U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 07:57 PM

4,907 posts, read 6,124,428 times

Advertisements

I bought it, on a whim and I will not buy any others concerning this case. His was the only one I would consider buying. I started the first few pages, couldn't concentrate (personal reasons) and flipped over to the last page or two.....boy, does he rip on the jury. Good for him. I will read it further when I can give it my undivided attention.

I actually think I bought it as a consolation prize to Jeff Ashton. I thought he/they did a decent job and I only base that on what others have said and what i have read. I was not a devoted Casey Anthony follower so I didn't have a lot invested in this case. I thought the jury was right up there with the OJ jury and will always be pointed to as how juries should not operate....as a joke and not to be taken seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 10:06 PM

403 posts, read 517,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Wow..who is making the ASSupmtions now? It was what carolina women said that reminded me of the movie, that was not to say I agree or disagree with her in respect to your career.....I could care less what your occupation is and as far as I know you would have no reaon to lie about it.

And thanks for continuing to dodge my question about the over-charging like so many others making the claim have. In the interest of keeping this post on topic per the mods request, I shall pose it to you again. How exactly, would Jeff Ashton charging her with first degree murder, have been over-charging Casey when infact the jury had three separate and major charges to choose from?..........
Simply put the jury was going to be focused on the charge on which he put the most weight. It was clear to everyone under the sun that he felt he had a slam dunk first degree case. The jury wasn't necessarily going to make the leap and go with a lesser charge. Not to mention that they did indicte that they were confused by the jury instructions.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I bought it, on a whim and I will not buy any others concerning this case. His was the only one I would consider buying. I started the first few pages, couldn't concentrate (personal reasons) and flipped over to the last page or two.....boy, does he rip on the jury. Good for him. I will read it further when I can give it my undivided attention.

I actually think I bought it as a consolation prize to Jeff Ashton. I thought he/they did a decent job and I only base that on what others have said and what i have read. I was not a devoted Casey Anthony follower so I didn't have a lot invested in this case. I thought the jury was right up there with the OJ jury and will always be pointed to as how juries should not operate....as a joke and not to be taken seriously.
I don't think he should rip the jury. As a professional in the legal field, juries can make or break him. Giving people the wrong impression about your feelings on juries can be detrimental. Besides, what is he ripping them for? HE lost the case. Don't blame it on the jury. He didn't convince them. Enough said. Tis is nothing but sour grapes and reeks of the bitterness displayed by Marcia Clark and Chris Darden. You see how their careers went after all their bitterness was publicized.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:25 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,746,980 times
Interesting, "rip on the jury", Ashton was over confident, and felt like this case wasa slam dunk, and could be won on innuendos, and horror factor. He was really almost over invovlved and not objective. I think he needed to lay out a simple path for these folks to convict. The whole case was over the head of plain, simple, concrete folks. And counter the spin master, Jose Baez.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:49 AM

9,537 posts, read 4,877,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
Simply put the jury was going to be focused on the charge on which he put the most weight. It was clear to everyone under the sun that he felt he had a slam dunk first degree case. The jury wasn't necessarily going to make the leap and go with a lesser charge. Not to mention that they did indicte that they were confused by the jury instructions.
Juries are often presented with several charges. If a juror is too dumb to 'make the leap' from the highest to lesser charges, they should not be on a jury, or permitted to drive a car, or use a dangerous instrument like a fork.

Do you happen to remember which juror indicated confusion over jury instructions.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Juries are often presented with several charges. If a juror is too dumb to 'make the leap' from the highest to lesser charges, they should not be on a jury, or permitted to drive a car, or use a dangerous instrument like a fork.

Do you happen to remember which juror indicated confusion over jury instructions.
I don't remember exactly. I think Jennifer Ford was one who said it.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:52 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,796,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepimpact2 View Post
It was clear to everyone under the sun that he felt he had a slam dunk first degree case.
More than likely because it was clear to everyone under the sun that Casey A. was infact guilty of first degree murder.
Quote:
The jury wasn't necessarily going to make the leap and go with a lesser charge

Than they had no business being on that jury if they couldn't or wouldn't do the job they were there to do.

Quote:
Not to mention that they did indicte that they were confused by the jury instructions.
I dont recall hearing this, thats not to say it isnt true. If it is true, than why didnt they ask for clarification on the instructions? I'll tell you why, because one of them had a cruise to get to in two days and they all pretty much wanted to get the hell outa there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
. I think he needed to lay out a simple path for these folks to convict.
how much more simple could it have gotten? The child was dead, Casey was the mother, and even by the defenses own theory she was guilty of neglegence and child abuse. Suppose she did wonder off and drown in the pool, theres your neglegence right there.

Quote:
The whole case was over the head of plain, simple, concrete folks. And counter the spin master, Jose Baez.
Now this we agree on. I think the case was lost on the 4 weeks of forensic testimony, which was way complicated for the lay person to understand. Had they not taken a month to present it and just left that out, they may have got a more enthusiastic jury.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:00 PM

6,589 posts, read 6,832,131 times
After OJ I've always questioned the wisdom of sequestering the jury.I think they form weird alliances and get a little stir crazy during down time(which in this case there seemed to be alot of)!As far as the forensics go if the didn't understand it then they should have discounted it...there was enough circumstanial evidence to convict her ten times over!!

Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,746,980 times
Agree with that. A sequestered jury, is already going to be a very skewed group on a Bell Curve., people who can basically stop their lives for months.

I don't know how you get out of a jury pool with that demand. For example, I am the only one who does my job, at work, no one else has my qualifications. Patient care would stop at our clincic. Would that get me off of a jury pool like that? Not that I would have ever been picked, Baez would have chomped at the bit to disqualify me.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:19 AM

Well they have no choice but to sequester them. But when done properly they really shouldn't have much contact with each other outside of the courtroom. And a deputy is supposed to be with them whenever they are out of the courtroom or hotel and monitoring what they say to make sure they don't discuss the case. I don't think weird alliances were formed here although I do think they all deferred too much to the jury foreman who was overly impressed with himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime