U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-14-2011, 09:20 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,645,060 times
Reputation: 13019

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I'm not sure about Florida, but most states have a list of felonies that can lead to felony murder and child neglect is rarely if ever on the list. Do you offhand know the Florida felony murder law ? Child neglect might not be included as an underlying felony.
Actually I'm not sure, and you might be right.

Quote:
For child neglect to be a felony, the neglect must be wilful or rise to the level of culpable negligence. I'm just not seeing how That jury would have convicted. I think they were so confused, enamored of the accidental drowning allegation, suspicious of George's role, and In My Opinion focused on the 1st degree murder charge, unwilling to connect dots, they wouldn't convict of anything that involved proof beyond a reasonable doubt that Casey herself did something wrong to or with Caylee.
I think the fact that she willfully chose to not report her child missing for 31 days meets the criteria with no question.

If they charged her with 2nd degree felony child neglect, I have no doubt they would have gotten a conviction and she would have been sentenced to the max of 15 years. That's still better than what the prosecutor got by overcharging her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-14-2011, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,943 posts, read 19,176,033 times
Reputation: 9175
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I think the fact that she willfully chose to not report her child missing for 31 days meets the criteria with no question.
But you cannot commit neglect against someone who has already died. At the very worst she could have been charged with simple neglect for actually allowing Caylee to drown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 01:30 PM
 
18,852 posts, read 31,756,753 times
Reputation: 26119
THERE IS NO EVIDENCE THAT SHE DROWNED!!! How can you just accept that as a fact? It was presented as an alternative by the defense...

The simple facts of the case, that should have been presented to the jury are:
1. Casey was the last person to be seen with Caylee.
2. Caylee is dead.
Simple logic is that Casey was aware of the death, did not report the death, and tried to cover up the death. Therefore, Casey should be held responsible for the death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 01:32 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,645,060 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
But you cannot commit neglect against someone who has already died. At the very worst she could have been charged with simple neglect for actually allowing Caylee to drown.
There's no proof of when or how Caylee died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,943 posts, read 19,176,033 times
Reputation: 9175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
THERE IS NO EVIDENCE THAT SHE DROWNED!!!
That has nothing to do with the post I quoted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There's no proof of when or how Caylee died.
Which again, does not matter. You are asserting that because Casey didn't report her missing she meets the criteria for neglect. That is impossible as you cannot commit neglect against someone who is dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 01:59 PM
 
9,917 posts, read 9,313,625 times
Reputation: 8058
I guess if you cannot commit neglect against someone who is dead ... than Casey killed her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,943 posts, read 19,176,033 times
Reputation: 9175
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I guess if you cannot commit neglect against someone who is dead ... than Casey killed her.
The logic does not follow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 02:22 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,645,060 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
That has nothing to do with the post I quoted.



Which again, does not matter. You are asserting that because Casey didn't report her missing she meets the criteria for neglect. That is impossible as you cannot commit neglect against someone who is dead.
I disagree. Casey made ample statements to the police--which would be admissible in court--that her child was kidnapped. Not reporting your child being kidnapped is most definitely child neglect. Her own words would be used to prove the charges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 02:34 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,943 posts, read 19,176,033 times
Reputation: 9175
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I disagree. Casey made ample statements to the police--which would be admissible in court--that her child was kidnapped. Not reporting your child being kidnapped is most definitely child neglect. Her own words would be used to prove the charges.
Ignoring the fact that you've now moved the goalposts, we now know pretty conclusively that this scenario never happened and resulted in a conviction for lying to law enforcement. You can't have it both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-14-2011, 02:43 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,645,060 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Ignoring the fact that you've now moved the goalposts, we now know pretty conclusively that this scenario never happened and resulted in a conviction for lying to law enforcement. You can't have it both ways.
I'm not sure about that. The fact that she led the police around on a wild goose chase while her daughter might still have been alive (no evidence of exactly when she died) is enough evidence to get her for child neglect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top