U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:55 PM

1,812 posts, read 2,851,208 times

Advertisements

Carson City gunman kills 4, self in IHOP attack; 8 hurt | NevadaAppeal.com

this man is known locally as having mental problems. Sadly the medical system was not able or allowed to keep this man institutionalized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 12:04 AM

11,186 posts, read 10,243,752 times
Such a sad story of more violence in this country. My ♥ goes out to the family and friends of the victims and to the family of the shooter. This has to hard for them, too.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:21 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,168,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30STM View Post

this man is known locally as having mental problems. Sadly the medical system was not able or allowed to keep this man institutionalized.
It will be important to find where he obtained the AK-47 with a history of mental illness. What if it was purchased through "Fast and Furious"? Would that finally force Holder's dismissal or would it be covered up?

Old 09-07-2011, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It will be important to find where he obtained the AK-47 with a history of mental illness. What if it was purchased through "Fast and Furious"? Would that finally force Holder's dismissal or would it be covered up?

NV you can buy a gun from almost anyone even with a felony unless its a dealer or shop then they will do a back ground check . You can even barter them on Craigslist.

He did not have a criminal past with the exception of one time when Tahoe Police had to calm him down which is not a crime.

Pawn shops and people in general in NV have all kinds of machine guns for sale.

http://www.nsrpa.us/legal/nevlocal.html here are the nv gun laws

Old 09-08-2011, 07:18 AM

its amazing.............these people fought for this country and died off duty and no one cares on this site with the exception of a few...........and most of the posters on true crime are still yapping about Casey Anthony and her parents. The OBSESSION you guys have with this girl an her folks is SICK

Amazing.............

Old 09-08-2011, 04:27 PM

12,361 posts, read 18,459,289 times
Quote:
NV you can buy a gun from almost anyone even with a felony unless its a dealer or shop then they will do a back ground check . You can even barter them on Craigslist.

He did not have a criminal past with the exception of one time when Tahoe Police had to calm him down which is not a crime.

Pawn shops and people in general in NV have all kinds of machine guns for sale.

Untitled Document here are the nv gun laws
Wow, from that link, Nevada actually has fairly restrictive gun sale laws.
But some clarification is needed - Control of both hanguns and long guns at both gun shows and businesses requires NICS approval and background checks (as you note). Anyways, yes you can do private sales but the individual has to be a resident of the state in which you make the sale-that's a federal law and it has teeth - 5 years penalty in the federal pen. The dirt bag was a Mexican national making any type of gun sale or trade illegal in any state of the US. AK47 was probably semi-automatic, the versions for sale publically are not a machine gun by any stretch. Ownership of true automatic rifles ("machine guns" as you label them) is extremely restricted by ATF - basically only specific dealers and collectors are allowed to own them. Again, illegal for almost everyone (without the above exemptions) to own and obviously illegal to sale.
Most likely the dirt bag got them off the black market - street gangs or criminals, maybe brought it in from Mexico. I don't see this as a "gun control" issue since it's obvious any possible method used to obtain the gun was illegal.

Last I checked, as well, Craigslist was not allowing gun sales.

Last edited by Dd714; 09-08-2011 at 05:05 PM..

Old 09-08-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Wow, from that link, Nevada actually has fairly restrictive gun sale laws.
But some clarification is needed - Control of both hanguns and long guns at both gun shows and businesses requires NICS approval and background checks (as you note). Anyways, yes you can do private sales but the individual has to be a resident of the state in which you make the sale-that's a federal law and it has teeth - 5 years penalty in the federal pen. The dirt bag was a Mexican national making any type of gun sale or trade illegal in any state of the US. AK47 was probably semi-automatic, the versions for sale publically are not a machine gun by any stretch. Ownership of true automatic rifles ("machine guns" as you label them) is extremely restricted by ATF - basically only specific dealers and collectors are allowed to own them. Again, illegal for almost everyone (without the above exemptions) to own and obviously illegal to sale.
Most likely the dirt bag got them off the black market - street gangs or criminals, maybe brought it in from Mexico. I don't see this as a "gun control" issue since it's obvious any possible method used to obtain the gun was illegal.

Last I checked, as well, Craigslist was not allowing gun sales.

the Killer was a CITIZEN of USA

You can barter ami on Craigs list that is not considered sellling.

Loads of Pawn shops here sell Machine guns and have them in the windows.

Also this guy may have had a lic for his guns sine he was a LEGAL resident and did not have a criminal past. He was NEVER arrested before this incident.

BTW why do you have to keep bringing up this guys Nationality????????????? So he was Mexican we have a lot of Mexicans in America good and bad and he was here legally.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:34 AM

12,361 posts, read 18,459,289 times
Quote:
the Killer was a CITIZEN of USA
You can barter ami on Craigs list that is not considered sellling.
Loads of Pawn shops here sell Machine guns and have them in the windows.
Also this guy may have had a lic for his guns sine he was a LEGAL resident and did not have a criminal past. He was NEVER arrested before this incident.
BTW why do you have to keep bringing up this guys Nationality????????????? So he was Mexican we have a lot of Mexicans in America good and bad and he was here legally.
After reading your link I was clearly and admitidly mistaken. Perhaps some earlier report said he was a mexican national, your link says he has a valid US passport so he was a citizen or at least a permanent resident (depending on how you interpret the reporting). If not, it would have been relevant and is the only reason I mentioned "Mexican". A new clip I just read said he was a legal "resident", not a citizen, and in some states gun ownership by "residents" are also restricted. I am willing to concede it's a nonrelevant topic however.

However - The guy did apparantly have a history for mental illness and was on medication. That would also restrict legal gun ownership. I think certain medication would also be reported to the NICS and show up in background checks.

Machine guns - what you are seeing are not automatic weapons (multifire on one trigger pull), but semi-automatic versions (needs a trigger pull for each shot). AR-15s (civilian version of M16) and AK's are available for sale, and look mean and scary, but really in semi automtic form they are about the same firepower as a semi-auto hunting rifles. Actually, less, since they are usually lower caliber. AR-15s are actually very popular and used for hunting. I can assure you beyond a doubt that full auto rifles cannot be owned or sold except by very difficult and expense federal license approval.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
After reading your link I was clearly and admitidly mistaken. Perhaps some earlier report said he was a mexican national, your link says he has a valid US passport so he was a citizen or at least a permanent resident (depending on how you interpret the reporting). If not, it would have been relevant and is the only reason I mentioned "Mexican". A new clip I just read said he was a legal "resident", not a citizen, and in some states gun ownership by "residents" are also restricted. I am willing to concede it's a nonrelevant topic however.

However - The guy did apparantly have a history for mental illness and was on medication. That would also restrict legal gun ownership. I think certain medication would also be reported to the NICS and show up in background checks.

Machine guns - what you are seeing are not automatic weapons (multifire on one trigger pull), but semi-automatic versions (needs a trigger pull for each shot). AR-15s (civilian version of M16) and AK's are available for sale, and look mean and scary, but really in semi automtic form they are about the same firepower as a semi-auto hunting rifles. Actually, less, since they are usually lower caliber. AR-15s are actually very popular and used for hunting. I can assure you beyond a doubt that full auto rifles cannot be owned or sold except by very difficult and expense federal license approval.

then tell all the pawn shops in N. NV to remove their stock of full auto rifles... maybe if you contact a pawn shop they can give you more info. My understanding is that medical and medicines do not come up in back ground checks in NV. only criminal. he did not have a criminal record.

He had dual citizenship with the USA and Mexico and so does the rest of his family and they own a meat shop in lake tahoe,,,,,,, from what i have heard they are very wealthy people and very nice.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:25 AM

16,133 posts, read 20,854,697 times
Quote:

At least he had a 2nd Amendment Solution to his problems.
Seems no one is addressing the fact that people with severe mental problems still buy guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime