U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:03 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,791,229 times

Advertisements

When I say successful I mean someone who has escaped from prison never to have been found again. Someone who has been gone for a good number of years and are not really being looked for much anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 06:41 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,626,891 times
One of the more interesting ones I've ever heard of was a former inmate on FL's Death Row. He was relaying his story on a www.prisontalk forum, but lately I can't seem to find his user name or any info about him......he went by the name of Heavymetalcowboy. He escaped out of fear from Florida State Prison for expected retaliation from guards who brutally beat to death Frank Valdez another DR inmate. He apparently was in close enough vicinty to provide damning evidence that this was no accident and the crime was heniuos and brutal.

HMCowboy told of escaping through vehicles coming in and out of the prison and I believe the manhunt lasted 5 days cowboy ditching dogs and helicopters, and leo's in gator/ snake infested swamps and after 5 days the horrid swamp conditions infleunced him to stop running and surrender. Oddly enough despite his Death or LWOP sentence he was released from Department custody for what he claims "I knew to much" and was posting under then name from Montana, a free man. A book deal was also mentioned by him, but he seems to have vanished.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:43 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,750,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
When I say successful I mean someone who has escaped from prison never to have been found again. Someone who has been gone for a good number of years and are not really being looked for much anymore.
Looking to escape??

Old 08-02-2011, 09:05 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,791,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Looking to escape??
Haha no.

Watched a movie "the next three days" over the weekend and it got me to thinking about actual prison breaks

Old 08-02-2011, 10:51 PM

18,678 posts, read 23,263,761 times
Hard to call this a success, but Ted Bundy, at the time only a suspected serial killer, escaped from Prison in Colorado and made his way to Florida, where he killed 3 more women.

He was not apprehended in relation to the escape, so I suppose you could call it a success,

Old 08-03-2011, 08:09 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,760,927 times
Alcatraz

Old 08-03-2011, 08:13 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,760,927 times
Then there's PA's Merle Unger. i've had old-times around here tell me when he was in the old jail downtown he would break out every so often and turn up at the bingo hall Here's an article:
Merle Unger Recaptured - Baltimore Sun

Old 08-03-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Hard to call this a success, but Ted Bundy, at the time only a suspected serial killer, escaped from Prison in Colorado and made his way to Florida, where he killed 3 more women.

He was not apprehended in relation to the escape, so I suppose you could call it a success,
Not just once but twice, since he had some education in law he had access to the law library, no handcuffs and shackles and unsupervised he jumped out of a 2nd story courthouse window and badly injured his ankle, he lasted 6 days on the run before he got caught.

The 2nd time he hacksawed out of his cell, stole a car, it broke down, then he took a bus to Denver , plane to Chicago, stole another car and ended up in FL.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 AM

7,112 posts, read 9,352,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Not just once but twice, since he had some education in law he had access to the law library, no handcuffs and shackles and unsupervised he jumped out of a 2nd story courthouse window and badly injured his ankle, he lasted 6 days on the run before he got caught.

The 2nd time he hacksawed out of his cell, stole a car, it broke down, then he took a bus to Denver , plane to Chicago, stole another car and ended up in FL.
FYI, ALL prisoners have access to the law library. So they can participate in their own defense.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
FYI, ALL prisoners have access to the law library. So they can participate in their own defense.
Are you sure about that? State Prison yes. County Jail you have to fill out a form for every thing you want (except for maybe rec yard time, showers, jail food).......toothache, chaplain visit, bond reduction hearing, medical care, transfer to another cell, toothbrush, commissary you have to fill out a request form. Fill out a form to visit the law library and they'll throw it right back in your face laughing, at least in my neck of the woods they would.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or