U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 05:41 PM

6,587 posts, read 6,821,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What is the difference between not guilty and innocent?
Not guilty just means they didn't have enough evidence for a jury to convict you...innocent means you didn't do it and a jury has no way of ever finding that! This jury disregarded an overwhelming amount of circumstantial evidence which convicts people everyday in low profile cases!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 05:55 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,781,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Next, Ashton starts teaching at a law school...just wait...

Those who can do...those who can't...
Some of you people kill me.... Nevermind his thirty years as a renound FL state prosecuter, he loses one case, one case that most everyone thought he was going to win, and here you are criticizing him as a prosecuter and saying "those who can't" Had he won you would have been singing his praises.

I agree with most of what you say j12 but to put it bluntly, this is laughable to say the least. Chalked up to nothing more than sour grapes.

Quote:

Amazing coincidence, that his "retirement" was announced when he lost the case?
He actualy came out of retirement just for this case..... i.e. he was already retired.

a little bit of learning is a dangerous thing.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:53 PM

True Ashton was due to retire win or lose.However,I feel he should not profit from the book it cheapens our justice system to do so. Ashton represented the people/state and as such should not be able to profit.He will have lots of offers in the private sector due to the attention this case has garnered but to write a book for money is just tacky!!

Old 11-21-2011, 01:28 PM

28,206 posts, read 20,734,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
True Ashton was due to retire win or lose.However,I feel he should not profit from the book it cheapens our justice system to do so. Ashton represented the people/state and as such should not be able to profit.He will have lots of offers in the private sector due to the attention this case has garnered but to write a book for money is just tacky!!
Well every author known to mankind has written books for money, so I don't have an issue with that.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:14 AM

9,911 posts, read 9,300,737 times
Jeff Ashton is an excellent attorney ... if anyone in my family was murdered I would want that man on the prosecution team.

And ... Jeff's career since passing the bar has been with the State of Florida ... this is the lowest paying salary an attorney can choose. In his 30 years working in the prosecutors office he has taken 70 cases to trial and all but two returned a guilty verdict. In addition he has prosecuted twelve capital murder cases and won convictions on every one of them.

In 1987 Jeff Ashton successfully prosecuted the first case in the whole WORLD in which DNA evidence was used. The case Tommy Lee Andrews, the court allowed and the jury accepted the new science (DNA) and Andrews was sentenced to life in prison.

A lawyer certainly does not get rich working for the state and Jeff hung in there 30 years. With his expertise he could have done the same thing Baez, Mason or Sims did ... opened his own firm or even chased ambulances and made more money. Most prosecutors leave their jobs within 5 years due to the pay. Miami Dade starting salary is $40k a year I don't know what Orange County is.

I don't care what Jeff Ashton does with my $26.99 plus tax which he doesn't get the tax.

From his book: Even now I have difficulty describing what I felt looking down at that sight. She was so small. For so long we had known that one day we would find Caylee Anthony but I was still not prepared for this moment. I have seen adult skeletons many time but this was my first time seeing a child's. How could anyone just throw Caylee away like that, with a laundry bag for her coffin. For a moment, I allowed myself to hate Casey Anthony. I pushed the hated away but I will never forget what I felt in that moment. Just as now there was no doubt in my mind that Casey killed this beautiful little girl.

Yes Baez won ... yes Casey walked ... yes the Anthonys are going on their merry way ... but Caylee Marie Anthony is still dead and not one single person is being held responsible for the death of this beautiful child.

No Ashton's book is not blood money but I assure you if Cindy, Baez, Mason, Sims or Casey writes a book or appears on TV I won't watch it. I did not watch Dr Phil and don't give two cents for what was said. Of course I haven't watch any of the Ashton interviews either. It's the truth "Imperfect Justice" ... that is exactly what we were exposed to with this trial.

I am not stupid, I know this is the great American way ... the jury made the call and we will all have to live with it ... but I assure you we don't have to like it.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:41 AM

403 posts, read 517,241 times
So in other words you have no problem wallowing in and admitting your double standard. Smh

Old 11-22-2011, 06:31 AM

9,525 posts, read 4,866,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
[snip]No Ashton's book is not blood money but I assure you if Cindy, Baez, Mason, Sims or Casey writes a book or appears on TV I won't watch it. I did not watch Dr Phil and don't give two cents for what was said. Of course I haven't watch any of the Ashton interviews either. It's the truth "Imperfect Justice" ... that is exactly what we were exposed to with this trial.

I am not stupid, I know this is the great American way ... the jury made the call and we will all have to live with it ... but I assure you we don't have to like it.
I'll read any book by the lawyers in this case. How a trial where the best anyone figured Casey would get is a mistrial became not guilty on all counts except lying is an amazing legal, trial story. If any of the Anthonys write books, I'd probably skim them in a bookstore for anything related to the trial.

I'm sure some people will pass on the legal, trial stuff and read a book about the Anthonys personal lives. Others couldn't care less about any of it.

To each their own.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:01 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,703,820 times
Really, why buy the loser's book? I suppose it is information on what not to do. What ahhoys me, is that he won't own ANY missteps here. He did not lay out a clear path for jurors to follow. He should have spent time explaining "reasonable doubt". Ashton was cocky, and arrogant, I an sure the book will be full of hubris.

He should just print the book on toilet paper.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:35 PM

If Ashston/State of Florida made any it mistake it was to make this a death penalty case...it freaked the moron jurrors out because the State clearly didn't prove premeditation and so they knee jerked all the lesser counts not guilty!! Ashton is not an author by trade (I don't have any problem with a writer making $!)he was a public servant and as such it just cheapens him and the State!!

Old 11-22-2011, 06:01 PM

1,422 posts, read 4,632,913 times
I think he and Drane-Burdick did a phenomenal job. It's hard to play fair when your opponent is cheating. And the judge bent over backwards to accommodate the defense, far too far backwards, IMO. But he was afraid of them. He should have stood more firmly when Baez pulled his shenanigans. Instead, he said "I'll deal with you later" (which he didn't as far as I know), and allowed Baez's unethical behavior to permeate that courtroom.

Ashton's a great attorney who has really contributed greatly. As someone else posted, it's not easy to get the good attorneys to work for the public institutions. Why? Because the attorneys in private practice make a ton of money and those on the public payroll are paid a pittance in comparison. But those who go private often a sell-out their values. It's amazing to me how one's values can be rationalized away as the income level increases.

Thanks to Ashton for many years of service to pursue justice for the People.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime