U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2011, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Ohio
13,900 posts, read 10,786,494 times
Reputation: 7242

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Then lets throw in the wild goose chases, partying, garbage bag in swamp, internet searches, etc. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to connect the dots.
.

To be fair, these have been de-bunked and false. There weren't 84 searches as said by the prosecutution. Doesn't change the fact that it WAS searched atleast once though. And the fact that there was chloroform found in the trunk.

Really, any discussion about this trial is a moot point because based on the fact that there wasn't actualy 84 searches, even if she had been convicted there would have been a new trial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-28-2011, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Native Floridian, USA
4,904 posts, read 6,118,463 times
Reputation: 6110
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Well, the mother said the child drowned and the grandfather was there. Had this happened, why didn't the mother come forward and tell the story during the months she was in jail? Why didn't ANYONE tell the story? The grandfather said he wasn't there and didn't know anything about it.

Why would the mother keep a drowning a secret or LIE about how her child died ....unless she had something to hide.

To me, that is circumstantial enough.

Then lets throw in the wild goose chases, partying, garbage bag in swamp, internet searches, etc. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to connect the dots.

If someone is unable to do this or still doesn't get it....then you are welcome to your opinion. Hiding behind the constitution though, is a real stretch. The constitution does not call us to stupidity. If I had been on the jury, they would either still be there deliberating or they could call a mistrial and start again. I would NOT have caved in because to me....THAT would be the real constitutional tragedy.
Hear ! hear ! well said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 07:54 PM
 
18,852 posts, read 31,717,452 times
Reputation: 26118
It would be interesting to compare the level of education between the Scott Peterson jurors and the Casey Anthony jurors. I think Casey lucked out that she lives in "Flor-duh".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
1,545 posts, read 2,286,669 times
Reputation: 1338
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post



I take it your not one of them.
Only vaguely knew the name until the verdicts came out riling up the Couch Potato Brigade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 09:55 PM
 
9,912 posts, read 9,304,041 times
Reputation: 8053
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
As a lawyer who has practiced law for 27 years let me make one clear unequivocal statement:

The double jeopardy clause of the US Constitution prevents Casey Anthony for ever being tried for the murder of her child again, NO MATTER WHAT..

Double Jeopardy Clause
I understand the Double Jeopardy clause in our constitution. I realized this was it ... not guilty ... Casey Anthony can never be tried again for the murder of her daughter Caylee Marie Anthony. Yes, civil lawsuits can be filed and that has happened.

There is a guy with a petition on the Change.org website. Thus far the petition has over 47k signatures.

Petition: United States Attorney General: Try Casey Anthony in Federal Court | Change.org

He is petitioning Eric Holder, US Attorney General, requesting federal prosecution of Casey Anthony pursuant to the “Petite Policy”. The guy that started the petition also has a Facebook account with more info.

Are you familiar with the Petite Policy? It doesn't appear to apply to the Anthony case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2011, 10:35 PM
 
9,194 posts, read 9,273,624 times
Reputation: 28807
Quote:
I understand the Double Jeopardy clause in our constitution. I realized this was it ... not guilty ... Casey Anthony can never be tried again for the murder of her daughter Caylee Marie Anthony. Yes, civil lawsuits can be filed and that has happened.

There is a guy with a petition on the Change.org website. Thus far the petition has over 47k signatures.

Petition: United States Attorney General: Try Casey Anthony in Federal Court | Change.org

He is petitioning Eric Holder, US Attorney General, requesting federal prosecution of Casey Anthony pursuant to the “Petite Policy”. The guy that started the petition also has a Facebook account with more info.

Are you familiar with the Petite Policy? It doesn't appear to apply to the Anthony case.
In order for Casey Anthony to be prosecuted in federal court, she would have to commit some act that would give the federal courts jurisdiction. If this crime had racial implications or met some other criteria under the Civil Rights Act, federal prosecution would be possible for violating Caylee Anthony's civil rights. That is not present in this case and is a blind alley.

When our Founding Fathers drafted the Constitution they fully intended to leave matters like this in the hands of state courts.

The federal courts do not have jurisdiction under the US Constitution over ordinary crimes that do not occur on a federal reservation.

The guy who drafted this Petition doesn't know what he is talking about. The fact that he has collected 74,000 signatures speaks to abysmally poor knowledge that the average American has of our Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 04:52 AM
 
3,173 posts, read 3,076,304 times
Reputation: 3699
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
In order for Casey Anthony to be prosecuted in federal court, she would have to commit some act that would give the federal courts jurisdiction. If this crime had racial implications or met some other criteria under the Civil Rights Act, federal prosecution would be possible for violating Caylee Anthony's civil rights. That is not present in this case and is a blind alley.

When our Founding Fathers drafted the Constitution they fully intended to leave matters like this in the hands of state courts.

The federal courts do not have jurisdiction under the US Constitution over ordinary crimes that do not occur on a federal reservation.

The guy who drafted this Petition doesn't know what he is talking about. The fact that he has collected 74,000 signatures speaks to abysmally poor knowledge that the average American has of our Constitution.
Our "Founding Fathers" didn't live in the days of child killers getting off because of stupid lazy jurors. They are probably turning over in their graves.
Caylee Anthony, almost 3 years old. A little girl that loved her life, her body was found by the side of the road in a swamp. She was stuffed into 2 black garbage bags and left there to rot. Her friends and family were told she was having a good time playing with other children and enjoying fun attractions while her mother partied, stole from her friends, slept with her boyfriend and got a tattoo celebrating her beautiful life.
Caylee Anthony received no justice because jurors didn't want to spend the time sifting through the lies.
Animals carried her bones away and she laid with rattlesnakes.
What do you think the founding fathers would have to say about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 06:25 AM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,744,351 times
Reputation: 16599
I assure you there were child murderers during the founding fathers' time. I also assure you there were people in that time who believed a woman could not commit this sort of crime. I think Anthony would have gotten off even easier during the founding fathers' time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 09:58 AM
 
48,516 posts, read 83,932,349 times
Reputation: 18050
I really doubt that with just based on the actions of the mother and public views then verus now. She may eve have beeen put to death whether she actually intentionally murder her daughter or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 10:17 AM
 
4,532 posts, read 5,109,879 times
Reputation: 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I really doubt that with just based on the actions of the mother and public views then verus now. She may eve have beeen put to death whether she actually intentionally murder her daughter or not.
you are accurate--years ago ther would be less getting away with murder and less time outting trials off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top