U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2011, 07:34 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Reputation: 13019

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Her lies prove she knew. That makes her, at least, an accessory.
Actually they don't prove anything except that she lies.

Had she been charged with felony child neglect, they would have gotten a conviction. That was really the only thing they could prove based on the evidence they had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2011, 10:30 PM
 
9,911 posts, read 9,298,562 times
Reputation: 8048
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually they don't prove anything except that she lies.

Had she been charged with felony child neglect, they would have gotten a conviction. That was really the only thing they could prove based on the evidence they had.
No matter what options they had in the long list of charges, I believe all they would have charged her with was the lying to LEO. The only other charge they may have discussed for a few minutes was the death penalty and after throwing that out I don't think the jury even considered the other charges and went straight to the last four charges of lying. They didn't deliberate long enough to consider anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 05:01 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
No matter what options they had in the long list of charges, I believe all they would have charged her with was the lying to LEO. The only other charge they may have discussed for a few minutes was the death penalty and after throwing that out I don't think the jury even considered the other charges and went straight to the last four charges of lying. They didn't deliberate long enough to consider anything else.
I knew as they went in to deliberate that the prosecution had not proven the case for the charges brought. I predicted 1-2 days of deliberation, I personally wouldn't have needed more than a single day, and that was only to hear out anyone who didn't agree with me. But my mind was made up before they finished closing arguments, on a purely legal basis, the prosecution overcharged and didn't prove the case. Oh, and that Baez is an annoying whiner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 05:25 AM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 30,721,001 times
Reputation: 14583
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Actually they don't prove anything except that she lies.

Had she been charged with felony child neglect, they would have gotten a conviction. That was really the only thing they could prove based on the evidence they had.
No, NO ONE has a missing 2 year old and doesn't look for her EXEPT someone who either knows where the child is or knows she's dead!!! CA likes attention too much to forgo the attention she would have gotten as the mother of a missing toddler. The nature of her lies shows that she knew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 05:29 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No, NO ONE has a missing 2 year old and doesn't look for her EXEPT someone who either knows where the child is or knows she's dead!!! CA likes attention too much to forgo the attention she would have gotten as the mother of a missing toddler. The nature of her lies shows that she knew.
But that doesn't mean Casey killed her or had anything to actually do with her death. Do I think she somehow caused Caylee's death? Of course. Did the prosecution prove it to me? No. Big difference. If the charge had been felony child neglect based on Casey not properly supervising her child for 31 days, I would have convicted without a second thought. But that isn't what was charged.

You need to remove your emotion and look at the facts presented by the prosecution. None of them prove Casey killed Caylee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 06:33 AM
 
9,523 posts, read 4,864,327 times
Reputation: 3867
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
But that doesn't mean Casey killed her or had anything to actually do with her death. Do I think she somehow caused Caylee's death? Of course. Did the prosecution prove it to me? No. Big difference. If the charge had been felony child neglect based on Casey not properly supervising her child for 31 days, I would have convicted without a second thought. But that isn't what was charged.

You need to remove your emotion and look at the facts presented by the prosecution. None of them prove Casey killed Caylee.
Several lesser charges didn't require the state to prove Casey killed Caylee. For example,
CHILD ABUSE
827.03(1), Fla. Stat.
To prove the crime of Child Abuse, the State must prove the following two elements beyond a reasonable doubt:
1. Casey Marie Anthony
b. committed an intentional act that could reasonably be expected to result in physical or mental injury to Caylee Marie Anthony
2. The victim was under the age of eighteen years.

Using your own standard, not reporting that Caylee was missing, lying to police, was an intentional act[s] that could reasonably place Caylee at risk of physical or mental injury.

Aggravated child abuse, manslaughter, aggravated manslaughter also could fit your own standard. None require proof that Casey killed Caylee.

I don't know whether the jury thought the death penalty applied to those types of charges, skipped lesser charges altogether or didn't understand them, disliked George so much they actually Wanted to believe the drowning story, or what their problem was.

Anyone who says the state overcharged clearly isn't aware of all the lesser charges.

[It would be nice if we who think there was enough evidence to convict of murder weren't accused of being 'emotional' rather than factual. That's a little like saying you're stubborn, not open to the facts.]

Last edited by jazzarama; 08-08-2011 at 06:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 06:59 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Several lesser charges didn't require the state to prove Casey killed Caylee. For example,
CHILD ABUSE
827.03(1), Fla. Stat.
To prove the crime of Child Abuse, the State must prove the following two elements beyond a reasonable doubt:
1. Casey Marie Anthony
b. committed an intentional act that could reasonably be expected to result in physical or mental injury to Caylee Marie Anthony
2. The victim was under the age of eighteen years.

Using your own standard, not reporting that Caylee was missing, lying to police, was an intentional act[s] that could reasonably place Caylee at risk of physical or mental injury.
Nope, she didn't commit an intentional "act." The word "act" is used as a verb, it means she had to actually have an action. neglect is for inaction--which is what she was guilty of.

Quote:
Aggravated child abuse, manslaughter, aggravated manslaughter also could fit your own standard. None require proof that Casey killed Caylee.
Again they require an action. Casey was proved to be guilty only of inaction.

Quote:
I don't know whether the jury thought the death penalty applied to those types of charges, skipped lesser charges altogether or didn't understand them, disliked George so much they actually Wanted to believe the drowning story, or what their problem was.

Anyone who says the state overcharged clearly isn't aware of all the lesser charges.

[It would be nice if we who think there was enough evidence to convict of murder weren't accused of being 'emotional' rather than factual. That's a little like saying you're stubborn, not open to the facts.]
I read the entire list of charges, including lesser, there was nothing there that they could have convicted her of given the evidence put forth by the prosecution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 07:29 AM
 
3,173 posts, read 3,074,403 times
Reputation: 3699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I know. I'm surprised that she wasn't charged with that as it would have been a slam dunk conviction, but the DAs were incredibly arrogant in believing they had the murder conviction locked up.



Quote:
That's a very serious accusation there as if Baez presented that scenario knowing it was a lie then he broke major ethics rules that could result in him being disbarred.

You might want to make sure you can actually prove those accusations before you start flinging them around.
I might want to make sure I can actually PROVE those accusations???
before I start flinging them around?
Now I can identify with George and his "That is very funny" statements!
I am not standing up on national television accusing 2 people of being a child molester with no PROOF but I should have proof to say he is a liar?
Talk about somebody "flinging" things around.

This jury was lied to and there is no way they could have come up with a TRUE verdict because they actually tried to play by the rules.
YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO LIE IN A COURT OF LAW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 AM
 
9,523 posts, read 4,864,327 times
Reputation: 3867
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Nope, she didn't commit an intentional "act." The word "act" is used as a verb, it means she had to actually have an action. neglect is for inaction--which is what she was guilty of.



Again they require an action. Casey was proved to be guilty only of inaction.



I read the entire list of charges, including lesser, there was nothing there that they could have convicted her of given the evidence put forth by the prosecution.
Now you're arguing that lying about a kidnapping, providing false information, faking a search, are not Actions ?

Besides, if you read carefully the jury instructions, you'd know that culpable negligence can be an act OR omission, "consciously doing an act or following a course of conduct."

So, even with your misunderstanding of the word 'negligence,' Casey was negligent as you described in a prior post --- "If the charge had been felony child neglect based on Casey not properly supervising her child for 31 days, I would have convicted without a second thought. But that isn't what was charged."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2011, 08:05 AM
 
26,590 posts, read 54,565,311 times
Reputation: 13019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Now you're arguing that lying about a kidnapping, providing false information, faking a search, are not Actions ?
She lied, and was convicted of lying. Sorry, on those charges yes I would absolutely have found her guilty.

Quote:
Besides, if you read carefully the jury instructions, you'd know that culpable negligence can be an act OR omission, "consciously doing an act or following a course of conduct."

So, even with your misunderstanding of the word 'negligence,' Casey was negligent as you described in a prior post --- "If the charge had been felony child neglect based on Casey not properly supervising her child for 31 days, I would have convicted without a second thought. But that isn't what was charged."
I disagree with your opinion, and obviously so did the jury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top