U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 01:49 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,853,167 times

Advertisements

this very sad an sounds to me like child neglect

Old 09-06-2011, 06:19 AM

9,551 posts, read 4,891,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I agree with this but regardless of how friendly the dog is, a 9 DAY OLD BABY should not be around dogs, especially not unattended. I don't care what breed the dog is, again, a 9 DAY! OLD! BABY! should not be left around dogs.

It's not the breed. Pitbulls are NOT dangerous. Before idiots started using them for dog fighting, pitbulls used to be considered "the baby sitter dog". You can thank the media for getting people all in a frenzy over pit bulls. In total, pitbulls kill about 3 people a year. Yet we kill over a million a year. Gee, who should be more wary.

Children should NEVER be left unattended around dogs until they are old enough to know how to act around dogs. End of story. It is not the breed of the dog, it's the IDIOT parents who would leave a 9 DAY old baby with 5 dogs. Stupidity at its finest.

The baby dies because of these idiots.
The dogs will probably die because of these idiots.
What happens to these idiots? A slap on the wrist?

That is where the focus should be, NOT on the breed of dog.
I agree and disagree.

First of all, the people had several dogs and we don't know which attacked the child. All the breeds have In General reputations for being among the more aggressive.

Your defense of pitbulls --- they kill 'only' 3 people/year and 'Before idiots started using them for dog fighting, pitbulls used to be considered "the baby sitter dog"--- ignores the non-fatal injuries to humans and the harm to other animals. Is Every pitbull dangerous ? No. Considering that not every human is a responsible person, the Current breeding of pitbulls, and their 'never let go' bite, pitbulls are More dangerous than other breeds.

BTW, a 2-week-old baby was killed by a family dog in Texas on Saturday. "Investigators said the dog that attacked was a 100-pound pit bull."

Pit Bull Quarantined After Baby Killed - Local News - Houston, TX - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44402866/ns/local_news-houston_tx/t/pit-bull-quarantined-after-baby-killed/ - broken link)

Old 09-06-2011, 12:52 PM

16,408 posts, read 28,954,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
We have had dogs all our 40+ years of marriage ... Chow, Doberman, German Shepherds, Labs, Boxers, Peek-A-Poo, a large assortment of Heinz 57s ... we have a pet cemetery out back.

We never had a Rottweiler ... but we did have a Pitbull ... brought him home when he was weaned from his momma. He was a pretty thing brindle. We live on four acres with one acre fenced in with a five ft chain-link fence. We had the Pit in the house, he was crate trained and house broke. We had his ears docked and he was neutered.

We had three children the girls were in high school and son was in Junior High (not babies) when we got the Pit. He would go out in the fenced yard and play, run, jump ... then back in the house, flop down on the couch.

For whatever reason ... one day the Pit decided to jump the fence or he climbed it (5 ft) and up the road he ran to a neighbor's house ... he got a hold of her Lab and almost ate the Lab's leg off. It took my husband, son and daughter to get that dog off that Lab. It cost us almost $500.00 in Vet bills for the Lab's injuries. The Pit had a new home before the sun went down that day. I couldn't sleep ... if that had been a child as we had neighbors with children that played outside ... the Lab injuries bothered us enough but if it had been child .. OMG!!

No more Pitbulls for us ... and I do not trust them after that fiasco. They will turn. I know I saw it and still shudder when I think about the event.
I understand you being concerned and upset, but dog on dog aggression does not automatically mean dog on child or dog on person aggression is a foretold conclusion.

Another thing, any breed or size of dog can kill a baby; it happened with a Pomeranian, a toy breed:

Pomeranian Kills Baby | Baby Girl Killed by Family Dog - Los Angeles Times

I think in this thread's case whoever was supposed to be taking care of that child was EXTREMELY NEGLECTFUL. How did all those dogs get ahold of the baby?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:38 PM

2,064 posts, read 6,025,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I agree and disagree.

First of all, the people had several dogs and we don't know which attacked the child. All the breeds have In General reputations for being among the more aggressive.

Your defense of pitbulls --- they kill 'only' 3 people/year and 'Before idiots started using them for dog fighting, pitbulls used to be considered "the baby sitter dog"--- ignores the non-fatal injuries to humans and the harm to other animals. Is Every pitbull dangerous ? No. Considering that not every human is a responsible person, the Current breeding of pitbulls, and their 'never let go' bite, pitbulls are More dangerous than other breeds.

BTW, a 2-week-old baby was killed by a family dog in Texas on Saturday. "Investigators said the dog that attacked was a 100-pound pit bull."

Pit Bull Quarantined After Baby Killed - Local News - Houston, TX - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44402866/ns/local_news-houston_tx/t/pit-bull-quarantined-after-baby-killed/ - broken link)
Pit bulls aren't supposed to weigh 100lb. The dog was probably another breed or a pit mixed with a bigger breed. Pits should weigh 40-60 (max) lbs. Frankly, any dog that is short haired and muscular gets called a pit when it bites someone.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:11 PM

4,907 posts, read 6,134,489 times
Quote:
True, animals will do this as its instinctual for the survival of the species. They will kill the runt, the weak or the sick if they think that those will slow them down or bring them danger and they will ignore their young if the young cannot keep up. They focus on the stronger of the babies and the weaker or sick ones have to fight to survive or they will die.

But that is not what humans do. Humans neglect their kids out of laziness or sheer stupidity and/or abuse their kids because they've gone crazy or they do it with malicious intent.

Animals do not kill their own with malice and they do not ignore their own because they are lazy or stupid. That's the difference.
why do lions coming into a new pride, kill all the baby lions that belong to the previous male lion....? I have seen male domesticated cats do the same...as far as I am concerned that kind of killing approaches some sort of animal malice....

I have read and heard of several instances as to where an animal did not bond with their new baby. Cows, for one, but not often. They have to put the calf with another mother...

just askin'. I dont think we can make blanket statements about human nature or animal nature....

Old 09-06-2011, 03:20 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,251,650 times
I wanted to chime in and put my two cents in on this case.

First and foremost I am extremely sadden for the loss of this poor baby. I think it is a terrible tragedy and like others before me have said who ever was to be watching these dogs and child was extremely neglient.

That said..I wanted to share my experience as a dog owner and a first time mom.

When I got pregnant with my son my relationship with my dog drastically changed. She was a friendly dog, never showed aggression and if anything she is the type of dog that wants to play and get along with other dogs. But four months into my pregnancy, she would growl at me for no reason and stopped listening to my commands. She would poop in my shoes and next to any thing that was new for the baby. I took her to the Vet and spent over $500 only to be told she is experiencing behavorial problems because she knows that the dynamics of the household are about to change. We trained and correct her behavior, by the time the baby came and we brought him home she was leery and stood away. She hated when he cried, barked and growled if he did. She was never left alone with him in a room. After awhile it all settled down.

The day she showed aggression was a year later when I was teaching him how to walk. My husband and I were teaching him how to walk and she was laying in her dog bed in the living room. We were in the kitchen. Literally a few minutes in, she got up ran as quick as lightning and lunged for the baby. My husband grabbed her by the neck in anger and threw her in the yard. He went out in the yard and yelled at her (like the dog would understand.). For a week we left her in the yard and then we considered giving her to a family member. But she never ever did it again and we were torn about giving her away after all we had her since a pup, lavished love and attention on her. She has traveled with us and been apart of our lives every day. The thought was heartbreaking but she never did it again. The dog and now toddler are the best of friends until......

Now...

I am pregnant again. The dog has shown aggression by pooping anywhere and everywhere in spite, growling at me and not listening to my husband or I's commands. She has been banned to the laundry room and yard. This time we are truly considering giving her up to a family member who knows the dog well and does not have young children. We would not shed a tear because we feel it would be the best for her.

I have come to the conclusion that dogs are extremely territorial even of their owners. I don't believe a dog makes the distinction of baby = human being/owner property. I believe that dogs look at a baby as 'threat' and will do anything to protect their territory.

I will say that I do not believe that pitbulls are the only dogs that will kill a child because I own a West Highland Terrier who looks exactly like the Lil Cesars dog and the day she lunged for my child was the first time I ever considered having her put down. I know that any dog has the potential to kill a child.

This time around we are not taking any chances, either she is confined to the laundry room or yard until she settles or she will be spending time with a new family.

It is heartbreaking and sad because when I have looked at getting a rescue dog before I got her, there are some dogs not just pits whose profiles clearly state that the dog would prefer to live in a home with either older children or alone with an owner. To me that speaks volumes that some dogs clearly cannot make a distinction or live with children because they are just territorial.

BTW I do not hate dogs, I love dogs. But at the end of the day she is still an animal and justifiably so must be treated as one.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:44 PM

Wow, theOriginalMrsX, what an interesting but heartfelt story...let us know what happens with your doggie. What a shame though I feel you don't have much choice. Good luck but don't take any chances.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:45 PM

3,388 posts, read 5,756,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I agree and disagree.

That's not a APBT, that's a mutt they are pawning off as a "pit bull". They call them American Bullies, but they are registered under APBT by less than reputable kennel clubs.

THESE are American Pit Bull Terriers.

THESE are100lb mixed breed mutts of questionable parentage they are calling APBT.

And just for fun!

The REAL American Pit Bull Terrier Video - YouTube

Old 09-06-2011, 04:27 PM

I think the black dog is really scrary looking....

I was standing in my yard, one afternoon last year, and the man across the street opened his front door and his BIL's two dogs raced past him, across his yard, across the road and across my yard, ran up to me and bite me on the calf.......he did not mean to let them out but, they did.....it was unprovoked and there was no explaination. They were both some type of bulldog. It made me very nervous about dogs.....

On the other hand, my DD's new husband has a HUGE doberman. He is a beautiful animal and I love being around him. He acts like a big baby. But, I know he is a dog and he could take me down in a minute. I have cautioned my 7 yr old grandson to not roughhouse with him. He has nipped at him a couple of times when he did.....the dog is a magnificient animal......

Old 09-06-2011, 04:32 PM

25,393 posts, read 30,806,540 times
Quote:
I agree with this but regardless of how friendly the dog is, a 9 DAY OLD BABY should not be around dogs, especially not unattended. I don't care what breed the dog is, again, a 9 DAY! OLD! BABY! should not be left around dogs.

It's not the breed. Pitbulls are NOT dangerous. Before idiots started using them for dog fighting, pitbulls used to be considered "the baby sitter dog". You can thank the media for getting people all in a frenzy over pit bulls. In total, pitbulls kill about 3 people a year. Yet we kill over a million a year. Gee, who should be more wary.

Children should NEVER be left unattended around dogs until they are old enough to know how to act around dogs. End of story. It is not the breed of the dog, it's the IDIOT parents who would leave a 9 DAY old baby with 5 dogs. Stupidity at its finest.

The baby dies because of these idiots.
The dogs will probably die because of these idiots.
What happens to these idiots? A slap on the wrist?

That is where the focus should be, NOT on the breed of dog.
They kill a 9 day old baby and you call them not dangerous???? What do you think a dangerous dog does????

How do you know these dogs were used for dog fighting? Or are you referring to them being bred for dog fighting....which would make the dogs ..... danergous???

If children can't be left alone around dogs, then dogs are dangerous. I admit the parents should not have left the baby alone around the dogs BECAUSE the dogs ARE dangerous!!! If the dogs are not dangerous, then there'd be no problem. Certain breeds of dog are simply too dangerous to have around a baby. If you have them, you need to keep them away from the baby. Or get rid of the dogs.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-06-2011 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or