U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 03:00 PM

8,775 posts, read 10,883,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The jury must use the evidence, their experiences in life, and their common sense to determine who committed the crime. These instructions are given by every judge to every jury in America. The prosecution seldom has incontrovertible evidence such as a video or several credible eye-witnesses, and in these cases the verdict must be decided solely on circumstantial evidence. This jury took the easy way out. They wanted the prosecutors to hand them an open-and-shut case so they would not have to stick their own necks out and actually make a decision that would put Casey away forever. If the Anthony jury's attitude prevails across the country, then the conviction rate for murders will decline precipitously in the near future.
Derelict jurors - Chicago Tribune

Very true. They allowed their emotions of not wanting to convict for fear of the death penalty and the burden and possible guilt that would result to them to dictate their conclusions. If anything, this was an emotionally charged jury who couldn't follow good judgement nor reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 03:07 PM

12,770 posts, read 9,865,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
This makes no sense. The jury system WORKED. A jury was not willing to send a US citizen to the electric chair with no clear evidence of wrong-doing. It was the prosecution that failed.

Casey will be the new Susan Smith - reviled by everyone. She won't be able to cash in on her infamy, at least not for a while. And any money she makes will end up going to those who sue her in civil courts.

People should direct their rage where it belongs - to the Florida state prosecution for doing such a mediocre job on a "slam dunk" case they've allowed a child murderer to go free. Here's the state attorney general's office. Start sending those emails!

Agreed. People are letting their emotions get the best of them.
That's idiotic. You want to send hate mail to the prosecution instead of where it deserves to be, aimed at the murderer of this beautiful, innocent child. You could also blame the cadavor dogs, the people that searched without finding Caylee, on and on.
I hope this harlot rots in hell.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:13 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,788,273 times
If you look at the make up of the jury, the women were less educated than the men, this in a position of lower power, I see the jury foreman as being overwhelmed by the evidence presented, it was too complicated. He went with the path of no proof of how child died, no way to know who did it. I believe the women felt intimidated , as they were lower educated, and did not feel empowered to speak up.

Call Cheney and Baez what you want, they had the "Perfect" jury.

I feel like this was a textbook for other murders, hide the body, say nothing. They could not make this murder rap stick with the body in this case.

Scary. A carefully planned murder, hide the evidence, good to go. Very scary indeed.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:21 PM

8,775 posts, read 10,883,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If you look at the make up of the jury, the women were less educated than the men, this in a position of lower power, I see the jury foreman as being overwhelmed by the evidence presented, it was too complicated. He went with the path of no proof of how child died, no way to know who did it. I believe the women felt intimidated , as they were lower educated, and did not feel empowered to speak up.
This makes sense. And, it may have been difficult for those personalities to go toe to toe with him. And, he was a gym teacher. You know there could be a bit of machismo operating there, too. I remember my HS gym teachers...Maybe jurors need assertiveness training 101 before being on a jury.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:32 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,063,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
What puzzles me is the obsession that so many people have over Casey Anthony and this case. Some of the obsession is surely the media hype, but I'm not so sure that is all of it. I've not seen 'water cooler' talk about a case like I've seen with this one. Here in OK a young lady was attacked as she left work because someone thought she was Casey Anthony. The attacker rammed the lady's truck several times, and the truck turned over. That's crazy.

I can understand people being upset that this little girl received no justice, but parents do horrible things to their children every day. Rape. Murder. Severe abuse. So why have so many people intensely become obsessive over this case? Do you think it was because of the non-stop screaming coverage by loud mouths like Nancy Grace?

The whole thing is just weird.
My sentiments exactly! Yes, it's horrible, tragic, and a travesty of justice what happened to this child, but Caylee Anthony is NOT the first, or the ONLY child to be murdered by her parent. Children are raped, starved, beaten to death, burned, you name it...all the time. Every day. I'm sorry what happened to this little girl, but the media hype and obsession over this case is getting tiring.

Old 07-17-2011, 03:44 PM

9,246 posts, read 9,310,539 times
I know that its hard to do it. However, its time to put this case to rest. There is no such thing as one case that "proves the justice system is a failure".

The jury has spoken. There is no appeal. Finding fault won't bring Caylee back to life.

If you want to put your energy into something constructive. Volunteer for a child abuse hotline, contribute money to a child welfare organization, or support adoption (yes you heard me right--that's part of the problem here) Young single mothers with bad family relationships are going to have children that are more at risk than married mothers with proper family support.

Perhaps, the media "feeding frenzy" inadvertently helped Casey. Maybe some of the jurors felt sympathy for her because of it? In any event, it doesn't matter. Its over with.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:17 PM

17,354 posts, read 19,626,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
It all depends on the jury and how well convinced they are of someone's guilt.
Exactly. And in this case it's obvious that the jury was comprised of a bunch of dumbasses.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:55 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,788,273 times
I think that the prosecution needed to spend more time on explaining "reasonable doubt". With a chart, and examples. They should have had simplified everything, laid it out with visual aids. Given them a road map to follow, leading them to the path. I think the prosecution talked over the level of understanding of the jury.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:56 PM

103 posts, read 152,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
My sentiments exactly! Yes, it's horrible, tragic, and a travesty of justice what happened to this child, but Caylee Anthony is NOT the first, or the ONLY child to be murdered by her parent. Children are raped, starved, beaten to death, burned, you name it...all the time. Every day. I'm sorry what happened to this little girl, but the media hype and obsession over this case is getting tiring.
Yes, unfortunately it's true that many other children are abused or murdered in this country, an absolutely despicable and unforgivable crime, and obviously most of them do not receive this type or any media attention. One reason I believe this case received the intense media coverage it did was because it was a combustible combination of an innocent child being killed and her suspected killer -- her mother -- exhibiting outrageous behavior by going out and swilling alcohol and entering hot-body contests, living "La Bella Vita" if you will -- ALL WHILE HER CHILD WAS SUPPOSEDLY MISSING. It hit a raw, visceral nerve with every decent human being in this country. Her behavior - while not grounds to convict her in a court of law - had been beyond despicable during the time her child's whereabouts were unknown.

There's currently another child murder case in the news, the very sad and heinous murder of an 8-year old Hasidic boy in Brooklyn. While it has made the front page for a fews days now, the lunatic-monster who killed this child has given a confession and will not get away with this crime. His fate is essentially sealed. People were saddened and outraged, but the sense that justice will be served is prevalent; the killer is in prison and will either stay there or in an insane-asylum, and now what is left is for the community to mourn. So, yes ... not all child murder cases garner the attention that Casey Anthony's did but it is in part because this unconscionable pig thought she could kill her daughter and laugh in the world's face by dancing and whooping it up. Unfortunately she was right.

Last edited by Matterofopinion; 07-17-2011 at 05:48 PM..

Old 07-17-2011, 05:51 PM

2,943 posts, read 2,387,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
What scares me more than anything is that we have a justice system that produced a result. A result that a media led public are completely unsatisfied with. As a result we have a group of 17th century minded fire and pitch fork types who drive up to the jail as this woman was being released. If it weren't for the Police and their fire power I have no doubt this women would have been ripped to shreds.

A woman who looks like Casey has already been attacked by one of these crazies this week. I'd bet that won't be the first or last time she is attacked.

I find this all to be a pathetic. Why even bother to have a justice system at all? Why don't we just set up Kangaroo courts and let the media decide who is guilty and who is not based on what kind of ratings they can get? The media now covers the story from the "We know she is guilty and what will happen next" angle while simultaneously saying "But we wouldn't want anything violent to happen to her."

The Nancy Grace's of the world and her brain dead zealots who have zero vested interest in this case, make an absolute mockery out of our judicial system. Morons who have no respect for our laws and would prefer to find a defendant guilty based solely on an emotional argument and have them stoned to death if they could.
One of the best posts I have read here on C-D in quite a while! Rep to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime