Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 05:52 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie22 View Post
so descendants of wolves = too wild but descendants of wild cats= totally safe and not wild? it is clear what you want but thats not really the topic
See my post before this one. Cats don't go around killing children with any regularity. Dogs kill children all the time. AND if you'd read my post, I admit there are breeds of cat you should not have around children because they will scratch and bite. Just as there are dogs who will bite and kill. Dogs, are simply more dangerous. Look at the stats I posted. There were 34 fatal dog attacks in the united states in 2010. How many fatal cat attacks were there? There are 1000 dog bites per day treated at hospitals. How many cat bites? There are millions spent on medical attention to dog bite victims. How much money is spent on cat attacks? There's a huge difference here. I don't even recall the last time I read about an unprovoked cat attack where the cat didn't have rabies.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-10-2011 at 06:06 PM..

Old 09-10-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Then you should never have a dog. Ever. Any type.
Not on my list of things to do. I don't see any value in a "pet" I have to lord over and master. I'm also wonering about people who like this... I have no desire to be anyone's master or to have someone else be mine. I have to wonder what human relationships are like among people who like to be master to their dog. Sounds like control issues to me....

If I ever did get a dog, it won't be a killer breed. There are more gentle breeds that are small enough to defend yourself against that are much less risky. I don't want to have to train an animal to be a pet. It's either pet material or it isn't. You don't take an animal that isn't and try to make it one. I would never think of having a lion as a pet. Sure, they can be trained but what's the value of a pet that needs to be trained unless it's being trained to do a job a human can't? Something that needs training to be a pet doesn't sound like pet material to me.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 09-10-2011 at 06:03 PM..

Old 09-10-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'll do one better than that. If a dog comes near me or my kid, I'll shoot it.

One less pitbull makes for a better world.
I have to admit I'd shoot first and ask questions later if a pit or rotweiler came after me or my children. Dog breeds that kill are nothing to mess with.

Old 09-10-2011, 11:05 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
According to anonymous sources close to the investigation, the baby’s mother had placed Addyson in a car seat on a kitchen counter and went to take a shower, thinking the baby’s grandfather would be keeping an eye on the child. Nelson Camerino, however, thought the baby was still in the mother’s care.

Moments later, for unknown reasons, the family’s dogs attacked the baby, causing severe head trauma and internal injuries. The family reportedly owns five dogs — a pit bill, a bulldog, a German shepherd, a German Shepherd/bulldog mix, and an Alaskan malamute.

“We realize there is a tremendous amount of interest in this case,” District Attorney Jon David said in a press release on Friday. “(We) continue to work closely together to determine if anyone should be held criminally responsible for this tragic event.”

The Bladen Journal - Investigators continue to mull charges in baby

Old 09-11-2011, 12:09 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
This is good reason to NOT have a dog as a pet!!!!! WHY would any parent have a pet to whom their sqealing baby sounds like food????? That is the height of stupidity!!!! You are NOT talking about anything that should ever be a family pet!!!!

It's not only dogs that do that hun, cats do to.

And why? Cause my furry brats are perfectly trained to the point I can leave a fresh t-bone steak on the floor with a leave it command, and hours later the meat has not been touched. But I DARE someone to try and break into this house. If they make it out alive, they WILL be missing body parts and need an ER ASAP.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:17 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'll do one better than that. If a dog comes near me or my kid, I'll shoot it.

One less pitbull makes for a better world.
Please don't come to my neighborhood then, EVER.

If you shot my family member, I would be forced to respond in kind.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:43 AM

834 posts, read 2,278,059 times
Dogs get into a pack mode when there are that many. It's possible that one of those dogs on its own would not have hurt the baby. Get 3,4,5 together and its a different story.

Also the guard dog breeds....not watch dog....guard dog, are more likely to bite. There are dogs that are wonderful with kids. One of the best breeds of dogs to have with kids are collies. Not border collies but the Lassie collies. I don't know why there aren't more of them around. pf course, any breed can bite.

I think it's a nature/nurture/situation thing. Get a dog breed that is known for dominance, have it raised in an environment where it's encouraged or at least tolerated that it shows aggression, and couple that with a neglectful parent or situation and you have a recipe for disaster.

I read that something like 70% of dog bites are to children. Dogs can love an adult and never go to hurt them, but they tend to see kids as more of their peers. Basically like they would see another dog.

Also, while most cat bites occur to the hand, most dog bites are to the face.

I hate stories like this. My heart goes out to that poor baby. There are many times that accidents happen even to the best of parents. A terrible tragedy can happen to anyone. But so many times it could have been prevented with just a minuscule of forethought.

I did dog and cat rescue for many years. I know a woman who does pitbull and bully breed rescue for years. She would be the first to tell you that pitbulls are idiot magnets. They attract the bottom of the barrel of owners. They can be some of the sweetest dogs that wouldn't hurt a fly. But from so many years of overbreeding and falling into the hands of the wrong people, you hear many stories like this involving pits (not saying these owners are idiots. I wouldn't make any judgments on them. I don't know their story) Just pointing out why you hear so many stories of attacks involving pits. The other breeds in this story are all in the top breeds of dogs that bite. Shepherds and surprisingly huskies are in the top biting breeds.

Ivorytickler, if you ever want a dog, get something small like a maltese or a cavalier king charles spaniel. Very sweet and not at all something that need to be dominated. Just happy to be with you. Or just enjoy your kitties. They are every bit as wonderful as dogs.

My prayers go out to this family. I can't imagine what they must be going through. How would you ever get over the guilt. But for what it's worth, can't we safely say that 99% of dogs would never bite? I mean out of all the dogs in the US versus the tragic stories like this, I think it's safe to say most dogs are good pets.

Signed .......a huge dog and cat lover

Old 09-11-2011, 12:55 AM

834 posts, read 2,278,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Thanks for the education I did not need. I am fully aware of that. If you had SEEN what I was responding to, "how did 5 dogs get access to that baby", you would be aware that I understood this.

MY POINT was, people will NOT focus on the fact that dogs should not have been around a baby, they will focus on the breed of the dog.

ANYWAY, the question still remains: How on earth did 5 dogs let alone ONE dog have access to that baby?

Good post! I agree that the breed is all that will be focused on. Don't know how true it is, but I read that many times, mixed breed dogs will be labeled as pit bull mixes, and later when the story is published, they become pit bulls. Let's face it, pit bull kills/harms person is a much better headline.

Not that that's the case here, but in general.

If anyone wants to see how pit bulls can be, look up Sharkey the pitbull on Youtube. The breed has fallen so far thanks to people. In the 40's, pitbulls were babysitters for children.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:19 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I am not enough of a meanie to throw my dogs outside (dogs aren't meant to be outside by themselves), but I agree there are plenty of ways to have a baby separated/segregated from the dogs without having to toss the dog out.
That's why the baby gate was invented... useful not only to keep babies in, but also to keep dogs out of a room.

Quote:
Certainly other siblings are more likely a danger to babies than dogs are. I know most of my friends had siblings who hit them or pushed them while they were trying to walk, etc.
My niece/nephew are 4 years old & 22 months respectively... and sometimes my niece will walk over and just WHACK her brother, for no reason whatsoever! She gets in trouble for that, of course, but it doesn't stop her from trying occasionally. And having a little brother myself, who's 5 years younger than me (and 7.5 years younger than our sister), I can't say I never did that either.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:28 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
See my post before this one. Cats don't go around killing children with any regularity. Dogs kill children all the time. AND if you'd read my post, I admit there are breeds of cat you should not have around children because they will scratch and bite. Just as there are dogs who will bite and kill. Dogs, are simply more dangerous. Look at the stats I posted. There were 34 fatal dog attacks in the united states in 2010. How many fatal cat attacks were there? There are 1000 dog bites per day treated at hospitals. How many cat bites? There are millions spent on medical attention to dog bite victims. How much money is spent on cat attacks? There's a huge difference here. I don't even recall the last time I read about an unprovoked cat attack where the cat didn't have rabies.
Clearly you failed statistics, LOL. So, dog-related fatalities happen "all the time," and yet there were a total of 34 in the entire US last year? According to the HSUS, there are over 78.2 MILLION pet dogs here, with 39% of all US households having at least one: U.S. Pet Ownership Statistics : The Humane Society of the United States

Do you really think 34/78,200,000 is a huge ratio or risk? I think more people die while crossing the street, for crying out loud. That's not to say I don't feel for those 34 victims, but it's hardly a reason to paint all dogs as "baby-killing monsters."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime