U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2011, 10:18 AM
 
4,532 posts, read 5,121,584 times
Reputation: 3983

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I assure you there were child murderers during the founding fathers' time. I also assure you there were people in that time who believed a woman could not commit this sort of crime. I think Anthony would have gotten off even easier during the founding fathers' time.
really?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-29-2011, 12:36 PM
 
9,917 posts, read 9,321,799 times
Reputation: 8058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I assure you there were child murderers during the founding fathers' time. I also assure you there were people in that time who believed a woman could not commit this sort of crime. I think Anthony would have gotten off even easier during the founding fathers' time.
I doubt that ... they burned the Salem witches. Females had no rights back then and if this had happened, applicable to the times, Casey Anthony would have burned or faced hanging.

They didn't have years of appeals nor the media/electronic blitzes we have today. When the crime was committed they took care of the punishment immediately. I wouldn't want to face a Puritan or Separatist judge and jury.

I do agree with one thing from the colonial days ... public hangings ... these people that molest children, murder children need to receive an immediate trial ... not several years down the road. Punishment should be harsh. If we would have an immediate public hanging of people that molest/kill/maim children perhaps some of these horrors children face would stop.

The guy in Louisiana that cut his young son's head off ... hang him now.

The neighbor in Missouri that killed Breeann ... hang him now.

Two year old Addison Lanham died July 21. She had a broken leg that had been left untreated for one to two weeks. She had been sexually molested. Hang her mother & the registered sex offender boyfriend.

People say ... oh the inmates at the prison take care of molesters and sex offenders ... that is so lame. The justice system not prisoners should take care of any person, male or female, that harms little children. They cannot defend themselves and are totally at the mercy of evil adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 01:17 PM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,799,235 times
Reputation: 16599
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I really doubt that with just based on the actions of the mother and public views then verus now. She may eve have beeen put to death whether she actually intentionally murder her daughter or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
you are accurate--years ago ther would be less getting away with murder and less time outting trials off
We will have to agree to disagree. I'm basing my opinion on what I know of criminal history as it pertains to women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 01:21 PM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,799,235 times
Reputation: 16599
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
really?????

Yes. Really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 02:33 PM
 
4,532 posts, read 5,121,584 times
Reputation: 3983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
We will have to agree to disagree. I'm basing my opinion on what I know of criminal history as it pertains to women.
we do disagree on how women were handled if accused of a crime--they certainly did NOT have more leniency in anything years ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Old Town Alexandria
14,505 posts, read 23,809,357 times
Reputation: 8838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
As I have said before......that story did not come from Baez.

If Baez was going to make up a story about drowning.....he would not have been stupid enough to throw George into the mix.....why put a witness at the scene who can deny the story?

If Baez had made up the drowning story, he would have painted a picture of a scared, naive, traumatized young mother who was all alone when her child drowned and just panicked.....that story would have been believable, IMHO.

Does anyone here really believe that a man in his fifties, an ex police officer to boot.....would panic and try to cover up a drowning and toss a corpse willy nilly right off of a well traveled road?
ridiculous story...but apparently that particular jury was swayed by Baez hook line and sinker...he was just doing his job, they were clearly a group of idiots with no critical thinking skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-29-2011, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Ohio
13,900 posts, read 10,812,414 times
Reputation: 7242
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I understand the Double Jeopardy clause in our constitution. I realized this was it ... not guilty ... Casey Anthony can never be tried again for the murder of her daughter Caylee Marie Anthony. Yes, civil lawsuits can be filed and that has happened.

There is a guy with a petition on the Change.org website. Thus far the petition has over 47k signatures.

He is petitioning Eric Holder, US Attorney General, requesting federal prosecution of Casey Anthony pursuant to the “Petite Policy”. The guy that started the petition also has a Facebook account with more info.

Are you familiar with the Petite Policy? It doesn't appear to apply to the Anthony case.
What a slippery slope that would be if it were to succeed. Lets hope for our rights sake, that it doesn't.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
.
The guy who drafted this Petition doesn't know what he is talking about. The fact that he has collected 74,000 signatures speaks to abysmally poor knowledge that the average American has of our Constitution.[/quote]
You can say that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
Our "Founding Fathers" didn't live in the days of child killers getting off because of stupid lazy jurors. They are probably turning over in their graves.
Caylee Anthony, almost 3 years old. A little girl that loved her life, her body was found by the side of the road in a swamp. She was stuffed into 2 black garbage bags and left there to rot. Her friends and family were told she was having a good time playing with other children and enjoying fun attractions while her mother partied, stole from her friends, slept with her boyfriend and got a tattoo celebrating her beautiful life.
Caylee Anthony received no justice because jurors didn't want to spend the time sifting through the lies.
Animals carried her bones away and she laid with rattlesnakes.
What do you think the founding fathers would have to say about that?
This post was clearly derived out of pure emotion, not logic, reason, and a respect for the rights gauranteed each one of us by the constitution. The Jury has spoken! You don't have to like it, I dont like it, but its done and thats the way it should stay. Get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 04:48 AM
 
3,173 posts, read 3,083,322 times
Reputation: 3699
[quote=WhipperSnapper 88;20662167]What a slippery slope that would be if it were to succeed. Lets hope for our rights sake, that it doesn't.

Quote:


You can say that again.



This post was clearly derived out of pure emotion, not logic, reason, and a respect for the rights gauranteed each one of us by the constitution. The Jury has spoken! You don't have to like it, I dont like it, but its done and thats the way it should stay. Get over it.
You get over the fact that there are people out here that actually care about this little girl and what happened to her.
Don't tell us to "get over it". We aren't going to. You get over that.

Last edited by mag32gie; 08-30-2011 at 05:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 06:25 AM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,799,235 times
Reputation: 16599
[quote=mag32gie;20666579]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
What a slippery slope that would be if it were to succeed. Lets hope for our rights sake, that it doesn't.



You get over the fact that there are people out here that actually care about this little girl and what happened to her.
Don't tell us to "get over it". We aren't going to. You get over that.
JOOC, what are you currently doing to help children that are still alive and being abused? Caylee is dead. She doesn't need your help anymore. There are live children that do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 AM
 
9,239 posts, read 9,310,539 times
Reputation: 28966
Quote:
You can say that again.



This post was clearly derived out of pure emotion, not logic, reason, and a respect for the rights gauranteed each one of us by the constitution. The Jury has spoken! You don't have to like it, I dont like it, but its done and thats the way it should stay. Get over it.
I have come to dislike most conversations about criminal justice precisely because they are primarily about "gut reactions" instead of presenting intelligent and rational discourse on what is a complex subject. Some crimes are very emotional and admittedly it can be hard to keep a "clear head" about them. I think individuals are entitled to have feelings. What I disagree with is the notion that those "feelings" and those "emotions" ought to be the basis for a legal system. Anyone who doubts me ought to take a look at the number of posts on the Casey Anthony case and compare that with the number of posts on deep topics like "prosecutorial discretion" (one I tried to start) or the Miranda Rule. Emotions win hands down on this group when it comes to discussing anything.

The Founding Fathers were very concerned about a strong government that could take away the rights of ordinary people because they lived through this when the American colonies were part of the British Empire. They put provisions in our Bill of Rights that protected us from things like "unreasonable searches and seizures", a denial of the "due process of law", having to testify against ourselves in court, gave us a right to a jury trial in criminal cases, gave us the right to have an attorney to represent us in criminal cases, and protected us from "cruel and unusual punishments". I feel strongly about this among other reasons because I actually have family that died defending our country and our system in the military. I think, deep down, many people want these rights for themselves, but they don't want others--especially the "riff raff"--to have them. When the "riff raff" claim them, than they get up in arms and blame "greedy lawyers" and "soft-headed liberal judges".

Our system attempts to strike a balance that gives our government the power to deal with lawbreakers, yet does so without taking away all our liberties. Anyone who has studied history knows this is an age-old problem. Systems never get anything perfectly. Its simply in their nature. I would submit the jury system determines guilt or innocence accurately in 98% of all criminal cases.

On another note: Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised. Americans have really become a nation of whiners. I bet the same people who want to cut their taxes are the same ones complaining about the outcome in this case. "We want the system to be perfect, but we don't want to pay for it". Look around this country. There are police departments laying off scores of officers and not replacing the ones who have retired because their citizens won't allow them to raise any taxes. Responsible people wouldn't allow this. However, the average American these days is anything, but "responsible".

Last edited by markg91359; 08-30-2011 at 07:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top