautiful little blond angel playing a harp, kidnapped from her million dollar home. Ratings sweep.

Cases like Haleigh Cummings and Zahara Baker, where the families were poor and white, and in the Cummings case particularly, portrayed as trashy druggies, these kids were cute, and Zahara Baker was handicapped, so they received a great deal of attention as well.

I recall around the same time as the Jon Benet Ramsey media circus, a nine year old girl in Chicago's Cabrini Green projects was kidnapped, poisoned, and brutally raped. The child survived, but was permanently disabled. No one outside Chicago ever heard of this child. Why? What do people want to hear about more, the rich, beautiful beauty queen from Colorado, or a poor little black girl from Chicago's projects?

A number of factors are involved in these cases, not race alone. Bottom line is this baby is dead, most likely killed by her selfish, self absorbed, narcissist mother who has now gotten away with murder. It doesn't matter what color she is, it's still a travesty.

What matters is, this isn't the last time something like this will happen. Right this very minute, there may be a child being murdered that no one will ever know about.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:43 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
I recall around the same time as the Jon Benet Ramsey media circus, a nine year old girl in Chicago's Cabrini Green projects was kidnapped, poisoned, and brutally raped. The child survived, but was permanently disabled. No one outside Chicago ever heard of this child. Why? What do people want to hear about more, the rich, beautiful beauty queen from Colorado, or a poor little black girl from Chicago's projects?

I agree with you and it has always been that way. The year I graduated from college 1970 , there were the kids who were fired upon by The National Guard at Kent State . I can tell you still the names of each of the four murdered students. The next week, Jackson State had a similiar police action in which several students were killed. I doubt if many people really even remember & I am ashamed to say that I do not know the names of any these students either.

It is over forty years later and nothing has changed. I wonder if it ever will.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-08-2011, 06:50 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
I am white but I agree race plays a part if Natalee Holloway was black I don't think we ever would have heard of the case!However I think in the Anthony case because both Casey and Caylee were both so pretty and even George,Cindy and Lee looked like the family next door it struck a chord with America!!

Old 07-08-2011, 07:20 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I agree with you and it has always been that way. The year I graduated from college 1970 , there were the kids who were fired upon by The National Guard at Kent State . I can tell you still the names of each of the four murdered students. The next week, Jackson State had a similiar police action in which several students were killed. I doubt if many people really even remember & I am ashamed to say that I do not know the names of any these students either.

It is over forty years later and nothing has changed. I wonder if it ever will.
Thank you. I admit, I don't remember the Jackson State incident. Sad. I was a sophomore in college in 1970 and the semester ended early because of the Kent State shootings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime