Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 12:33 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
This jury was lied to and there is no way they could have come up with a TRUE verdict because they actually tried to play by the rules.
YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSE TO LIE IN A COURT OF LAW.
I agree they were lied to.

Defense attorneys often lie when defending clients and the ones that have more "standards" just shush their client and tell the client, "I don't want to KNOW if you did it ... I don't want to know anything about that ..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 12:35 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Was George asked in court while testifying if Caylee died in the swimming pool? If so, what did he say?
Yes he was, he denied knowing anything about Caylee drowning or the disposal of her body........and I believe him.

George Anthony Denies Caylee Drowned, Molesting Daughter - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando

Old 08-10-2011, 12:35 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
She lied, and was convicted of lying. Sorry, on those charges yes I would absolutely have found her guilty.

I disagree with your opinion, and obviously so did the jury.
77% of Orlando disagrees with the jury's findings. (Unfortunately, it was the jury's findings that mattered ...)

Old 08-10-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Since the drowning allegation was first brought up by the defense while this case was in trial, could the prosecution have added the charge of "abusing a corpse" to the current trial or would it have to be a separate charge after the trial?
It wouldn't matter whether Caylee drowned or not as far as an abuse of a corpse charge. The way the body was disposed of qualifies as abuse of a corpse in most states, no matter how she died.

Here in Ohio, I think the max for abusing a corpse in only one year anyway, couldn't find anything about Florida when I looked.

Since the jury found her not guilty of murder, I think they would also have found her not guilty of abuse of a corpse too.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:57 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Since the drowning allegation was first brought up by the defense while this case was in trial, could the prosecution have added the charge of "abusing a corpse" to the current trial or would it have to be a separate charge after the trial?
Excellent question. I believe (but not certain) that they could ask the judge to add the charge and it would be up to his discretion whether to allow it. They could not try her on that charge as a separate trial though as it would violate the double jeopardy clause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Since the jury found her not guilty of murder, I think they would also have found her not guilty of abuse of a corpse too.
I can almost guarantee you that she would have been found guilty of that charge had they thrown it at her. It's almost indisputable.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
I doubt that, Baez would have pinned the corpse disposal on George too. And Casey still walks.

I still think any reasonable person has to conclude that if a child is dead, and the Mother was aware of the death, that she has a duty to report, even an accident.

Reminds me or a horrific case of child rape and murder in Vegas, one person just watched the whole crime, did not report it or get help, or try to stop it, did not even leave. He was not charged with anything...no laws on this issue, because no one could believe anyone would be that sick and wrong. There is now a law in Nevada, making it a crime to not report witnessing a violent act on a child.

Crazy! Like there needs to be a law for common sense and decency?!

Old 08-10-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Crazy! Like there needs to be a law for common sense and decency?!
I agree, pitiful isn't it?

Old 08-10-2011, 01:42 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,062,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I doubt that, Baez would have pinned the corpse disposal on George too. And Casey still walks.
Doubtful. The jury would almost certainly have given her the conviction as she would have gone along with if not outright assisted in dumping the body.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:51 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Doubtful. The jury would almost certainly have given her the conviction as she would have gone along with if not outright assisted in dumping the body.
Yup. At the very least, she lied to cover it up and did nothing to correct the situation. She's, at least, guilty of aiding and abetting.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:20 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
Who dumped the body in the swamp on Suburban Drive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime