U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:10 AM

7,922 posts, read 7,848,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
She wasn't not guilty. There was only a lack of physical evidence because her lies led the police on a wild goose chase rather than to the body of her 2 year old child rotting in a garbage bag in a swamp. She IS guilty.

The prosecution did a great job....as did the detectives in this case. The jury simply misunderstood that the prosecution did not have to prove cause of death in a circumstantial case. Perhaps the jury should have payed closer attention to the instructions of the judge....rather than dreaming about how much money their interviews may get and how many shows they could appear on.

So, it's fair enough for the OP to ask the question as a discussion point.
You have hit the nail on the head on this one.
I think the prosecution should not have concentrated so much on the Chlorophorm or thecause of death and concentrated on the undoubtable smell in the car and Casey being the constant factor in the disapearance and her access to everything used in the death. Unfortunately just a doubt being shown means a innocent verdict.... Casey was not proved to be innocent.... no DNA of someone else being involved.
What will happen next because of this verdict is worrying more than the fact that she is now out of jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 11:16 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,763,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Which I think is pretty bad because there's tons of cases were a woman accuses a man of sexual assault and it turns out he didn't do anything. Case in point: Dominique Strauss-Kahn

I know, I have a loved one (male) who was falsely accused and went to trial and I know the jury doesn't even get to hear half the truth.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:26 AM

11,456 posts, read 12,742,577 times
What scares me more than anything is that we have a justice system that produced a result. A result that a media led public are completely unsatisfied with. As a result we have a group of 17th century minded fire and pitch fork types who drive up to the jail as this woman was being released. If it weren't for the Police and their fire power I have no doubt this women would have been ripped to shreds.

A woman who looks like Casey has already been attacked by one of these crazies this week. I'd bet that won't be the first or last time she is attacked.

I find this all to be a pathetic. Why even bother to have a justice system at all? Why don't we just set up Kangaroo courts and let the media decide who is guilty and who is not based on what kind of ratings they can get? The media now covers the story from the "We know she is guilty and what will happen next" angle while simultaneously saying "But we wouldn't want anything violent to happen to her."

The Nancy Grace's of the world and her brain dead zealots who have zero vested interest in this case, make an absolute mockery out of our judicial system. Morons who have no respect for our laws and would prefer to find a defendant guilty based solely on an emotional argument and have them stoned to death if they could.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:34 AM

25,059 posts, read 23,218,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
What scares me more than anything is that we have a justice system that produced a result. A result that a media led public are completely unsatisfied with. As a result we have a group of 17th century minded fire and pitch fork types who drive up to the jail as this woman was being released. If it weren't for the Police and their fire power I have no doubt this women would have been ripped to shreds.

A woman who looks like Casey has already been attacked by one of these crazies this week. I'd bet that won't be the first or last time she is attacked.

I find this all to be a pathetic. Why even bother to have a justice system at all? Why don't we just set up Kangaroo courts and let the media decide who is guilty and who is not based on what kind of ratings they can get? The media now covers the story from the "We know she is guilty and what will happen next" angle while simultaneously saying "But we wouldn't want anything violent to happen to her."

The Nancy Grace's of the world and her brain dead zealots who have zero vested interest in this case, make an absolute mockery out of our judicial system. Morons who have no respect for our laws and would prefer to find a defendant guilty based solely on an emotional argument and have them stoned to death if they could.
In one of the very few instances that I agree with you, the 17th century mob mentality of the dumbed down masses scares me a lot. It's mostly mainstream Perry/Palin/Gingrich type conservatives that prefer to do away with all constitutional rights for the accused and go for something seen during the Salem Witch Trials and think criminal defense lawyers are the spawn of the devil and no accused deserves a lawyer

Old 07-17-2011, 11:44 AM

4,112 posts, read 3,828,677 times
The scariest thing about it is the reports of women who look like Casey getting attacked.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:52 AM

7,022 posts, read 6,004,163 times
Default Blame the prosecution and fla state attorney general

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Casey Anthony has now been released from Prison after being found not guilty of killing her 2 year old daughter Caylee. The prosecution bungled its case and too much doubt was left in the jurors minds to convict in a capital murder case. There were those on the jury who do not believe she is innocent but because all the evidence was circumstantial and too many red herrings, they felt they could not convict her of murder. This is a clear case of just because someone is found not guilty it does NOT mean they are innocent....... OJ all over again.
What scares me about this case are a few things......
(1) This is another case where the jury system has failed...but what else can replace it and how can it be improved.
This makes no sense. The jury system WORKED. A jury was not willing to send a US citizen to the electric chair with no clear evidence of wrong-doing. It was the prosecution that failed.

Quote:
(2) How many desperate women out there will look at this case and then at their crying child who they do not want and blame for their awful lives, and then think they can also get away with getting rid of a unwanted child and also get the coverage and "celebrity" status that Casey has now got. This will be tempting to some. Awful thought but could happen.
Casey will be the new Susan Smith - reviled by everyone. She won't be able to cash in on her infamy, at least not for a while. And any money she makes will end up going to those who sue her in civil courts.

People should direct their rage where it belongs - to the Florida state prosecution for doing such a mediocre job on a "slam dunk" case they've allowed a child murderer to go free. Here's the state attorney general's office. Start sending those emails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
The scariest thing about it is the reports of women who look like Casey getting attacked.
Agreed. People are letting their emotions get the best of them.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:34 PM

16,840 posts, read 29,169,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
People need to learn the difference between 'not-guilty' and 'innocent'
While there is a difference between the two, the bottom-line is that Casey Anthony is free. Isn't that all that really matters to her? She can write her books, give her interviews and profit from this heinous crime -- whether not guilty or innocent.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:36 PM

25,059 posts, read 23,218,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
This makes no sense. The jury system WORKED. A jury was not willing to send a US citizen to the electric chair with no clear evidence of wrong-doing. It was the prosecution that failed.

Casey will be the new Susan Smith - reviled by everyone. She won't be able to cash in on her infamy, at least not for a while. And any money she makes will end up going to those who sue her in civil courts.

People should direct their rage where it belongs - to the Florida state prosecution for doing such a mediocre job on a "slam dunk" case they've allowed a child murderer to go free. Here's the state attorney general's office. Start sending those emails!

Agreed. People are letting their emotions get the best of them.
I agree too. I don't want to live in a country where evidence for a criminal conviction rests on a hunch or heresay. I'm glad I don't like in colonial American times because in the 1600s that's how the courts here operated. Salem Witch Trials anyone?

Old 07-17-2011, 12:51 PM

9,544 posts, read 4,884,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
Here we go again....
No DNA that links Casey to the death + No known cause of Death + No motive = Reasonable Doubt = Not Guilty
Though this thread isn't specifically about the verdict, I won't let your +++ = Reasonable Doubt pass because your math is way off.
"No DNA that links Casey to the death"--- an example of the CSI effect, the unrealistic expectation that DNA's found in all murder cases, like on tv.

"No known cause of Death"--- so what. A decomposed body is tough to analyze. Defendants have justly been convicted without a cause of death, or even a body.

"No motive"--- besides motive not being an element of the crime, many if not most people believe motive was obvious.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:51 PM

26,971 posts, read 17,420,892 times
The jury must use the evidence, their experiences in life, and their common sense to determine who committed the crime. These instructions are given by every judge to every jury in America. The prosecution seldom has incontrovertible evidence such as a video or several credible eye-witnesses, and in these cases the verdict must be decided solely on circumstantial evidence. This jury took the easy way out. They wanted the prosecutors to hand them an open-and-shut case so they would not have to stick their own necks out and actually make a decision that would put Casey away forever. If the Anthony jury's attitude prevails across the country, then the conviction rate for murders will decline precipitously in the near future.
Derelict jurors - Chicago Tribune
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime