Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 04:42 PM

18 posts, read 30,117 times

Advertisements

I have always wondered what the americans think of britain mostly the crime and if they think it is a safe place to live.
I am interested in american life and would like to visit one day as i am fascinated by the culture and the way of life but it seems like the media puts a ''bad'' image of america due to crime, for example it is meant to produce the most serial killers in the world, all the gang crime, child murders etc, is it really that bad or is it just made worse by the media???

Any opions welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 10:16 AM

121 posts, read 299,281 times
I think America actually has the highest crime rate for modern developed countries. Lots of crime for such a powerful great country.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:27 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
The crime level here is ridiculous, but we go out of our way to make it look far worse than it is. Every news story is about what's going wrong and every case example is always taken as proof that this or that type of crime is "on the rise." In fact, violent crime has been dropping year after year while scare stories about crime in the news have gone up, and this is an accurate figure based on research studies, 600%.

All kinds of things are going right and you never hear about them. Look what Rudy Giuliani did for New York City in just a few years, by changing the way the police work. One of the biggest, busiest cities in the world has changed from a horrifying crime pit to a safe place to take your kids on vacation. When's the last time you heard a news story about THAT?

Old 09-13-2011, 02:49 PM

121 posts, read 299,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
The crime level here is ridiculous, but we go out of our way to make it look far worse than it is. Every news story is about what's going wrong and every case example is always taken as proof that this or that type of crime is "on the rise." In fact, violent crime has been dropping year after year while scare stories about crime in the news have gone up, and this is an accurate figure based on research studies, 600%.

All kinds of things are going right and you never hear about them. Look what Rudy Giuliani did for New York City in just a few years, by changing the way the police work. One of the biggest, busiest cities in the world has changed from a horrifying crime pit to a safe place to take your kids on vacation. When's the last time you heard a news story about THAT?
That's true about NYC, that place has changed like crazy when it comes to crime, and it is newsworthy. That is one impressive drop in crime. Every city in the USA should learn how to decrease their crime cause even though some cities crime is getting better, its still to much for being the great country we are.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:33 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,677,220 times
I read this page a lot for some reason. I know the Uk and britain are different areas but still. It seems like there is a lot of crime there.

The Sun | The Best for News, Sport, Showbiz, Celebrities | The Sun

Old 09-16-2011, 06:44 AM

389 posts, read 586,588 times
The murder rate in the US is 4 times the UK, (but much higher for a lot of cities) and that's because you have guns.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:37 AM

508 posts, read 1,021,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big time bro View Post
I think America actually has the highest crime rate for modern developed countries. Lots of crime for such a powerful great country.
thats because we just slap the hands of criminals and put them in jails that are more like 4 star accomidations... cable, gyms, 3 meals a day etc etc...

i vote for harsher punishment! no more life imprisonment... i believe in a fair trial but if you got caught and you really killed someone.... all i gotta say is it costs how many thousands of dollars for 1 year of 1 imate being in jail.... and what 30 cents for a bullet.

see look that could reduce our taxes by half!

Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
I know the Uk and britain are different areas

The United Kingdom and Great Britain are not "different areas ". They are the same thing. The United Kingdom just includes more territories . We were once part of it ourselves.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-19-2011, 09:42 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post

"If it bleeds it leads"...tom brokaw or another newsman said that in the 80's. Plus now we have corporate media sensationalism. Most American networks are trash media outlets selling sensationalism.(celebs, rehab, etc.)

You wont hear about good things in todays info-tainment "news" bcs its all about ratings...I used to work in advertising. Whatever garbage sells is what the media will ram down the audiences throat.

Best is to filter it, research online, and visit places and travel. The "news" in America no longer exists.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:01 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emma153 View Post
I have always wondered what the americans think of britain mostly the crime and if they think it is a safe place to live.
I am interested in american life and would like to visit one day as i am fascinated by the culture and the way of life but it seems like the media puts a ''bad'' image of america due to crime, for example it is meant to produce the most serial killers in the world, all the gang crime, child murders etc, is it really that bad or is it just made worse by the media???

Any opions welcome
It's mostly media rhetoric, particularly with the foreign press. It's feed by movies, TV, and our own citizens misconception. Just like any big cities, in any country, we have good areas and bad areas. The good areas, which are fortunetly most of the US, are almost absent of crime. The bad areas can be really bad.

But this will wake you up, based on some statistics, the UK has a violent crime rate 5 times higher than the US.
The numbers can be argued with, but there is no doubt, guns or not, crime is an issue in UK. But, I guess, gangster movies set in the UK don't get much box office.

The most violent country in Europe: Britain is also worse than South Africa and U.S. | Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime