Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:27 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,466,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Doubtful. The jury would almost certainly have given her the conviction as she would have gone along with if not outright assisted in dumping the body.
To convict her of improper disposal of a body the jury would have to believe the state proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Caylee drowned and Casey disposed of the body. There's no reason to believe 12 jurors accepted the allegation that Caylee drowned.

Interesting, the state couldn't prove murder or manslaughter, now some think she could have been convicted on charges based on what her lawyer said in opening statements. Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 05:45 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,848,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Hard to convict her on something she wasn't charged with.
Child abuse was one of the charges.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
77% of Orlando disagrees with the jury's findings. (Unfortunately, it was the jury's findings that mattered ...)
First of all, please cite when you post things like this. Next, most people I know (who live in Orlando like I do) feel the same way I do. The prosecutor overcharged and while I feel she's guilty of somehow causing her child's death, I wouldn't have been able to convict her based on the chrages and evidence presented.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
It wouldn't matter whether Caylee drowned or not as far as an abuse of a corpse charge. The way the body was disposed of qualifies as abuse of a corpse in most states, no matter how she died.

Here in Ohio, I think the max for abusing a corpse in only one year anyway, couldn't find anything about Florida when I looked.

Since the jury found her not guilty of murder, I think they would also have found her not guilty of abuse of a corpse too.
But to get her on abuse of a corpse, you'd have to prove she ever handled the corpse. No one ever saw her with the corpse, and the forensic evidence was inconclusive.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,197,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
First of all, please cite when you post things like this. Next, most people I know (who live in Orlando like I do) feel the same way I do. The prosecutor overcharged and while I feel she's guilty of somehow causing her child's death, I wouldn't have been able to convict her based on the chrages and evidence presented.
See GloryB's #30 post in this thread and your own response to that post, #31.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:41 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,414,606 times
Quote:
But to get her on abuse of a corpse, you'd have to prove she ever handled the corpse. No one ever saw her with the corpse, and the forensic evidence was inconclusive.
You'd have to prove she knew Caylee was dead and not buried properly. Since there was no funeral for Caylee, one can assume she knew how the body was disposed of and approved since she didn't report her daughter's death or have her burried properly. We also know the body was in her car.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:42 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,466,854 times
Quote:
I don't understand this idea that the state 'overcharged.' The charges went down as low as ATTEMPT to commit child abuse.

What charge could you have convicted her of based on the evidence ?

Old 08-11-2011, 12:50 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,926,345 times
A tad late for this report ... the Florida Department of Children & Families finally completed their 3 year report on the death of Caylee Anthony. The factual findings by DCF ... a legal document attached to this post.

This was not a criminal investigation. The conclusions were submitted to the Orange County Sheriff's Office, but they will not result in any charges against Casey Anthony.

The child-protection agency routinely investigates child deaths. In this case, the agency investigated Caylee's death after it received allegations of "abuse at the hands of Casey Anthony," the report shows.

The nearly three year investigation verified three allegations classified as "maltreatments," including death, failure to protect and threatened harm.

The DCF Report:
PDF Documents From WFTV Eyewitness News Orlando

The Orlando Sentinel article:
Casey Anthony DCF: DCF report shows Casey Anthony failed to protect Caylee - OrlandoSentinel.com

Personally, I doubt even with this report in hand the Pinellas 12 would have been more concerned with what the 'dessert lady' had for them that day!

Old 08-11-2011, 02:12 PM

14,561 posts, read 22,973,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Personally, I doubt even with this report in hand the Pinellas 12 would have been more concerned with what the 'dessert lady' had for them that day!
Do you think that might have something to do with the fact that this report is worth less than the paper it's printed in? Hell, their big conclusions are that Caylee is dead (no ****) and that Casey was neglectful in allowing that to happen, both of which were easily ascertained from the trial and practically conceded by the defense.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
You'd have to prove she knew Caylee was dead and not buried properly. Since there was no funeral for Caylee, one can assume she knew how the body was disposed of and approved since she didn't report her daughter's death or have her burried properly. We also know the body was in her car.
Actually the forensics went both ways on the body being in the car. Do I think it was, yes. But did the prosecutor prove it, maybe not.

There was no proof that she knew Caylee was dead until she was told that the body had been found while she was in jail months later.

On a side note, I can't believe that Caylee's grandparents didn't give that little girl's remains a burial. Or maybe they did so very quietly and privately? I wonder where the remains are. Anyone know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime