U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:06 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,770,655 times

Advertisements

I think it's stupid. I am sick to death of laws named after kids. Tho' they may be well intentioned (the path to hell right?) They are too often rushed and not thought out. Most times it's a knee-jerk reaction to a high-profile case...and is used by "vote-*****" politicians to make a name for themselves and get votes.
In the long run, it will be the avg Joe that suffers because of the lack of common sense that will be applied to thei law.
We don't need more laws. We need to enforce the ones we have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 09:37 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,475,152 times
I am a firm believer in taking a proactive stand, especially with legislation, rather than a reactive position; I am not simply referring to this legislative bill, but in general. What too frequently happens is that a new bill, based on reaction, has either too many loopholes, does not clearly make sense, ends up being ratified, and the like. What I would much rather see, generally speaking, is for legislators and creators of legislation - take extra time - ask cazillion questions, "what if's", "how abouts" and when they can get those questions answered, then craft legislation that is fair, reasonable, thought through, etc.

As an example, and I am simplifying this one alot - let's take Jessica's Law - and minimum / maximum sentencing -- clearly I believe sex offenders, pedophiles need to be sentenced, no hesitation at all - what I think is important for law enforcement, judiciary and legislators to consider is: example: child is sexually assaulted by a family member or someone they know, the offender tells the child that if they say anything.....; child now has the added pressure of fear and guilt; now their mom [for example] or caregiver finds out and says...if you say anything, so and so will have to go to prison for 25 years...so the child has been physically assaulted, sexually assaulted, emotionally assaulted, fearful, and now pepper that with guilt because if they say anything it will be their fault that dad or brother or uncle is going to jail for 25 years.

I think, in too many cases, the victim [child' will not come forward to report an assault because of it - thus, in many respects, and using Jessica's Law simply as an example, the concept is great, the reality of the legislation is otherwise. Perhaps recrafting parts of that bill would make a difference.

Now, considering Caylee's Law - w/out question there should be some mechanism[s] in place that are requirements / obligations of a parent/caregiver to report a missing child. I think it is disappointing, at the very least, that there are those parents who do not make a report - as a mom, I could not even imagine waiting 5 hours if my child is gone let alone a month. Perhaps the bill can be created to include ages, perhaps and this brings me, once again, to the issues of accountability, or lack thereof, of department[s] of child welfare services - those workers who do not follow up sufficiently when there are justified complaints against families w/their children.

I think, sadly enough, that there are good parents and not so good parents and there are very bad parents. The good parents are going to contact authorities if their kids are missing - do you really think this bill is going to make bad parents be good and responsible parents, I don't think so. I 500% agree with the concept of this bill; I think it might need a few more drafts.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:13 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,770,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
I am a firm believer in taking a proactive stand, especially with legislation, rather than a reactive position; I am not simply referring to this legislative bill, but in general. What too frequently happens is that a new bill, based on reaction, has either too many loopholes, does not clearly make sense, ends up being ratified, and the like. What I would much rather see, generally speaking, is for legislators and creators of legislation - take extra time - ask cazillion questions, "what if's", "how abouts" and when they can get those questions answered, then craft legislation that is fair, reasonable, thought through, etc.

As an example, and I am simplifying this one alot - let's take Jessica's Law - and minimum / maximum sentencing -- clearly I believe sex offenders, pedophiles need to be sentenced, no hesitation at all - what I think is important for law enforcement, judiciary and legislators to consider is: example: child is sexually assaulted by a family member or someone they know, the offender tells the child that if they say anything.....; child now has the added pressure of fear and guilt; now their mom [for example] or caregiver finds out and says...if you say anything, so and so will have to go to prison for 25 years...so the child has been physically assaulted, sexually assaulted, emotionally assaulted, fearful, and now pepper that with guilt because if they say anything it will be their fault that dad or brother or uncle is going to jail for 25 years.
the other problem is, false allegations. it is far too easy to accuse someone of sexual abuse in this country (like the pendulum has swung the other way)
So, custody disputes aetc..otr teens who have troubled relationship with their parent(s) or in some cases using it as aform of retribution years even decades later.
There needs be no actual proof, just the accuser's testimony if they claim it happend when they were under a certain age. Lots of lives ruined.
As for Caylee's law..someone elsewhere brought up SIDs...so how's that work, if your child died during the night and you have no clue?

Old 07-13-2011, 01:54 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,475,152 times
Quote:
the other problem is, false allegations. it is far too easy to accuse someone of sexual abuse in this country (like the pendulum has swung the other way)
So, custody disputes aetc..otr teens who have troubled relationship with their parent(s) or in some cases using it as aform of retribution years even decades later.
There needs be no actual proof, just the accuser's testimony if they claim it happend when they were under a certain age. Lots of lives ruined.
As for Caylee's law..someone elsewhere brought up SIDs...so how's that work, if your child died during the night and you have no clue?
These are, but yet a few reasons, once again, that I believe in proactive rather than reactive action -- some of the questions you present are the very kind of questions legislators should ask .. if someone does not report, and they are charged with a felony, I would hope that once investigated [as all cases should be, thoroughly investigated', then charges should not only be dismissed BUT completed redacted from a file -- there needs to be, for example, in my opinion, room in legislation that specifically refers to that: if false statement/accusation - then X ramification for that person who lies / fabricates.

Although this may sound relatively complicated, to me, the more complicated and thorough the questions,the simpler and clearer the final legislative bill.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:37 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,856,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Remember the cute thumbs up, when you, a family member, or friend has runaway child and they don't report it. You know, the 14 yr old who stays out all night, etc. And the police find her and come arrest you. Won't be thumbs up then.

sheeeesh....... maybe you should actually know what it is your talking about before you speak. Take the time to learn what the law says and what its about before you go off on a tangent

Old 07-13-2011, 08:46 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,254,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
sheeeesh....... maybe you should actually know what it is your talking about before you speak. Take the time to learn what the law says and what its about before you go off on a tangent

Well the law says within 24 hours so that could be the first hour or 24 hours. I wonder if I have to report my son missing when he goes out at 4am to sit on the swing because of this?

busta

Old 07-13-2011, 09:36 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,856,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
Well the law says within 24 hours so that could be the first hour or 24 hours. I wonder if I have to report my son missing when he goes out at 4am to sit on the swing because of this?

busta
Well, if you cant find him within 24 hours I guess you will. And what kind of parent would you be if you didnt.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime