U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-17-2011, 10:13 AM
 
Location: London UK & Florida USA
7,922 posts, read 7,846,688 times
Reputation: 2035

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It wouldn't make a differance innocent people will always be found guilty and the other way around no system will change that, the best thing is just do not get ourselves into a situation where we will be on trial
I agree with you. It's down to creating doubt in such cases and not proving innocence.
The OJ case was a good example... he was found innocent in the criminal court and guilty in the civil court.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2011, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
18,268 posts, read 10,170,987 times
Reputation: 7090
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Casey Anthony has now been released from Prison after being found not guilty of killing her 2 year old daughter Caylee. The prosecution bungled its case and too much doubt was left in the jurors minds to convict in a capital murder case. There were those on the jury who do not believe she is innocent but because all the evidence was circumstantial and too many red herrings, they felt they could not convict her of murder. This is a clear case of just because someone is found not guilty it does NOT mean they are innocent....... OJ all over again.
What scares me about this case are a few things......
(1) This is another case where the jury system has failed...but what else can replace it and how can it be improved.
(2) How many desperate women out there will look at this case and then at their crying child who they do not want and blame for their awful lives, and then think they can also get away with getting rid of a unwanted child and also get the coverage and "celebrity" status that Casey has now got. This will be tempting to some. Awful thought but could happen.
(3) Casey and her family will now benefit from this case. Cindy is now looking at writing a book and Casey will no doubt earn a small fortune with interviews, a book, film etc etc........ Disgusting..... on the back of a dead 2 year old.
(4) This case has now cost the Tax payer many thousands. Expert witnesses were getting $20,000 and more each to testify.
This is not the first and probably won't be the last travisty of justice as many see this to be. Let's hope that this does not lead to the death of another innocent child because it is seen as a example of how desperate people can flaunt the law and get away with it.
I was not in the courtroom nor the jury room and cannot doubt that a proper verdict was reached.

That said, there are a great many people who do not see things that way and who become totally irrational because there is a child involved. My guess is that she will be in danger for her life from now on, and that she would have been in as much or more danger had she been convicted and ever ended up in the general pop in prison.

She will need a complete name, profile, and geographical transplant something like the Witness Protection Program to ever have a chance. She will never have much of a life as Casey Anthony, even if she manages to survive to a normal end of her life.

Last edited by cuebald; 07-17-2011 at 11:07 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2011, 10:14 AM
 
645 posts, read 1,781,094 times
Reputation: 451
Here we go again....
No DNA that links Casey to the death + No known cause of Death + No motive = Reasonable Doubt = Not Guilty
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2011, 10:18 AM
 
2,031 posts, read 2,414,190 times
Reputation: 1376
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Casey Anthony has now been released from Prison after being found not guilty of killing her 2 year old daughter Caylee. The prosecution bungled its case and too much doubt was left in the jurors minds to convict in a capital murder case. There were those on the jury who do not believe she is innocent but because all the evidence was circumstantial and too many red herrings, they felt they could not convict her of murder. This is a clear case of just because someone is found not guilty it does NOT mean they are innocent....... OJ all over again.
What scares me about this case are a few things......
(1) This is another case where the jury system has failed...but what else can replace it and how can it be improved.
(2) How many desperate women out there will look at this case and then at their crying child who they do not want and blame for their awful lives, and then think they can also get away with getting rid of a unwanted child and also get the coverage and "celebrity" status that Casey has now got. This will be tempting to some. Awful thought but could happen.
(3) Casey and her family will now benefit from this case. Cindy is now looking at writing a book and Casey will no doubt earn a small fortune with interviews, a book, film etc etc........ Disgusting..... on the back of a dead 2 year old.
(4) This case has now cost the Tax payer many thousands. Expert witnesses were getting $20,000 and more each to testify.
This is not the first and probably won't be the last travisty of justice as many see this to be. Let's hope that this does not lead to the death of another innocent child because it is seen as a example of how desperate people can flaunt the law and get away with it.
I disagree. I don't think the jury failed at all. It isn't the juries job to say "We think she did it". The jury has a higher standard. If the evidence did not allow the jury to apply that standard to obtain a conviction, it is not the jury's duty to say "guilty" anyway, just to make you or anyone else feel better.

But even pretending that the jury system did fail... gee, ya think? A human institution not working 100% of the time... how shocking...

The jury system is not perfect. It never has been. In fact, the system is set up to fail a certain percentage of the time in the way it has (erring on the side of "not guilty") so as to avoid erring more often on the other side of the spectrum ("guilty"). And that really isn't a failure, only a precaution that values protecting the innocent more than obtaining convictions at all costs.

There are several dozen murders in this country every day -- fewer than 50% ever result in a conviction. In most of those in which no conviction is obtained, there are never even charges filed. However, quite often police and/or prosecutors are fairly confident they know who did it. But we have a higher standard than "fairly confident".

Benjamin Franklin summed it up when he said:
"Better one hundred guilty Persons should escape than that one innocent Person should suffer".

I doubt we come anywhere close to that ratio, but the principle remains. Freedom has its costs. Rights, such as the right to a jury trial by ones peers, has its costs.

You won't see things like this happening in Russia, or China, or Cuba, or Saudi Arabia. I don't know about you, but I'm not interesting in taking any cues from those societies regarding the presumption of innocence.

I know my position isn't the feel-good self-righteous anger than the herd has, and demands everybody else have. That's fine -- I have no interest in being part of the herd.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2011, 10:24 AM
 
Location: London UK & Florida USA
7,922 posts, read 7,846,688 times
Reputation: 2035
The case is now over and many will have different views on Casey's verdict. The thread is really about the repocussions of this case. This case will now be used as case law in future cases and i am worried about what this case being so high profile will encourage in the future.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2011, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Northern CA
12,770 posts, read 9,856,881 times
Reputation: 4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
That is what i am saying by my thread........ This case is worrying by the aftermath that will come from it. The woman being run off the road is awful and i am sure thar more bad things will come from this.
To put things in perspective, remember the Rodney King aftermath?

I am pleased that most people are disturbed at this verdict, as they should be. I am pleased that this woman won't be able to walk the streets without jeers and fear of retribution. I am pleased that she is facing at least 2 civil suits, and that she will pay for killing Caylee one way or the other. I don't believe many people will want to hear from Casey or her mother - but if Ashton were to write a book a behind the scene, that might be interesting.
I am concerned with circumstantial evidence cases, and a juries ability to connect the dots.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2011, 10:51 AM
 
Location: Chambersburg PA
1,739 posts, read 1,762,576 times
Reputation: 1464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
It wouldn't make a differance innocent people will always be found guilty and the other way around no system will change that, the best thing is just do not get ourselves into a situation where we will be on trial
That's not always possible. There are somethngs people can be accused of, and there needs be no evidence other than the accuser's testimony.
Tonya Craft Acquitted of Molestation Charges - ABC News
I just these types of cases got more coverage.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2011, 10:57 AM
 
25,059 posts, read 23,209,382 times
Reputation: 11624
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
The case is now over and many will have different views on Casey's verdict. The thread is really about the repocussions of this case. This case will now be used as case law in future cases and i am worried about what this case being so high profile will encourage in the future.
Much ado about nothing. Don't worry yourself too much. I'm glad a case like this happened, that way the jury IS held up to a higher standard than the mob mentality of the dumbed down masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
That's not always possible. There are somethngs people can be accused of, and there needs be no evidence other than the accuser's testimony.
Tonya Craft Acquitted of Molestation Charges - ABC News
I just these types of cases got more coverage.
Which I think is pretty bad because there's tons of cases where a woman accuses a man of sexual assault and it turns out he didn't do anything. Case in point: Dominique Strauss-Kahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Casey Anthony has now been released from Prison after being found not guilty of killing her 2 year old daughter Caylee. The prosecution bungled its case and too much doubt was left in the jurors minds to convict in a capital murder case. There were those on the jury who do not believe she is innocent but because all the evidence was circumstantial and too many red herrings, they felt they could not convict her of murder. This is a clear case of just because someone is found not guilty it does NOT mean they are innocent....... OJ all over again.
What scares me about this case are a few things......
(1) This is another case where the jury system has failed...but what else can replace it and how can it be improved.
(2) How many desperate women out there will look at this case and then at their crying child who they do not want and blame for their awful lives, and then think they can also get away with getting rid of a unwanted child and also get the coverage and "celebrity" status that Casey has now got. This will be tempting to some. Awful thought but could happen.
(3) Casey and her family will now benefit from this case. Cindy is now looking at writing a book and Casey will no doubt earn a small fortune with interviews, a book, film etc etc........ Disgusting..... on the back of a dead 2 year old.
(4) This case has now cost the Tax payer many thousands. Expert witnesses were getting $20,000 and more each to testify.
This is not the first and probably won't be the last travisty of justice as many see this to be. Let's hope that this does not lead to the death of another innocent child because it is seen as a example of how desperate people can flaunt the law and get away with it.
1. Jury system didn't fail. It did what it was supposed to do. Arrive at a decision based on the evidence presented, not what their gut told them.

2. Probably few or none at all.

3. Maybe, maybe not.

4. I'd rather spend my tax money on a fair criminal justice system and ensuring the rights of all in the Constitution than feel-good self-righteous BS anger.

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 07-17-2011 at 11:17 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2011, 10:59 AM
 
26,882 posts, read 17,399,375 times
Reputation: 10598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
What puzzles me is the obsession that so many people have over Casey Anthony and this case. Some of the obsession is surely the media hype, but I'm not so sure that is all of it. I've not seen 'water cooler' talk about a case like I've seen with this one. Here in OK a young lady was attacked as she left work because someone thought she was Casey Anthony. The attacker rammed the lady's truck several times, and the truck turned over. That's crazy.

I can understand people being upset that this little girl received no justice, but parents do horrible things to their children every day. Rape. Murder. Severe abuse. So why have so many people intensely become obsessive over this case? Do you think it was because of the non-stop screaming coverage by loud mouths like Nancy Grace?

The whole thing is just weird.
She has become the poster child for parental neglect and maybe worse. She received massive media attention due to her dragging out the recovery process and hindering police investigation which kept it in the news daily from early on. If she would have told the truth it would have ended the extraordinary attention, but she prolonged the spotlight spectacle. BTW...She is not capable of telling the truth. If she said today was Sunday, I would not believe it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2011, 11:03 AM
 
103 posts, read 152,557 times
Reputation: 217
Unfortunately, the justice system will fail at times and I believe it did with this case. Before posters jump on the "prosecution failed" bandwagon, we need to remember that "not guilty" does NOT in any way translate into "innocent," only that these 12 particular jurors did not believe the evidence was conclusive for a first-degree murder verdict. There was as much evidence in the Laci Peterson murder/Scott Peterson conviction, a proper verdict was handed down in that case (IMO). Perhaps the prosecution should have aimed for a second-degree murder charge, that may have helped ensure a guilty verdict and prison sentence.

As far as Casey Anthony profiting off the murder of her child, I have faith it won't happen. Yes, she will pocket a million or so for her first interview, but keep in mind the parasites (i.e. Jose Baez) will take a shark-like chomp out of that money quickly enough. Hopefully, the Search and Rescue team assigned to search for Caylee will be awarded their monetary judgment in their civil suit against Casey Anthony and that will further chip away at her initial chunk, and we know the IRS will swoop in, vulture-like, quickly enough. I have to have faith in the American public that we will NOT buy any media project attached to this villified child-killer. She may have been acquitted in a "jury of her peers" but the "jury of public sentiment and reasoning" will haunt her, hopefully for the remainder of her existence in this world.

I don't believe Casey Anthony will have any remorse or guilt about attempting to move forward with her life, psychopathic personalities do not have a conscience. What will tear away at her black soul is that fact that she will not be living "La Bella Vita" as she so desperately hoped for. Soon enough, she'll be relegated to either marrying a drug-addled pimp, stripping, doing porn in an attempt to support herself, but in the end it will be the American tax-payer who will be supporting this unconscionable pig through the welfare system.

Last edited by Matterofopinion; 07-17-2011 at 11:19 AM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top