U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 06:42 PM

13,930 posts, read 19,215,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You and probably the jurors didn't read far enough down in the jury instructions to reach the Child Abuse charge--- it's between ATTEMPT TO COMMIT CRIME and PLEA OF NOT GUILTY; REASONABLE DOUBT; AND BURDEN OF PROOF.
My mistake. I mixed up "Child Neglect" as that...not Child Abuse"...would have been the charge had they wanted to go after her for the drowning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,813,649 times
Honestly, I think the hubris and egos of the prosecution team dropped the ball here. It never should have been a death penalty case, thay tried to go for gold, and ended up with egg on their faces. They should have focused on lessor charges that were easier to make a case for, kid is dead, Mother responsible for welfare of child, gross child neglect. Negligence.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 PM

9,917 posts, read 9,329,221 times
Apparently someone hacked Casey's Slide account or she is posting on it. No post at all since 2007 and new slides have been put up starting July 28, 2011. She always used caseyomarie for her web accounts. The one picture on July 29 says she is in Carlsbad CA.

Slide

Today was Caylee's 6th birthday.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:04 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,634,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Honestly, I think the hubris and egos of the prosecution team dropped the ball here. It never should have been a death penalty case, thay tried to go for gold, and ended up with egg on their faces. They should have focused on lessor charges that were easier to make a case for, kid is dead, Mother responsible for welfare of child, gross child neglect. Negligence.
Exactly, if people would actually look up the FL Statute numbers (she was charged with 782.07(3) and 827.03(3) , the lesser felonies and read them , no other conclusion could be drawn. Doesn't even say it has to be wilfull, just culpable negligence.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...SgefyA&cad=rja

827.03(3) Not only does it say a caregiver should provide food , shelter, clothing, etc. it specifically addresses a caregiver's failure or omission to provide medical services (sounds to me like if she doesn't call 911 upon discovery of the alleged drowning that's an epic fail) cut and dried, plain as day and considering the circumstances 30 years in prison.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:13 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,822,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Apparently someone hacked Casey's Slide account or she is posting on it. No post at all since 2007 and new slides have been put up starting July 28, 2011. She always used caseyomarie for her web accounts. The one picture on July 29 says she is in Carlsbad CA.

Slide

Today was Caylee's 6th birthday.
more trash for cash. They have "people" from her defense posting that crap....sad, very sad.

lol in that one posters ID is jacktorrance- serial killer in the shining/steven king. More smoke and mirrors to make a cheap buck.

poor caylee......

Old 08-10-2011, 01:09 AM

13,930 posts, read 19,215,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Exactly, if people would actually look up the FL Statute numbers (she was charged with 782.07(3) and 827.03(3) , the lesser felonies and read them , no other conclusion could be drawn. Doesn't even say it has to be wilfull, just culpable negligence.
Culpable negligence is actually above gross negligence, so that was a long shot too.

Quote:
"The term culpable negligence should be construed to mean a negligence of a higher degree than that which in civil cases is held to be gross negligence, and must be a negligence of a degree so gross as to be tantamount to a wanton disregard of, or utter indifference to, the safety of human life." [Smith v. State, 197 Miss. 802 (Miss. 1945)]

Old 08-10-2011, 05:11 AM

9,572 posts, read 4,895,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...SgefyA&cad=rja

827.03(3) Not only does it say a caregiver should provide food , shelter, clothing, etc. it specifically addresses a caregiver's failure or omission to provide medical services (sounds to me like if she doesn't call 911 upon discovery of the alleged drowning that's an epic fail) cut and dried, plain as day and considering the circumstances 30 years in prison.
To convict of child neglect, the State must prove Casey committed the crime charged. Considering the State didn't know of and then rejected the drowning theory, and we heard Ford say she didn't know if a drowning happened, and a supposed witness to the drowning denied it happened, the jury wouldn't have convicted of neglect.

Next thing you know, we'll have suggestions that the state should have charged George Anthony with child neglect and used Casey as a witness.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:20 AM

9,572 posts, read 4,895,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
kid is dead . Mother responsible for welfare of child . gross child neglect.

Connecting those dots, we'd have lots of parents in prison for accidents, simple negligence. Bad dot connecting.

You sound like juror Ford did in her interview. That the Only charge was 1st degree murder, death penalty. The charges went as low as ATTEMPT TO COMMIT CHILD ABUSE.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:24 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,969,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
There is a charge......"abuse of a corpse" or something like that.....but just like everything else in this case......they didn't "prove" Casey was the one who disposed of the body.

Case in point: some people think George may have disposed of the body.....so who are you going to charge and you can't prove which one did it.

Personally.....I don't think George had anything to do with it......I found his testimony more believable than Cindy's or Lee's.....except about having sex with that woman. I think a lot of people mistook the animosity and sniping between George and Baez as dishonesty on George's part. George was really pissed at Baez {and I don't blame him} and it affected the tone, but not the accuracy, of his testimony, IMHO.
Was George asked in court while testifying if Caylee died in the swimming pool? If so, what did he say?

Old 08-10-2011, 12:28 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,969,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I know. I'm surprised that she wasn't charged with that as it would have been a slam dunk conviction, but the DAs were incredibly arrogant in believing they had the murder conviction locked up.
Since the drowning allegation was first brought up by the defense while this case was in trial, could the prosecution have added the charge of "abusing a corpse" to the current trial or would it have to be a separate charge after the trial?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or