U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 02:25 AM

15,164 posts, read 13,432,307 times

Advertisements

Aren't attorneys in BIG trouble if they make up an outright lie to defend their clients?

I just don't think Baez came up with that defense.

If Baez made up that defense, I don't think he would have added George into the mix......which, IMO, made that story ludicrous.

If the defense was that Casey was alone with Caylee when she "drowned"......and then panicked......it would have been more believable.

A very young mother, all alone, panicking in such a situation......and going "crazy" trying to cover up the death......I can buy that.

A grown man in his fifties, an ex police officer, panicking and disposing of the body instead of just calling 911.....totally unbelievable to me.

That story has Casey written all over it, putting George at the scene enabled her to put the blame on someone else.

Lots of kids drown in Florida every year.....their parents do not go to jail.....George would know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 05:50 AM

25,393 posts, read 30,742,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Aren't attorneys in BIG trouble if they make up an outright lie to defend their clients?

I just don't think Baez came up with that defense.

If Baez made up that defense, I don't think he would have added George into the mix......which, IMO, made that story ludicrous.

If the defense was that Casey was alone with Caylee when she "drowned"......and then panicked......it would have been more believable.

A very young mother, all alone, panicking in such a situation......and going "crazy" trying to cover up the death......I can buy that.

A grown man in his fifties, an ex police officer, panicking and disposing of the body instead of just calling 911.....totally unbelievable to me.

That story has Casey written all over it, putting George at the scene enabled her to put the blame on someone else.

Lots of kids drown in Florida every year.....their parents do not go to jail.....George would know that.
I think the whole story is a lie. I think Casey made it up thinking she could shift the focus onto George. Casey only cares about Casey. She doesn't care who she throws under the bus if it means she looks better. I expect her book will be full of all kinds of lies about how everyone abused her and failed her in an attempt to make people pity her. I don't believe any of it is true. Casey cares for and protects only one person and that is Casey.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:24 AM

13,930 posts, read 19,154,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
They could lose their bar certification to begin with.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:38 AM

2,637 posts, read 10,938,562 times
My personal feelings after watching most of the raw courtroom footage, thankfully without the squawking of Nancy Grace, is that Casey's actions afterwards do not jibe with first degree premeditated murder. If she had planned to murder her daughter, wouldn't she have planned a better disposal method? She drove around town for days with a corpse rotting in her trunk, being seen and smelled all over town. She abandoned the car in a parking lot where it was bound to be impounded. Eventually she dumped the body very close to her home in an area all her high school friends knew was a hang out of hers. None of that seems premeditated (planned) to me, that seems like pure panic. There are huge tracts of undeveloped land within an easy 30 minute drive of suburban Orlando, why not dump her somewhere she would never be found? It just makes no sense.

Now, although I don't believe the prosecution's allegations of premeditated murder, I also don't believe that Caylee drowned nor that George Anthony had anything to do with - if he had it would have been covered up better. I suspect the real story is that Casey left her strapped in the carseat when she ran in somewhere for a minute, got distracted by something, and simply forgot about her in the car until it was too late. Sadly it happens pretty frequently around here at that time of year. When she realized that Caylee was dead, she moved her to the trunk so no one could see, started driving around trying to figure out what to do, and the rest is history.

The panic was because this was her fault somehow - she forgot about her, maybe she (Casey) was on drugs and it wasn't until she came down that she remembered Caylee in the car. Maybe she had drugged Caylee too, but I find it completely laughable that she made up her own batch of chloroform and used it for this purpose. There is no way I can see little miss do-nothing having the discipline and follow-through to do such a thing when she could have easily drugged Caylee into submission with a variety of OTC and prescription drugs which would be available to an Orlando club kid. The prosecution should have stuck to the chloroform as evidence of decomposition, they muddied the waters when they tried to also say it was the murder weapon. Oh wait, it was the duct tape! They should have had one coherent theory that explained everything and fit the evidence. It seems like instead they tried to massage the evidence to fit their ever-shifting theories. And some of their evidence was deliberately misleading, like the "84 chloroform searches" thing. I doubted that very strongly and assumed it was a software glitch which later turned out to be true, yet the prosecution ran with it anyway and presented the 84 searches in open court even after the guy who wrote the program contacted them about this very serious error. Apparently they failed to provide this exculpatory evidence to the defense. They wanted a conviction at all costs. I want prosecutors to stay within the letter and the spirit of the law - this was dirty pool.

Lastly, if I was a juror I would have been very concerned about the state of the scene when Caylee's remains were finally recovered. The scene and the remains themselves were of questionable forensic value because they had been tampered with. The meter reader admitted on the stand that he contaminated the scene in order to prove to himself that what he had found really was human remains before he reported them again. Something about his attitude on the stand made me very suspicious of him, I understand why the cops never took his earlier reports seriously. I found myself wondering if he might have moved the remains from where he originally found them, perhaps to make it easier on the cops to find, perhaps because as he said on the stand, he had been told that this was the likely location of the little girl's remains. I think he wanted the reward, but more importantly I think he wanted community recognition.

I don't blame the jurors for their failure to convict. I blame the police who failed to recover the remains promptly, and the prosecution for thinking they could tweak the jury's emotions to cover the holes in their evidence. I would certainly not convict someone of any crime unless I was presented with evidence that made clear the extent and type of their involvement. People are annoyed with the jury for not "reading between the lines", yet the jury instructions specifically require that they operate off evidence, not gut feelings. Even though I think Casey was at the least negligent in some way, there is just no proof of that. Maybe Caylee had an unknown underlying medical condition and she died through no fault of Casey's and she just panicked afterwards because she knew her mother would never believe her. When you have to read between the lines you can make up whatever story you want. That's not how a jury of your peers is supposed to work.

Last edited by tilli; 08-16-2011 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: missed a period.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:54 AM

13,930 posts, read 19,154,540 times
Excellent post, Tilli. I especially agree that the police (the Orange County Sheriff's Office in this case) ultimately bears alot of the blame. They basically found every way possible to botch this investigation.

Old 08-21-2011, 06:49 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,898,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Because Casey's actions after the fact aren't consistent with an accidental drowning. And yes, they matter. I was once on a jury that acquitted a man BECAUSE his actions after the fact were consistent with his version of he story. Hers are not. They are the actions of someone trying to hide something not the actions of a, supposedly, loving mother whose child just "accidentally" drowned. Ever heard the saying "Actions speak louder than words?". Her actions don't fit her words.
I've posted my thoughts previously.

Nothing adds up with the Anthony families actions and testimonies. Casey is a product of how she was raised. I've read sociopathy runs in families, the same as other medical and mental health issues.

If you've seen any of the jailhouse visits between her mother ,father and Casey, when Cindy Anthony said she heard Caylee drown in the pool and Casey replied "surprise...surprise". Where did Cindy get that peice of information? George.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:29 AM

25,393 posts, read 30,742,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
I've posted my thoughts previously.

Nothing adds up with the Anthony families actions and testimonies. Casey is a product of how she was raised. I've read sociopathy runs in families, the same as other medical and mental health issues.

If you've seen any of the jailhouse visits between her mother ,father and Casey, when Cindy Anthony said she heard Caylee drown in the pool and Casey replied "surprise...surprise". Where did Cindy get that peice of information? George.
There were all kinds of rumors floating around. There was a pool... a child is dead.... Someone was bound to come up with that theory.

I don't believe it. You don't put a child who drowned in a pool into your trunk. Now a child you left in the car or drugged and died? I can see it then as she'd be in panic to cover her own butt knowing that she would be blamed for the death. How many parents go to jail because a child drowned in a pool? It's just not something you'd jump immedicately to cover my butt mode because of.

Personally, I'd feel so bad that I failed my child I would have turned myself in in two seconds under any of these scenarios. I couldn't live with myself if I failed to protect my child.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
There were all kinds of rumors floating around. There was a pool... a child is dead.... Someone was bound to come up with that theory.

I don't believe it. You don't put a child who drowned in a pool into your trunk. Now a child you left in the car or drugged and died? I can see it then as she'd be in panic to cover her own butt knowing that she would be blamed for the death. How many parents go to jail because a child drowned in a pool? It's just not something you'd jump immedicately to cover my butt mode because of.

Personally, I'd feel so bad that I failed my child I would have turned myself in in two seconds under any of these scenarios. I couldn't live with myself if I failed to protect my child.
I get what you're saying..My opinion of the family dynamic differs. Who would make a drowning look like a murder? George and Casey.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:03 PM

15,164 posts, read 13,432,307 times
I just don't believe George had anything to do with Caylee's death.

What would his motive be? If Caylee really drowned.....NOTHING would have happened to George or Casey.

It would have been just another child drowning.....it happens all of the time, especially in Florida....and NO ONE goes to jail.

It would have been labeled an accident. George, especially as an ex police officer, would have KNOWN that.

Casey is the only one dumb enough to try to cover up an accidental drowning.....and she threw George into the story because nothing is EVER Casey's fault.

Why did she claim George and Lee molested her? Because then she could blame everything she ever did wrong in her whole life on someone else.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:32 PM

I felt the same way, these things changed my mind

1)
A child dies, put into a laundry bag and several garbage bags from the home
and then the trunk of Caseys car parked in the garage

2)
George was at home and didn't see anything, hear anything?
Had no clue anything happened to his granddaughter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or