U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:14 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,788,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
Casey got away with her finger of affection many times during jury selection and the trial.

Baez sticks his tongue out at court camera ...

Then Casey flips the bird ...

This was a real classy group!!
You really have to wonder how these scuz ball lawyers sleep at night. It's obvious they couldn't have cared less about the death of that little girl. If they had at least cared and still defended CA, that would have been one thing, but it seems they act and acted with total indifference.

Another day another dollar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 01:15 PM

13,930 posts, read 19,154,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
You really have to wonder how these scuz ball lawyers sleep at night. It's obvious they couldn't have cared less about the death of that little girl. If they had at least cared and still defended CA, that would have been one thing, but it seems they act and acted with total indifference.

Of course they didn't care, and why should they? They weren't being paid to care about a long dead kid. They were being paid to defend Casey Anthony in a criminal trial. They're no different than the prosecution, who don't care either. They too are being paid to do a job as well.

The simple cold hard truth of the matter is then is this trial, Caylee did not matter at all. "Justice" for Caylee also did not matter. The sole purpose was determining the guilt or innocence of Casey Anthony. Any talk to the contrary by either side was nothing more than public relations moves placating to the highly emotional public.

Old 12-08-2011, 01:47 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,722,131 times
Not guilty, is not the same as "Innocent"...

Old 12-08-2011, 02:48 PM

16,085 posts, read 23,898,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Of course they didn't care, and why should they? They weren't being paid to care about a long dead kid. They were being paid to defend Casey Anthony in a criminal trial. They're no different than the prosecution, who don't care either. They too are being paid to do a job as well.

The simple cold hard truth of the matter is then is this trial, Caylee did not matter at all. "Justice" for Caylee also did not matter.The sole purpose was determining the guilt or innocence of Casey Anthony. Any talk to the contrary by either side was nothing more than public relations moves placating to the highly emotional public.
The photos make it blatantly obvious, actions speak louder than words.

Last edited by virgode; 12-08-2011 at 03:42 PM..

Old 12-08-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:

The simple cold hard truth of the matter is then is this trial, Caylee did not matter at all. "Justice" for Caylee also did not matter. The sole purpose was determining the guilt or innocence of Casey Anthony. Any talk to the contrary by either side was nothing more than public relations moves placating to the highly emotional public.
Somehow I knew it would be you who chimed in on that one Bosco......

I have to disagree. To listen to Jeff Ashton and the other prosecuters talk about the case, to read his book, you can just tell they truly did care. Lets not forget that a prosecuter makes next to nothing especialy compared to a defense lawyers salary. People who spend their entire law career as a government paid public prosecuter, from what I understand, are in it for more than just the money.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:43 AM

13,930 posts, read 19,154,540 times
Quote:

I have to disagree. To listen to Jeff Ashton and the other prosecuters talk about the case, to read his book, you can just tell they truly did care. Lets not forget that a prosecuter makes next to nothing especialy compared to a defense lawyers salary. People who spend their entire law career as a government paid public prosecuter, from what I understand, are in it for more than just the money.
I don't buy it, but who knows. It's just pointless and ridiculous to sit there and lament the defense team's lack of caring for a murder victim though. It's not their job. Of course, this was the defense team that got Casey off on the murder charges, so naturally the public is going to suspend rational and logical thought and spew venom at them for actually doing their jobs, but such is life I guess.

Old 12-09-2011, 07:03 AM

9,194 posts, read 9,275,870 times
Quote:
I think many prosecutors do care a great deal about crime victims. Most people's views on life, culture, and politics are shaped and conditioned by personal experiences. The personal experience that most prosecutors have is that they are faced with both victims and police officers who want individual X charged and prosecuted based on what they claim are his/her actions.

I worked for a couple of years in the criminal appeals division of my state's attorney general's office. Our role was to represent the state when someone would appeal a criminal conviction from the trial courts. Most of the work simply involved researching and writing appellate briefs for the state court of appeals or the state supreme court to read. Occasionally, we would appear in those courts and argue the state's position. We worked in the capitol city of my state and had very little personal contact with crime victims. Even so, certain cases would result in our office receiving literally volumes of mail from crime victims and other people interested in the outcome of a case. Most of those cases were either: 1. particularly atrocious murders; 2. child sexual abuse cases; or 3. drunk driving cases resulting in fatalities.

The volume of mail did make a difference. Also, my supervisor was particularly sensitive about high profile cases. He'd personally review (and generally rewrite) all the appellate briefs we prepared in these cases. At the time, I thought he was a pain to work with. Today, I think he was very concerned that our office produce its very best work product in these cases.

As to your second point about salaries. Its true and false at the same time. Private sector salaries for capable attorneys tend to be higher than salaries paid by the state. However, the health insurance, pension, and benefits provided by government agencies makes these jobs real plums these days. Its a good deal for a lawyer who wants to put in 30 years at the same organization and knows that criminal prosecution is what they want to do. The nature of these kinds of jobs is that the more years you have in them, the better they seem. Salaries slowly go up, year by year. Retirement doesn't seem important to many people until they hit about age 50 and realize its imminent. Health insurance is pretty meaningless until you have a major medical problem--which usually hits in your fifties.

The other point that is often missed about being a prosecutor is that it is a "stepping stone" to higher office. Prosecutors have a strong leg up when it comes to judicial appointments or higher office. I know many who went from the county attorney's office to the district court. I know one who after landing a job as a district judge got a second promotion to the appeals court.

Prosecutors should neither be idolized nor demonized. There are many good ones who serve the public admirably. There are also people in those offices doing very little except waiting out the time until their retirement. Its a mixed bag like anything else in life.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:28 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,722,131 times
Most prosecutors I have known, prefer to work in public service for one of two reasons...they did not like the hours needed to put in to get to the top at a law firm, working on their own was not paying the bills, or they wanted to go into politics. It was not all about being in public service...after all, in public service, you do your 40 hours, and go home.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
I don't buy it, but who knows. It's just pointless and ridiculous to sit there and lament the defense team's lack of caring for a murder victim though. It's not their job. Of course, this was the defense team that got Casey off on the murder charges, so naturally the public is going to suspend rational and logical thought and spew venom at them for actually doing their jobs, but such is life I guess.
Please do your best to read my entire post.......

Quote:

Old 12-10-2011, 03:49 PM

403 posts, read 517,506 times
Quote:

Lol. They're in it bcause it's a cushy job and they can feel powerful. Thy don't do much in general. So don't have some misconception that thy are just so dedicated to public service. That's a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime