U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 04:49 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,780,216 times

Advertisements

Like many of you, I have been following the Casey Anthony Trial. Every now and then the talking heads will devote some time for the average person to call in or speak to the camera. It seems to me that ALOT of people have no idea how our justice system works in this country. For example, I seen one protester say that " we need a re-trial" and that " the judge should have done sonething about this". I have seen others say that " the jury has found her innocent so leave her alone ". This couldnt be further from the truth. Just because a jury rules " not guilty" does not mean they think that she is innocent or that she is innocent. Infact, the few jurors who have come forward has said that they dont feel that shes innocent, but they didnt think there was enough evidence to convict.

I dont know how many times Ive heard people call in and ask if this can be appealed, or could she be tried again. Do you think this is because people cant accept that this is final or do you think its just a rising ignorance of our justice system and it inner-workings?

It seems that people really have no idea how the system works. Do you agree? If so, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 05:02 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,880,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Like many of you, I have been following the Casey Anthony Trial. Every now and then the talking heads will devote some time for the average person to call in or speak to the camera. It seems to me that ALOT of people have no idea how our justice system works in this country. For example, I seen one protester say that " we need a re-trial" and that " the judge should have done sonething about this". I have seen others say that " the jury has found her innocent so leave her alone ". This couldnt be further from the truth. Just because a jury rules " not guilty" does not mean they think that she is innocent or that she is innocent. Infact, the few jurors who have come forward has said that they dont feel that shes innocent, but they didnt think there was enough evidence to convict.

I dont know how many times Ive heard people call in and ask if this can be appealed, or could she be tried again. Do you think this is because people cant accept that this is final or do you think its just a rising ignorance of our justice system and it inner-workings?

It seems that people really have no idea how the system works. Do you agree? If so, why?
I think it's a mixture of both ... some people don't understand the justice system and some people are hoping against hope that there's "something that can be done" about this verdict.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:36 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,698,893 times
I think that the entire fiasco was a complete disaster from the beginning. There should have been lower charges included in the original filling, and this should not have been elevated to a death penalty case. There were so many problems, one is a sequestered jury...which is stressful on people who actually have normal lives, and ones who could be on a sequestered jury already excludes quite a few people out of a population of potential jurors.

This is part of our system, that is the way it is. The prosecutors tried to force the hands of the jury by not including lessor charges, surely if Casey was not watching her child adaquately, and she drowned, that is some sort of negligence.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:17 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,623,644 times
First thing people have to realize is it's just not what happened in the courtroom that set Casey free, it's also the Orange County Sheriff. Where they not told months before Dec 11 that remains had been found? I watched most of the trial and the questioning of Casey at Universal was a complete farce, Melich and his detectives came out backing CA into a corner immedietely, then called the dogs off and became buddy -buddy with her.....ack basswards if you ask me. A lot of times cops will lie to extract a confession, not once did I see any of them attempt that.

Now in the courtroom, what I saw were a number of state witnesses deflecting, becoming combative when Baez questioned them while everything just rolled off the tongue as if rehearsed when the State questioned them.

What gets me about the lynch mob mentality some that are unhappy with the verdict are displaying.....where are or where were they for the thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of people sitting in prison wrongly convicted and railroaded by the system. There are many people in prison across the U.S. that had cases where evidence that would acquit them was not allowed in court, excessively long sentences for those convicted of lesser crimes, etc.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:37 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,057,164 times
Quote:

I think, with the media spotlight shining all over this case, prosecutors got overzealous with first degree murder and the death penalty. How can they say it's first degree murder when they can't prove how the child was killed? It could have happened during a beating, in a fit of anger, which would have made it second degree murder, or any other unknown circumstances that could have made it manslaughter. Were they so cocky with the public opinion that they didn't consider that with the all or nothing odds, she could walk away free and could never be retried? I've never been near a law school and could figure out that much.

What happened in this case is an outrage, and I think a lot of people are speaking out of frustration and anger at seeing a mom who most likely had something to do with the death of her own two year old child, who, if nothing else, neglected to report her missing, dumped her baby's body like so much garbage, and proceeded to partying and having a good old time. But what's required to prove it in a court of law is pretty clear cut, and it just wasn't there.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:42 PM

6,587 posts, read 6,819,999 times
Quote:

Agree,if you see some quotes from the Anthony jurrors about worrying about the death penalty in their deliberations in the guilt phase...that's a mistake.I know everyone is entitled to a jury of their peers but Casey was way smarter then that bunch!!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:21 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,780,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
First thing people have to realize is it's just not what happened in the courtroom that set Casey free, it's also the Orange County Sheriff. Where they not told months before Dec 11 that remains had been found? I watched most of the trial and the questioning of Casey at Universal was a complete farce, Melich and his detectives came out backing CA into a corner immedietely, then called the dogs off and became buddy -buddy with her.....ack basswards if you ask me. A lot of times cops will lie to extract a confession, not once did I see any of them attempt that.

Now in the courtroom, what I saw were a number of state witnesses deflecting, becoming combative when Baez questioned them while everything just rolled off the tongue as if rehearsed when the State questioned them.

What gets me about the lynch mob mentality some that are unhappy with the verdict are displaying.....where are or where were they for the thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of people sitting in prison wrongly convicted and railroaded by the system. There are many people in prison across the U.S. that had cases where evidence that would acquit them was not allowed in court, excessively long sentences for those convicted of lesser crimes, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I think, with the media spotlight shining all over this case, prosecutors got overzealous with first degree murder and the death penalty. How can they say it's first degree murder when they can't prove how the child was killed? It could have happened during a beating, in a fit of anger, which would have made it second degree murder, or any other unknown circumstances that could have made it manslaughter. Were they so cocky with the public opinion that they didn't consider that with the all or nothing odds, she could walk away free and could never be retried? I've never been near a law school and could figure out that much.

What happened in this case is an outrage, and I think a lot of people are speaking out of frustration and anger at seeing a mom who most likely had something to do with the death of her own two year old child, who, if nothing else, neglected to report her missing, dumped her baby's body like so much garbage, and proceeded to partying and having a good old time. But what's required to prove it in a court of law is pretty clear cut, and it just wasn't there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I think that the entire fiasco was a complete disaster from the beginning. There should have been lower charges included in the original filling, and this should not have been elevated to a death penalty case. There were so many problems, one is a sequestered jury...which is stressful on people who actually have normal lives, and ones who could be on a sequestered jury already excludes quite a few people out of a population of potential jurors.

This is part of our system, that is the way it is. The prosecutors tried to force the hands of the jury by not including lessor charges, surely if Casey was not watching her child adaquately, and she drowned, that is some sort of negligence.
Thank you for your contributions to this thread , but the details and inner-workings of the Casey Anthony Trial specificly, is not what this thread was intended for. There are plenty of other threads doing just that. Rather, it was intended to discuss the lack of knowledge by citizens relating to the justice system in general.

In a few of the above quotes though, my point is clearly proven. I hear people say things like,
Quote:
The prosecutors tried to force the hands of the jury by not including lessor charges
and
Quote:
prosecutors got overzealous with first degree murder and the death penalty.
When infact there WERE lessor charges included. Whether that demonstrates a lack of knowledge just in this case or in the system in general, I dont know.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:31 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,115,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I think it's a mixture of both ... some people don't understand the justice system and some people are hoping against hope that there's "something that can be done" about this verdict.
Well said.

In response to what the OP said, I think an enormous amount of people are uneducated and uninformed about the justice system and how it works. But it is sort of like the IRS tax code, it is HUGE and often contradictory and hard to understand. But some people have a total lack of reading comprehension and that is why I don't participate in most of the threads on specific cases on other boards.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:34 PM

288 posts, read 133,673 times
Quote:

I think you are absolutely correct. I have also been amazed at how little people really understand how the criminal justice system works. I've seen people who seem to be well educated make statements which showed a stunning lack of knowledge about the court system!!!

They just seem to not be able to wrap their heads around a presumption of innocence and what that really means, and they don't seem to understand at all how IMPORTANT is it that the State is REQUIRED to prove their accusations against people beyond a reasonable doubt. They don't understand how that all relates to our freedoms as a society! I think you're totally right about the ignorance.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:51 PM

288 posts, read 133,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

I don't agree with you regarding a lower number of people who "could" be sequestered. When you are summons to jury duty, you can only be excused if it would be a real hardship on you to serve. I don't remember any of the jurors being asked about whether or not they "could" serve if the jury were sequestered. That's not an issue. Your employer is REQUIRED to give you the time off from work, and they can't fire you for being out for jury duty. If you get selected to be on a jury, you are required to be sequestered if the Rule of Sequestration is invoked.

Sequestration is critical in a case like the Anthony trial. You cannot have the jury exposed to all the media focus on this case. The jury is required to consider only the evidence which comes from the witness stand and the exhibits entered into evidence. What evidence comes in and how it comes in is determined by the law and the Rules of Criminal Procedure....that's what all those objections are about.

Are you suggesting that all parents whose children somehow find their way into a swimming pool and drown be charged with a crime because we ASSUME that the parents were not watching their children adequately? Children drowning in pools in Florida is probably the most common form of death for children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or