U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2011, 06:32 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,671,366 times
Reputation: 13020

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Here's what I think happened. Casey had left home and for the first time she had to deal with her daughter totally on her own. She couldn't handle it and it interfered with her party lifestyle. Casey began to sedate Caylee to help her sleep, probably using Xanax, Valium, etc. She may have even used Chloroform at some point. According to a friend of mine who's a cop, prescription sedatives like Xanax can be bought on the street illegally very easily. At some point Casey accidentally gave Caylee too much Xanax, Valium, etc., and Caylee died. Casey put Caylee in the trunk of her car and was in a daze for a few days. She knew she had made a huge mistake and her parents adored Caylee. Casey had also had a big fight with her parents and had left home so she knew they wouldn't help her. During those few days while Caylee's dead body was in the trunk of her car she decided that she would bury the body and come with a story about Caylee being kidnapped by "Zanny the nanny". Casey then buried Caylee's body and used duct tape from George's garage to cover Caylee's mouth to make it look like she had been kidnapped and buried. That would support her kidnapping story if anyone found Caylee's body. I don't think George was involved in the incident at all. What former policeman would bury a body that close to his own home, and that close to the road? I think that Casey herself buried Caylee's body. The reason Casey didn't report her child missing for 31 days is because she wanted Caylee's body to decompose. She had probably heard her father George, the ex-cop, talk about criminal cases before and she knew that it would be very difficult to prove that she had killed Caylee after her body had decomposed for a while. That's why she delayed telling anyone as long as possible. When her mother Cindy confronted her after 31 days she finally admitted that Caylee was missing and she decided to procede with her kidnapping story, hoping that Caylee's body would never be found but feeling confident that she had covered her tracks just in case her body was found. I believe that something very similar to that happened. So in a sense, I think the whole thing was most likely "an accident that snowballed out of control".
I agree with this except, I have a different reason for the duct tape being over the mouth--to keep her quiet if she woke up while Casey was out partying.

I also don't think Casey wanted the body to decompose, but rather was at first trying to come up with a story, then just hoping that if she ignored it, the entire situation would go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-06-2011, 06:36 AM
 
9,545 posts, read 4,884,995 times
Reputation: 3882
It wasn't an accident.

The jury had a problem. If it wasn't an accident, was it murder or manslaughter ? If you're a juror and don't know beyond a reasonable doubt which of the 2 crimes it was, do you hold out for the lesser charge [I would] ? Could you be swayed by a juror like Ford, who said it was as easy to follow the accident dots as the murder dots [ I couldn't] ?

IIRC, the 1st vote on manslaughter was 6-6. I'd be very interested in hearing why the 6 original guilty on manslaughter jurors changed to ng. Did they end up believing the way Ford did, or did they think it was Either murder or manslaughter so convicted of neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2011, 06:43 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,671,366 times
Reputation: 13020
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
The reason I think this way is ... I just cannot conceive of a mother killing their child. I know Susan Smith, Andrea Yates ... mothers do kill but I still cannot come to grips with that for some reason.
Susan Smith was a cold, calculating sociopath. Andrea Yates was a mentally ill woman who was failed by society. Their cases were nothing alike. Susan Smith and Casey Anthony belong in the same jail cell.

Andrea Yates belongs where she is, in a mental health facility. She had been released from a mental health facility shortly before murdering her children, and per doctors orders was not supposed to be left without adult supervision. Yet she was, even though she was obviously suffering from severe depression and psychosis. The mental health providers and her husband failed her and those children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2011, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Ohio
15,183 posts, read 13,464,663 times
Reputation: 20614
Andrea Yates.....her husband gets most of the blame, IMO. He pressured her to have yet another child, even though she was already showing signs of PPD and severe mental strain with the ones they already had. Then to top it all off.....he allowed her to be left her alone with the children, after he had been specifically told not to. His attitude reminds me of Tom Cruise....."pray about it woman and just get over it".

I can't put Casey in the same category as Susan Smith and Diane Downs....those women had the deliberate intent to murder their children......no doubt there.

We will never know if Casey deliberately killed Caylee or not. I tend to think she accidently overdosed her.....she certainly didn't have a well thought out plan when it came to disposing of the body.....something you would have if you planned a murder ahead of time. She bumbled her way through when it came to disposing of the body......carrying it around in the car for days.....and then just throwing it out into a wooded area, close to home, just 20 feet off of the road, without even burying it. She just got extremely lucky that the body wasn't found sooner. George almost seeing it the day she returned the gas cans, the hurricane, the deputy that bungled the first tip because he was afraid of snakes, lucky that a wild animal or stray dog didn't drag a piece of the body out into the open. On and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2011, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 30,789,619 times
Reputation: 14584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Andrea Yates.....her husband gets most of the blame, IMO. He pressured her to have yet another child, even though she was already showing signs of PPD and severe mental strain with the ones they already had. Then to top it all off.....he allowed her to be left her alone with the children, after he had been specifically told not to. His attitude reminds me of Tom Cruise....."pray about it woman and just get over it".

I can't put Casey in the same category as Susan Smith and Diane Downs....those women had the deliberate intent to murder their children......no doubt there.

We will never know if Casey deliberately killed Caylee or not. I tend to think she accidently overdosed her.....she certainly didn't have a well thought out plan when it came to disposing of the body.....something you would have if you planned a murder ahead of time. She bumbled her way through when it came to disposing of the body......carrying it around in the car for days.....and then just throwing it out into a wooded area, close to home, just 20 feet off of the road, without even burying it. She just got extremely lucky that the body wasn't found sooner. George almost seeing it the day she returned the gas cans, the hurricane, the deputy that bungled the first tip because he was afraid of snakes, lucky that a wild animal or stray dog didn't drag a piece of the body out into the open. On and on.

You make good points. While I do think she caused Caylee's death, I'm not convinced she intended to kill her. So, I'd have to convict of manslaughter not murder, if I'd been on the jury, but I, certainly would not have let her walk. Her actions SCREAM that she was hiding something that was not a true accident. She may not have intended to kill Caylee but I'm convinced she did.

She is lucky the body wasn't found sooner. Decomposition erased enough evidence that she managed to walk away. I pray she never has another child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2011, 08:21 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,671,366 times
Reputation: 13020
Hurricane? What hurricane? We haven't had a hurricane hit Orlando since 2004.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2011, 08:57 AM
 
Location: Ohio
15,183 posts, read 13,464,663 times
Reputation: 20614
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Hurricane? What hurricane? We haven't had a hurricane hit Orlando since 2004.
Ummm.....Hurricane Fay hit Orlando in August, 2008...... not that long after Caylee's body was dumped. The dump site, which was normally dry......became flooded.....which helped hide the body and washed away evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2011, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Ohio
15,183 posts, read 13,464,663 times
Reputation: 20614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You make good points. While I do think she caused Caylee's death, I'm not convinced she intended to kill her. So, I'd have to convict of manslaughter not murder, if I'd been on the jury, but I, certainly would not have let her walk. Her actions SCREAM that she was hiding something that was not a true accident. She may not have intended to kill Caylee but I'm convinced she did.

She is lucky the body wasn't found sooner. Decomposition erased enough evidence that she managed to walk away. I pray she never has another child.
I agree.....she should have been convicted of manslaughter.....and I also hope she never has another child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2011, 09:26 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,671,366 times
Reputation: 13020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Ummm.....Hurricane Fay hit Orlando in August, 2008...... not that long after Caylee's body was dumped. The dump site, which was normally dry......became flooded.....which helped hide the body and washed away evidence.
Wrong. Fay was never more than a tropical storm, and there was minimal at best damage to the Orlando area. The areas that got the huge amounts of rainfall and tornado activity were 60 miles away in Melbourne.

I live in the Orlando area. We all went about our business during Fay, which was nothing more than a very rainy day for us. That site is going to flood any time we get a lot of rain, it doesn't take a hurricane to cause flooding. (And some hurricanes are very dry but bring strong winds--Charley was an example of that.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2011, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Ohio
15,183 posts, read 13,464,663 times
Reputation: 20614
Hurricane Fay Tracking Projected Path Directed Over Florida: Should Floridians Be Worried?

You want to nit pick over whether is was Hurricane Fay or Tropical Storm Fay?

Really?

Are you sure you weren't on the Casey Anthony jury?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top