U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 02:16 PM

13,943 posts, read 19,176,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
[/u][/i][/b]

No problem. If you listen to the jury instruction, and then listen to the questions asked while they are poleing the jury, you will see and understand that a juror is supposed to come to their decision of their own free will and that a verdict is supposed to be a true and accurate account of EVERY juror's decision. If there was a juror that said
'O.K., whatever you all want." Because He knew he wasn't going to convince us." does that sound as if he came to a "not guilty" verdict of his own free will? Or at the very least, does it sound like this verdict was a true and accurate account of what HE felt about this case? I think not. He was lazy and didn't feel like arguing the point so he just went along with everyone else because he wanted to get the hell outa there.

Your rebuttal?

{oh man, ive been watching too much court tv lol }
Swing and a miss. Quoting a section meant to forbid intimidation and coercision is not applicable to this situation. The decision was his free will and a reflection of every juror's decision. While you can take issue with his basis for the decision, this is another example of how making absolute, emotionally charged statements will backfire on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 02:40 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,923,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Swing and a miss. Quoting a section meant to forbid intimidation and coercision is not applicable to this situation. The decision was his free will and a reflection of every juror's decision. While you can take issue with his basis for the decision, this is another example of how making absolute, emotionally charged statements will backfire on you.
Is this another word game you are playing?

The basis for his decision had nothing to do with the actual case or evidence presented.

It had to do with the other jurors and what he felt they believed, not with anything he personally decided about the case itself. Do you consider that a valid basis for his decision?

Old 08-24-2011, 02:53 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,800,580 times
Quote:
Nice try but Wrong again!

This has nothing to do with intimidation and coercision. A juror is supposed to base their decision on the evidence presented in open court, nothing else and that is the law. Are you being willfuly ignorant or do you just have a hard time admitting when your wrong? His decision was apparently not formed on any evidence that was presented in court, but rather, it was based on the fact that He knew he wasn't going to convince us.", hence jury misconduct.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The basis for his decision had nothing to do with the actual case or evidence presented. It had to do with the other jurors and what he felt they believed, not with anything he personally decided about the case.
None of which equates to misconduct.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:

This has nothing to do with intimidation and coercision. A juror is supposed to base their decision on the evidence presented in open court, nothing else. Are you being willfuly ignorant or do you just have a hard time admitting when your wrong?
I think you better quit watching CourtTV and pick up a law book. Let's go back to your quote.

Quote:
you will see and understand that a juror is supposed to come to their decision of their own free will and that a verdict is supposed to be a true and accurate account of EVERY juror's decision
Free will - The juror made the decision himself without improper outside influence. This requirement has been satisfied.

True and accurate account - The verdict reflects his vote of not guilty. This requirement has also been satisfied.

You have no logical or legal grounds to claim jury misconduct. That is not even debatable.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:58 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,771,458 times
Quote:

This has nothing to do with intimidation and coercision. A juror is supposed to base their decision on the evidence presented in open court, nothing else. Are you being willfuly ignorant or do you just have a hard time admitting when your wrong?
AND deliberations with other jurors....If we didn't intend deliberations to be part of the process, we wouldn't have them. We'd just take a vote when the trial was done.

If this juror did not have convictions strong enough to stand up to the other 11 then he didn't have strong enough convictions to stand up to the other 11. There are 12 jurors for a reason.

I'm not saying he's right but he has the right to base the decision on both what goes on in the courtroom and deliberations. It sounds like it took deliberations to sway his vote.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
AND deliberations with other jurors....If we didn't intend deliberations to be part of the process, we wouldn't have them. We'd just take a vote when the trial was done.

If this juror did not have convictions strong enough to stand up to the other 11 then he didn't have strong enough convictions to stand up to the other 11. There are 12 jurors for a reason.

I'm not saying he's right but he has the right to base the decision on both what goes on in the courtroom and deliberations. It sounds like it took deliberations to sway his vote.
Good post and sums it up, especially the part in bold.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:03 PM

9,917 posts, read 9,313,625 times
Quote:

He likes to control and end the Casey Anthony threads by his useless and dumb arguments.

I think he works for Baez or Mason or dates Fryer or is kin to the family.

The people spoke with Casey being the Most Hated Person In America. Yes the jury did what they felt was their job. But American Justice suffered that day. Justice was not served for the victim Caylee Marie Anthony.

I think the weaker members of the jury did cave. "Whatever" says it all.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:06 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,800,580 times
Quote:
I think you better quit watching CourtTV and pick up a law book. Let's go back to your quote.

Free will - The juror made the decision himself without improper outside influence. This requirement has been satisfied.

True and accurate account - The verdict reflects his vote of not guilty. This requirement has also been satisfied.

You have no logical or legal grounds to claim jury misconduct. That is not even debatable.
Ah but it is you who had better school yourself on the law. The juror is supposed to base their decisions on the evidence presented, and the deliberations ABOUT that evidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

Yes but he didn't give in because the other 11 convinced him that she was not guilty, he gave in because, again, He knew he wasn't going to convince us." You had better learn a little about the law before trying to debate it.

Old 08-24-2011, 03:09 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,771,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
He likes to control and end the Casey Anthony threads by his useless and dumb arguments.

I think he works for Baez or Mason or dates Fryer or is kin to the family.

The people spoke with Casey being the Most Hated Person In America. Yes the jury did what they felt was their job. But American Justice suffered that day. Justice was not served for the victim Caylee Marie Anthony.

I think the weaker members of the jury did cave. "Whatever" says it all.
The weaker members usually do. This is why we have a dozen jurors.

I'm not really sure why this jury came back with the verdict they did but they did. 11 of them came back with not guilty immediately. Unfortunately, our input wasn't limited to just what was presented in court and how it was presented as theirs was. Perhaps we would have found ourselves unable to convict as well. We just don't know. I'm shocked it was only one voting to convict but it is what it is. This is our system and we have to live with it. I do think justice was not done but this is no worse than OJ's trial. My hope is they can find other chages that they can make stick. Perhaps civil charges. Hopefully, they can, at least, prevent her from profiting from her daughter's death.

As to the jurors, we need to leave them alone. Whether we agree or not, they did the job they were brought in to do. If you think Casey got away with murder, then push for law enforcement to come up with more charges. Given that her daughter is dead, there ought to be something they can make stick. No one gains anything by going after the jurors now, though I really would love to hear their explanation for letting her walk on manslaughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime