U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2011, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Ohio
13,900 posts, read 10,781,939 times
Reputation: 7242

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
While the STATE case cannot be overturned, a homicide case can be pursued in US Federal Court. According to the US Attorney’s Office at the Middle District of Florida they would need to receive the case information from the FBI in order to determine if they have a viable homicide case against Casey Anthony.

Updated post
So then,
the case you've posted had sufficent evidence by the prosecution to support first degree murder and a jury of clowns, you're now going to back pedal on? I'm surprised.
I'm not back peddaling on anything. Where did I say there wasn't enough evidence? In my Opinion, The prosecution DID have sufficiemt evidence, certainly enough for a conviction. However, that "jury of clowns" { your words, not mine } did not convict and that is that. The law says that that is the end of it, so it should be.

Me not supporting the possibility of another trial has nothing to do with wether or not I think there was enough evidence to convict the first time around.

 
Old 09-30-2011, 10:15 PM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,085 posts, read 23,883,960 times
Reputation: 17982
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Not based on evidence or law, or appeal, but on the fact that someone started a petition. Would anyone support it then?


Lets say there was another trial in Federal Court (hypothetically), it would certainly be based on evidence.
 
Old 09-30-2011, 10:31 PM
 
18,852 posts, read 31,703,820 times
Reputation: 26114
I definitely support that CA spends the maximum amount of time in any court and any jail, under any charge they can possibly find on her. I don't care if it is as lame as stealing Internet off a neighbor. Any lame ass charge they can find, to make stick.
 
Old 09-30-2011, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,929 posts, read 19,142,988 times
Reputation: 9155
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post


You're right, but thats not what Annie53 posted. So, my link confirms what she posted.
Actually she did make it sound like they were actively pursuing the test.

Quote:
The one young man who did die in a car accident.....had told his family that he had a daughter.....yet, that family made no effort to find her when he died. They never hired a private detective to track down their "most beloved" grandchild....did they?

But now that they may be able to cash in.....all of a sudden they are coming forward and asking for a paternity test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
While the STATE case cannot be overturned, a homicide case can be pursued in US Federal Court. According to the US Attorney’s Office at the Middle District of Florida they would need to receive the case information from the FBI in order to determine if they have a viable homicide case against Casey Anthony.
As Whipper pointed out, the feds don't have jurisdiction in this case since this crime occurred completely within the state of Florida.
 
Old 10-01-2011, 01:11 AM
 
18,852 posts, read 31,703,820 times
Reputation: 26114
But CA did lie to federal agents, and she can be charged with that.
 
Old 10-01-2011, 08:13 AM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,734,845 times
Reputation: 16599
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
There is a reason for that, there are no grounds to file in federal court. The judicial system is specificly set up so that state courts can take care of these matters.

Another thing with these petitions. The fact hat people start them shows how ignorant they are about the judicial system. It doesn't run on a basis of want or demand, so people can sign it all they want to but it is and will always remain a symbolic gesture. There are a specific set of laws in place and if the law isn't there to back a charge up, it just isn't, no matter how much people want it or demand it to be.
Thank you!!!

 
Old 10-01-2011, 08:18 AM
 
28,206 posts, read 20,734,845 times
Reputation: 16599
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
But CA did lie to federal agents, and she can be charged with that.
She can be, but I doubt it will happen.

As far as the dual sovereignty clause so many like to refer to, I like this guy's take on it:

Casey Anthony Haters Urge Federal Charges In Caylee Anthony's Death Under Dual Sovereinty Doctrine But Don't Grok Federal Law | Popehat
 
Old 10-01-2011, 10:14 AM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,085 posts, read 23,883,960 times
Reputation: 17982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Actually she did make it sound like they were actively pursuing the test.

As Whipper pointed out, the feds don't have jurisdiction in this case since this crime occurred completely within the state of Florida.
Posts can easily be misinterpreted, happens all time. No inflection, as with face to face dialog. I took the post for exactly what it said, and is correct.

So, the link for petition would be bogus?

Last edited by virgode; 10-01-2011 at 10:39 AM..
 
Old 10-01-2011, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Ohio
13,900 posts, read 10,781,939 times
Reputation: 7242
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Lets say there was another trial in Federal Court (hypothetically), it would certainly be based on evidence.
Your absolutely right and my point is, IF there is another trial in federal court (hypothetically), it won't be because some ignoramous started a petition. All the signatures in the country wouldn't persuade the courts either for or against another trial.
 
Old 10-01-2011, 10:58 AM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
16,085 posts, read 23,883,960 times
Reputation: 17982
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Your absolutely right and my point is, IF there is another trial in federal court (hypothetically), it won't be because some ignoramous started a petition. All the signatures in the country wouldn't persuade the courts either for or against another trial.

I see your point. Petitions have there value in revision or incorporating new law, not so much here.

The big question, CAN Federal Court retry the Casey Anthony case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top