U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 06:57 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,747,850 times

Advertisements

Norway's Halden Fengsel Prison: Humane Rehab for Inmates - TIME

This article is from May 2010 but I just read it. I thought it might make an interesting conversation/debate.

From the article:

Quote:
Ten years and 1.5 billion Norwegian kroner ($252 million) in the making, Halden is spread over 75 acres (30 hectares) of gently sloping forest in southeastern Norway. The facility boasts amenities like a sound studio, jogging trails and a freestanding two-bedroom house where inmates can host their families during overnight visits. Unlike many American prisons, the air isn't tinged with the smell of sweat and urine. Instead, the scent of orange sorbet emanates from the "kitchen laboratory" where inmates take cooking courses. "In the Norwegian prison system, there's a focus on human rights and respect," says Are Hoidal, the prison's governor. "We don't see any of this as unusual."

Quote:
Halden's greatest asset, though, may be the strong relationship between staff and inmates. Prison guards don't carry guns — that creates unnecessary intimidation and social distance — and they routinely eat meals and play sports with the inmates. "Many of the prisoners come from bad homes, so we wanted to create a sense of family," says architect Per Hojgaard Nielsen. Half the guards are women — Hoidal believes this decreases aggression — and prisoners receive questionnaires asking how their experience in prison can be improved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2011, 08:33 AM

25,393 posts, read 30,746,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Norway's Halden Fengsel Prison: Humane Rehab for Inmates - TIME

This article is from May 2010 but I just read it. I thought it might make an interesting conversation/debate.

From the article:
What is the minimum crime I'd have to commit in Norway to get locked up abroad??? Sounds more like vacation than prison. I wonder what the recidivisim rate is in Noraway?

Old 07-30-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
What is the minimum crime I'd have to commit in Norway to get locked up abroad??? Sounds more like vacation than prison. I wonder what the recidivisim rate is in Noraway?
It says what it is right in the article:

20% for Norway compared to 50-60% for the US and the UK.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:21 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,306,443 times
I wonder if the mass killer Anders Breivik will be serve time in that prison! I don't know if Norway has the death penalty or not. That would be a terrible thing for the parents of all those teens he killed if he ended up in Norway's Club Med prison.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:16 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,658,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I wonder if the mass killer Anders Breivik will be serve time in that prison! I don't know if Norway has the death penalty or not. That would be a terrible thing for the parents of all those teens he killed if he ended up in Norway's Club Med prison.
No death penalty and yes, he will end up there. Not to mention, under law in Norway, the maximum amount you can serve is 21 years. So our killer, will be out when he is about 53.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
No death penalty and yes, he will end up there. Not to mention, under law in Norway, the maximum amount you can serve is 21 years. So our killer, will be out when he is about 53.
Nice system. I think I'd commit another crime and go back in though. After 21 years, with no career or history out in the general population and a prision that's more like a luxury resort than a prison, in is better than out...

Old 07-30-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Norway CAN sentence to life in prison.

Life imprisonment in Norway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
If the prisoner is still considered dangerous after serving the original sentence, the prisoner can receive up to five years additional containment. If the additional time is served, and the offender is still considered dangerous, a prisoner can continue to receive up to five years additional containment, and this, in theory, could result in actual life imprisonment.[2] However, the offender can be paroled or released at any time if it is determined that the offender is no longer a danger to society.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Nice system. I think I'd commit another crime and go back in though. After 21 years, with no career or history out in the general population and a prision that's more like a luxury resort than a prison, in is better than out...
Are you referring to Breivik?

Old 07-30-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Are you referring to Breivik?
I'm referring to anyone who was in a prison like this for 21 years. You'd have no life on the outside and life on the inside is like vacation. If I had no life on the outside, why be outside? Just commit another crime and go back in for another 21 years. The "punishment" for doing so is really a reward.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:06 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,658,390 times
Quote:
No, they cannot sentence to life in prison. Read it again. The MAXIMUM they can sentence one too is 21 yrs. Afterwhich, they can REQUEST 5 yr extentions; per your post.

However, you realize, its NEVER OCCURRED???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime