U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:29 AM

25,393 posts, read 30,802,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
I guess that's where our viewpoints diverge. I'm not one of those "protect the children at all costs type people"
I have seen that mentality cause way too much pain in my own family with false accusations and such.
I believe in balance. Not jumping from one extreme to the other.
I believe children do deserve good loving homes. But choosing those homes based on age isn't the way to go. There are loads of kids that were abused in foster care by parents way over 18...and there are loads of kids that had a 19 yr old mom and have been quite happy.
Three of my closest friends had their oldest kids at 19 and those "kids" are happy well adjusted adults now.
I myself, got pregnant (but miscarried) at 19. I was working full-time and helping to take care of my mom who had cancer. (she went into remission but died 4 years later) My oldest (who I had at age 22) was only a year and a half old and doesn't remember her.
We get to read and hear about the sensational cases of child abuse but society doesn't equally praise all the young parents who do take good care of their kids...which leaves a rather one-sided impression.
All I can say is WOW. I believe that the rights of the child supercede any percieved rights of the parents. The child is the one at risk!!!!

IMO, we should be doing everything possible to insure that every child is raised by good parents even if that means screening parents and requiring training. This is NOT about the parents. It's about the child. Unfortunately, the only way it could possibly work would be to sterilize every woman and make her prove she's ready to be a mother and can provide for a child to have the procedure undone and that is never going to happen. We don't have the money to pull every child who even appears to be at risk let alone to start enforcing a minimum age of parenting so children wil continue to be abused and die. It's pretty sad that we put the right of their parents to procreate above them but we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:22 AM

52,114 posts, read 41,937,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm not a big TV person (except for the ID Channel with all the True Crime) so I never heard of this woman until I happened upon her by accident near the end of the Casey Anthony trial. I thought I'd listen because I hadn't really been following the case and wanted to catch up.

That was the first and last time I want to listen to her.
Yes. If I had to play the game kill-marry-screw with Nancy Grace, Larry the Cable Guy and a donkey.....let's just say that it would still be worth killing Nancy Grace.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,764,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
All I can say is WOW. I believe that the rights of the child supercede any percieved rights of the parents. The child is the one at risk!!!!

IMO, we should be doing everything possible to insure that every child is raised by good parents even if that means screening parents and requiring training. This is NOT about the parents. It's about the child. Unfortunately, the only way it could possibly work would be to sterilize every woman and make her prove she's ready to be a mother and can provide for a child to have the procedure undone and that is never going to happen. We don't have the money to pull every child who even appears to be at risk let alone to start enforcing a minimum age of parenting so children wil continue to be abused and die. It's pretty sad that we put the right of their parents to procreate above them but we do.
Like I said, we see things differently....and since we don't have the resources as you stated, I guess it's a moot point. I have kids, I LOVE my kids, other kids are ok...but I've never been one who thinks that children's rights should supercede everything else.
When we start doing that, innocent people get hurt because people get short-sighted in their fervor...
And IMO an innocent person is an innocent person whether they are 5 or 45 ...and neither is more important than the other.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,764,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes. If I had to play the game kill-marry-screw with Nancy Grace, Larry the Cable Guy and a donkey.....let's just say that it would still be worth killing Nancy Grace.
Lol! I agree

Old 08-03-2011, 11:49 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,755,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Dear God. The only real solution I can think of it to train a live video cam on every child, 24/7. If the neighbors had been watching Christian Choate would still be alive, too. And Tish Carmichael. And Ricky Holland. By the way, this is the anniversary of Ricky Holland's murder.
Harsher punishments work well too.

If you murder a child, it's a trial, then to the gallows. No appeal after appeal, no book deals/movie rights, NOTHING! You get hung, game over, the end, do not pass go, do not collect $200, NOTHING!

It's a sad day in this country, when pot dealers serve more time than murderers do!

Old 08-04-2011, 01:17 AM

1,412 posts, read 2,790,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondee View Post
Here is an example of good citizens who did decide to get involved . The man had been trying to lure children into his home for a month. Thank God none of the children went inside his house. Word got out into the community and the matter was taken care of ( right away!) before any child was hurt and/or murdered.

Child luring suspect found beaten
Too bad this happened in 2007. Surely there are more of these predators that need a good azz kicking!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:00 AM

52,114 posts, read 41,937,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Harsher punishments work well too.

If you murder a child, it's a trial, then to the gallows. No appeal after appeal, no book deals/movie rights, NOTHING! You get hung, game over, the end, do not pass go, do not collect $200, NOTHING!

It's a sad day in this country, when pot dealers serve more time than murderers do!
Actually, I like having the DP but allowing people to plea to Life No Parole in those cases and here is why....

These scumbags have likely been involved in other crimes. This could help other families have closure, find bodies etc. For reference this is exactly what was done with the Green River Killer. Without the DP on the books they will just roll the dice on trial, lengthy appeals process etc.

With a strict no-deals DP on the books you get the same thing, you have no leverage over the murderer to help clear unsolved cases, perhaps turn in other pedos they know etc.

P.S. This is also the only way around the whole appeal after appeal thing without a constitutional amendment that will never happen.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:03 PM

4,907 posts, read 6,133,391 times
Quote:
...Cliffie...snipped...And Ricky Holland. By the way, this is the anniversary of Ricky Holland's murder.
one of the saddest. But, then again, they all are.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:12 PM

22,837 posts, read 16,900,943 times
What can WE do as a society? The article I read stated that the neighbors KNEW that this kid had been locked in that box as punishment before....but NO ONE reported it?!?!

NO ONE?!

WE as a society need to start getting involved and stop acting like we shouldn't. Too many times we hear or see things and we do NOTHING about it. Pick up the damn phone and call someone if you KNOW that the child was PUT. IN. A. BOX!!!! as punishment, in the past! NOWHERE is that proper parenting!

Old 08-06-2011, 09:35 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,802,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What can WE do as a society? The article I read stated that the neighbors KNEW that this kid had been locked in that box as punishment before....but NO ONE reported it?!?!

NO ONE?!

WE as a society need to start getting involved and stop acting like we shouldn't. Too many times we hear or see things and we do NOTHING about it. Pick up the damn phone and call someone if you KNOW that the child was PUT. IN. A. BOX!!!! as punishment, in the past! NOWHERE is that proper parenting!
It would depend on what being put in a box means. It could have been a big box she sat in like sitting in a chair in the corner. Back in pioneer days a wooden box was used to keep children safe while mom ran to the barn or whatever. It looked like a house with a pitched roof with the peak cut off. The box was tall enough so the child could just peek out but not get out of the box.

Seriously, I wouldn't think to call CPS if someone told me a child was made to sit in a box for punishment. I wouldn't be thinking a small plastic tub with the lid closed. I'd be thinking a box in the corner which, really, is no different than a chair in the corner. It's something to sit in until their time out is done. I can see someone not thinking this is an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime