Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 04:37 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I think the black dog is really scrary looking....

I was standing in my yard, one afternoon last year, and the man across the street opened his front door and his BIL's two dogs raced past him, across his yard, across the road and across my yard, ran up to me and bite me on the calf.......he did not mean to let them out but, they did.....it was unprovoked and there was no explaination. They were both some type of bulldog. It made me very nervous about dogs.....

On the other hand, my DD's new husband has a HUGE doberman. He is a beautiful animal and I love being around him. He acts like a big baby. But, I know he is a dog and he could take me down in a minute. I have cautioned my 7 yr old grandson to not roughhouse with him. He has nipped at him a couple of times when he did.....the dog is a magnificient animal......
When I was a little girl my late neighbor who lived across the hall from us had two beautiful dobermans! They were friendly and everytime they saw me or my sister coming they would lick us! I think because we were always covered in some sort of sticky sweet candy. Then the neighbor died. A year to his death his first dog died. A month later the second dog. The family member who took care of the dogs after my neighbors death said they died of a broken heart. I will always remember that. They were never the same after he died. After that I always wanted mini dobermans because of their size I could not have large dobermans like my neighbor. I never got around to owning one. They are magnificent and loyal dogs.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:40 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I wanted to chime in and put my two cents in on this case.

First and foremost I am extremely sadden for the loss of this poor baby. I think it is a terrible tragedy and like others before me have said who ever was to be watching these dogs and child was extremely neglient.

That said..I wanted to share my experience as a dog owner and a first time mom.

When I got pregnant with my son my relationship with my dog drastically changed. She was a friendly dog, never showed aggression and if anything she is the type of dog that wants to play and get along with other dogs. But four months into my pregnancy, she would growl at me for no reason and stopped listening to my commands. She would poop in my shoes and next to any thing that was new for the baby. I took her to the Vet and spent over $500 only to be told she is experiencing behavorial problems because she knows that the dynamics of the household are about to change. We trained and correct her behavior, by the time the baby came and we brought him home she was leery and stood away. She hated when he cried, barked and growled if he did. She was never left alone with him in a room. After awhile it all settled down.

The day she showed aggression was a year later when I was teaching him how to walk. My husband and I were teaching him how to walk and she was laying in her dog bed in the living room. We were in the kitchen. Literally a few minutes in, she got up ran as quick as lightning and lunged for the baby. My husband grabbed her by the neck in anger and threw her in the yard. He went out in the yard and yelled at her (like the dog would understand.). For a week we left her in the yard and then we considered giving her to a family member. But she never ever did it again and we were torn about giving her away after all we had her since a pup, lavished love and attention on her. She has traveled with us and been apart of our lives every day. The thought was heartbreaking but she never did it again. The dog and now toddler are the best of friends until......

Now...

I am pregnant again. The dog has shown aggression by pooping anywhere and everywhere in spite, growling at me and not listening to my husband or I's commands. She has been banned to the laundry room and yard. This time we are truly considering giving her up to a family member who knows the dog well and does not have young children. We would not shed a tear because we feel it would be the best for her.

I have come to the conclusion that dogs are extremely territorial even of their owners. I don't believe a dog makes the distinction of baby = human being/owner property. I believe that dogs look at a baby as 'threat' and will do anything to protect their territory.

I will say that I do not believe that pitbulls are the only dogs that will kill a child because I own a West Highland Terrier who looks exactly like the Lil Cesars dog and the day she lunged for my child was the first time I ever considered having her put down. I know that any dog has the potential to kill a child.

This time around we are not taking any chances, either she is confined to the laundry room or yard until she settles or she will be spending time with a new family.

It is heartbreaking and sad because when I have looked at getting a rescue dog before I got her, there are some dogs not just pits whose profiles clearly state that the dog would prefer to live in a home with either older children or alone with an owner. To me that speaks volumes that some dogs clearly cannot make a distinction or live with children because they are just territorial.

BTW I do not hate dogs, I love dogs. But at the end of the day she is still an animal and justifiably so must be treated as one.
You really need to get rid of this dog. From the dog's perspective, the confinement is proof that the threat is real. Your pregnancy has changed her position in the family. I would expect her to react badly to that.

I have a neice who has a huge scar on her face because the family dog just decided to try and take her face off one day when she was sitting in her high chair. She had never shown aggression towards the baby before. She didn't growl or bark. She just walked across the room and bit her. The dog was put down.

My step son has a scar on his arm from a bite from my father in laws dog. My FIL took the dog out behind the barn and shot him.

Some dogs just don't mix with kids. It's best to admit that before something bad happens. Give the dog to a family that doesn't have kids.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:44 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
They kill a 9 day old baby and you call them not dangerous???? What do you think a dangerous dog does????

How do you know these dogs were used for dog fighting? Or are you referring to them being bred for dog fighting....which would make the dogs ..... danergous???

If children can't be left alone around dogs, then dogs are dangerous. I admit the parents should not have left the baby alone around the dogs BECAUSE the dogs ARE dangerous!!! If the dogs are not dangerous, then there'd be no problem. Certain breeds of dog are simply too dangerous to have around a baby. If you have them, you need to keep them away from the baby. Or get rid of the dogs.
I don't think ANY small child should be left alone with a dog of any breed. You never know what might happen. Dogs are animals, after all.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
You really need to get rid of this dog. From the dog's perspective, the confinement is proof that the threat is real. Your pregnancy has changed her position in the family. I would expect her to react badly to that.

I have a neice who has a huge scar on her face because the family dog just decided to try and take her face off one day when she was sitting in her high chair. She had never shown aggression towards the baby before. She didn't growl or bark. She just walked across the room and bit her. The dog was put down.

My step son has a scar on his arm from a bite from my father in laws dog. My FIL took the dog out behind the barn and shot him.

Some dogs just don't mix with kids. It's best to admit that before something bad happens. Give the dog to a family that doesn't have kids.
My point proven.

You cannot judge an animal to be "100% dangerous" or "100% safe" by breed or even by past behavior. You just have to be on your guard with animals and small children in close proximity to each other.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
My point proven.

You cannot judge an animal to be "100% dangerous" or "100% safe" by breed or even by past behavior. You just have to be on your guard with animals and small children in close proximity to each other.
Which begs the question why have them around children at all?

If a dog that doesn't show aggression will, suddenly, turn on it's owners, one should get rid of one that is showing aggression.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:

I agree with you here Ivorytickler. Some dogs don't mix with kids. And that is why when the time comes for her to go she will go and no tears will be shed. It hurts like hell but the safety of my child comes first. Unfortunately the family member who is taking her will not be able to take her until they visit and that is right before the baby is born.

And it is a shame because many people will not realize that dogs are just animals at the end of the day. From the small petite chihuahua to the American Pit Bull, all dogs can be aggressive. It is in their nature....

Also you reminded me of another incident with a co-worker in England. She had a prized shepherding type dog. One that they refused to neuter due to his status. She had a baby girl. Right after the baby was born the vet told her he prefered the dog to neutered because the dog would become aggressive. If it did not happen now it was going to happen soon. She did not believe them. Sure enough the child turned six years old and for whatever reason the dog jumped the child and pinned her to exert her dominance. The husband leapt to his feet and beat the crap out of the dog, brought it down to the vet and had it put down. The co-worker cried her heart out and when she told me this I told her flat out that her husband did the right thing.

Again I love my dog but she is better off with someone else unless she gets struck by lightning and changes her tune. But some how I doubt it.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Because pets are part of people's family and attacks are very rare. Plus children should have experience with pets under the guidance of knowledgeable and competent adults if at all possible for life experience.

I grew up in a household with dogs, cats, etc. We never had a mauling incident. The vast majority of American households with pets don't. I am happy my family gave me the privilege of having pets and I have upheld the tradition of having pets in my own household.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I agree with you here Ivorytickler. Some dogs don't mix with kids. And that is why when the time comes for her to go she will go and no tears will be shed. It hurts like hell but the safety of my child comes first. Unfortunately the family member who is taking her will not be able to take her until they visit and that is right before the baby is born.

And it is a shame because many people will not realize that dogs are just animals at the end of the day. From the small petite chihuahua to the American Pit Bull, all dogs can be aggressive. It is in their nature....

Also you reminded me of another incident with a co-worker in England. She had a prized shepherding type dog. One that they refused to neuter due to his status. She had a baby girl. Right after the baby was born the vet told her he prefered the dog to neutered because the dog would become aggressive. If it did not happen now it was going to happen soon. She did not believe them. Sure enough the child turned six years old and for whatever reason the dog jumped the child and pinned her to exert her dominance. The husband leapt to his feet and beat the crap out of the dog, brought it down to the vet and had it put down. The co-worker cried her heart out and when she told me this I told her flat out that her husband did the right thing.

Again I love my dog but she is better off with someone else unless she gets struck by lightning and changes her tune. But some how I doubt it.
Neutering and obedience training could have worked instead of brutalizing and killing the dog. The dog did not bite or maul the child; it was roughhousing with her; probably (mistakenly of course) comparing the child to a littermate or contemporary in status.

If dogs are not properly trained, they can get ideas that they are higher up the chain of command than they really are, and that leads to this kind of stuff.

I agree with you that you should give up your dog because, by its behavior, it appears neither you nor your husband knows how to "be the pack leader" (as Caesar Milan would say) and it doesn't sound like you are interested in learning how (or don't have the time to learn with 1 kid and another on the way). I am glad you have someone willing to take the dog instead of it ending up in the kill shelter.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
My point proven.

Any animal for that fact...

Quote:
Because we are all taught to believe that all dogs are like Lassie and will come to our rescue and do no harm. After all the saying is Man's best friend.
Yet I think when it comes to any type of pet ownership there should be more avenues of discussion regarding pets and children. Also people believe that the pet they raised during their single years and early marital years will adapt to the family life, this is not always the case and I feel that Vets should address this with the family when you go for yearly checkups.

In my case the vet addressed it when I brought her in the first time and sent us to behaviour training. But she reverted back to her old ways and acts however she pleases a year later and now that I am pregnant again. Which now brings us to the point you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Because pets are part of people's family and attacks are very rare. Plus children should have experience with pets under the guidance of knowledgeable and competent adults if at all possible for life experience.

I grew up in a household with dogs, cats, etc. We never had a mauling incident. The vast majority of American households with pets don't. I am happy my family gave me the privilege of having pets and I have upheld the tradition of having pets in my own household.
I have pets but I wouldn't have a dog around small children. I might be inclined to get a dog after I had kids but I think animal instincts kick in when they sense the family dynamics changing. The baby doesn't play by the rules. It doesn't come in as a junior member of the pack. In fact, it comes in above the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime