U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-01-2011, 11:16 AM
 
52,095 posts, read 41,911,642 times
Reputation: 32514

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
They do NOT have a right to kill their kids.
When you get so worked up that you cannot even read peoples posts and then imply that somehow they said people have a right to kill their kids....you need to take a big old time-out and some really deep breaths.

After that, you should probably apologize to the person you wrote this too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-01-2011, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 30,789,619 times
Reputation: 14584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
They do NOT have a right to kill their kids.
Did I say they did?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Florida
21,698 posts, read 11,160,088 times
Reputation: 7915
This makes me sick. Dogs get treated better.

Stealing a popsicle. What has happened to society? Locking a child up for stealing a popsicle. I believe these people were a sadistic bunch of sickos and took their sickness and power and abused it to the highest degree buy locking up this poor child. So very sad ..

God grant her much love in paradise and this precious soul be cherished in heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 30,789,619 times
Reputation: 14584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yep. We had to talk to the police about one of our kids after he had a string of injuries and a wierdo teacher. We explained all of his injuries which fortunately had happened in front of multiple witnesses and it went away without even having to hire a lawyer.
Yes, witnesses are good. I don't want to imagine what might have happened without witnesses in our case. Yes, my dd tended to visit the emergency room a lot but if they'd bothered to ask her pediatrician, he would have told them that he predicted that when she was walking before she was 9 months old. Apparently, it's common for early walkers to be too brave. Almost every one of dd's accidents was due to her simply lacking a normal fear of getting hurt. The exception was the one at day care. She just fell while running and hit her chin just right to split it wide open. She's lucky the scar is under her chin. It's a nasty looking one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Chambersburg PA
1,739 posts, read 1,763,470 times
Reputation: 1464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That too. Unfortuntately, we do have the right to raise our kids as we see fit within limits. It can be hard to determine if those limits have been crossed to an outsider.

I had a neighbor who spent several months and thousands of dollars defending herself against a wrongful child abuse claim made by a teacher. When it was over, they packed up and moved and I don't blame them. They needed a fresh start somewhere else. Of course nothing happened to the teacher and they have no recourse. Anyone who witnessed that would be leary of making an accusation they weren't positive about.
People don't want to report and be wrong because of the hell they'll put an innocent family through. So they wait until they are sure and that is often too late.

I was turned in by the hospital where I took my dd for treatment after she had an accident at day care. I was so glad her accident happened at day care. If it had been at home, who knows how long I would have been fighting or whether or not I would have won. Because the accident happened at day care, they just talked to us and dropped it.
My best-friend and i were just discussing how when I was a kid, I was a rail...you could count every rib in my body, because I had tonsil problems and hypoglycemia. It's not that my parents didn't feed me. But, nowadays my parents would have been slapped "with failure to thrve" and i may have been stuck in foster care.
I think better training is needed and better pay for children services
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 30,789,619 times
Reputation: 14584
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
My best-friend and i were just discussing how when I was a kid, I was a rail...you could count every rib in my body, because I had tonsil problems and hypoglycemia. It's not that my parents didn't feed me. But, nowadays my parents would have been slapped "with failure to thrve" and i may have been stuck in foster care.
I think better training is needed and better pay for children services
It's no wonder people hide behind closed doors these days. All you need is for someone to take something the wrong way. I am so thankful our day care provider actually had a brain. When dd was abotu 1 1/2 we went to a cousin's wedding. We were staying at a hotel and I had dd in a floatie in the water. Well, I thought her cousin had her and her cousin thougth I had her and the next thing you know, she was under the water. My SIL says she's never seen anyone move as fast as I did when I saw her. I pulled her out and she sputtered but was fine. Well, she told the day care provider, and anyone else who would listen, that I tried to drown her. She told her I pulled her INTO the water instead of OUT OF the water.

OT but our dcp says that the parents of her charges hair would curl and turn gray if they knew some of the stuff their kids had told her. Fortunately, she knows kids well enough to take it with a grain of salt. Otherwise, I think I would have been turned in for child abuse seventeen times over. My kids were great for getting about half of the information right and the rest wrong in a way that left you scratching your head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 02:36 AM
Status: "LILY DALE!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: The New England part of Ohio
18,680 posts, read 23,309,783 times
Reputation: 48895
People such as these disgust me. I actually do have solutions but no one likes them.
I think parents need a permit - ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE UNMARRIED, LIVE WITH A BOY FRIEND ARE UN EMPLOYED, MOVE AROUND A LOT or ARE NOT HS GRADS.

Profiling? You bet. Would have saved this girl, Casey Anthony and Zahara Baker.
In general having kids before 21 should be a juvenile offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 30,789,619 times
Reputation: 14584
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
People such as these disgust me. I actually do have solutions but no one likes them.
I think parents need a permit - ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE UNMARRIED, LIVE WITH A BOY FRIEND ARE UN EMPLOYED, MOVE AROUND A LOT or ARE NOT HS GRADS.

Profiling? You bet. Would have saved this girl, Casey Anthony and Zahara Baker.
In general having kids before 21 should be a juvenile offense.
I could support a law that does not allow anyone under 21 to keep a baby. There are just too many issues with young parents. Locigally, if you're not responsible enough to make the decision as to whether or not to have a beer at, say, 18, why would anyone think you're responsible enough to make decisions for a baby?

I think we need to say, you need to be X years old in order to have the right to keep a baby. We should decide on a minimum parenting age.

I know this is not PC but think about it. We've decided you can't drive until you're 16 and have gone through training, you can't vote until you are 18 and you can't drink until you are 21. So why are we allowing 15 year olds, with no training, to keep babies? Shouldn't parenthood be the LAST thing we allow based on age? Shouldn't you be considered a responsible adult by society before you're allowed to keep your baby? The baby involves more responsibility than driving, voting and the right to drink combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 07:08 AM
 
Location: South Carolina
13,829 posts, read 18,841,125 times
Reputation: 24524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I could support a law that does not allow anyone under 21 to keep a baby. There are just too many issues with young parents. Locigally, if you're not responsible enough to make the decision as to whether or not to have a beer at, say, 18, why would anyone think you're responsible enough to make decisions for a baby?

I think we need to say, you need to be X years old in order to have the right to keep a baby. We should decide on a minimum parenting age.

I know this is not PC but think about it. We've decided you can't drive until you're 16 and have gone through training, you can't vote until you are 18 and you can't drink until you are 21. So why are we allowing 15 year olds, with no training, to keep babies? Shouldn't parenthood be the LAST thing we allow based on age? Shouldn't you be considered a responsible adult by society before you're allowed to keep your baby? The baby involves more responsibility than driving, voting and the right to drink combined.
You make a good point here and this is def something that should be thought about and over .But on the other hand there have been people that are over 21 and still make lousy parents . So there is always an exception to the rule .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,337 posts, read 54,765,930 times
Reputation: 66878
Last year I read the book Journey Into Darkness, by John Douglas (with a co-writer) who is a former FBI agent and was one of the earliest of the profilers. The book is about the minds of the serial killers and child-molester killers. I recommend the book, but you might have a little trouble sleeping at night.

It talks about how they try to get into the heads of the killers by looking at their actions--for example, if a child rapist/killer had affection toward his victim (in his sick way) he will leave the body in a park or alongside a road where she will be easily found.

I also remember reading somewhere--not sure if it was the same book--that mothers who murder often put their kids' bodies in water--sort of a return-to-the-womb idea. Think of Susan Smith or that woman who drowned her kids in the bathtub.

Anyway, the point was--as I read this book it dawned on me as Douglas described these cases HOW DAMN MANY OF THEM THERE ARE!!! I guess living in our own parts of the country, we don't hear about all the child murders or other murders in other states, but it seems that they are just endless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top