U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:45 PM

14,429 posts, read 8,527,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Actually, I think it was a combination of both that caused it. She was already mentally ill, and the comments on the internet drove her to suicide. If she had not been mentally unstable, perhaps those comments would have meant nothing, and she could have walked away from it, but she couldn't. So no, someone's nasty comments on the internet alone did not cause her to commit suicide, and her mental illness alone did not cause it.

But I still think the woman was wrong because she knew this girl's problems and made those comments to exacerbate them. It's kind of like a knowing someone has a weak heart, then going out your way to play a prank that scares them into a heart attack. If you know the risk to someone and do it anyway, you're at least partially responsible for what happens.

Exactly Anna. Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 PM

8,631 posts, read 3,774,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
Actually, I think it was a combination of both that caused it. She was already mentally ill, and the comments on the internet drove her to suicide. If she had not been mentally unstable, perhaps those comments would have meant nothing, and she could have walked away from it, but she couldn't. So no, someone's nasty comments on the internet alone did not cause her to commit suicide, and her mental illness alone did not cause it.

But I still think the woman was wrong because she knew this girl's problems and made those comments to exacerbate them. It's kind of like a knowing someone has a weak heart, then going out your way to play a prank that scares them into a heart attack. If you know the risk to someone and do it anyway, you're at least partially responsible for what happens.
It was a nasty thing for the women to do, but I dont think she should have been held responsible for the suicide. Using your logic, the parents also should have been held criminaly accountable for allowing her to have the computer. They knew she had problems, and they knew she could have been exposed to this sort of content, right?

Old 09-29-2011, 04:45 AM

14,429 posts, read 8,527,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
It was a nasty thing for the women to do, but I dont think she should have been held responsible for the suicide. Using your logic, the parents also should have been held criminaly accountable for allowing her to have the computer. They knew she had problems, and they knew she could have been exposed to this sort of content, right?
Wrong.

The computer is not the issue. The woman who went to such lengths to "get" the girl is the issue.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:17 AM

4,727 posts, read 1,222,929 times
Quote:
Your 'logical' connection isn't logical. Besides, I don't think anyone claimed that despicable Drew woman should be charged with murdering Megan. She escaped criminal punishment only because Missouri's harassment law didn't apply to internet communications. Fortunately, Missouri's legislators saw the problem and updated the law to cover Drew's sick type of behavior. Rightly so.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Your 'logical' connection isn't logical. Besides, I don't think anyone claimed that despicable Drew woman should be charged with murdering Megan. She escaped criminal punishment only because Missouri's harassment law didn't apply to internet communications. Fortunately, Missouri's legislators saw the problem and updated the law to cover Drew's sick type of behavior. Rightly so.
What a tragic overstepping of the judicial system. I'm so tired of living in such a coddled society, people need to grow up.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:04 PM

Next wednesday on the show "Harry's Law" it's going to be a case about Cyber Bullyong. The caption read " is it a crime when words are the weapon?"

Just thoought you guys might be interested, kind of ironic that would come on right after we had this conversation......

The show comes on NBC, Wednesdays at 9pm, at least here on the east coast, check your local listings. Looks to be an interesting show.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:00 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,104,481 times
I would be furious if someone defaced my deceased child on the internet. Even if he/she was also a teenager I would do everything possible to stop it and bring them to Justice. Teenagers do not have the mental and emotional maturity to just simply ignore a troll, lynching mobing, harassment, degrading comments. Hell most adults don't so how can we expect teenagers to mentally ill or not. This is why it's so important for parents to have access to their childs computers and read through their emails, posts on their computers until they reach the age of 18 or are at least when 18 years old have the mental capacity to match their age. IMO to do this to a teenager is unforgivable and then to make it worse by having the family victimized and horrified by a troll after their teenager is deceased is also unforgivable. It's bad enough to attack them when alive but for Christ sakes to go so far as to have a troll do this when they are deceased has to be stopped. Make them an example of what punishment should be.

I'll look for that show next week WhipperSnapper 88. If it's not on TV by me then I will look on the internet to get it.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:41 PM

VINDICATION!!!!

So did anyone watch the show last night??? I guess the writers of "Harry's Law" at least agree that someones suicicide should not be placed squarely on an internet bully, and that the bully shouldn't be held completely responsible.

If this had been a true story, I would have agreed with the outcome. In a way it is true. Maybe not that story specificly, but it's a representation of many others that are true. I think they did a good job of making the point that responsibility shouldn't be placed at the bully's doorstep, but instead we need to start with society as a whole and reform our general attitudes toward people who may be different than what is accepted by most as "normal".

Old 10-19-2011, 11:47 AM

8,315 posts, read 10,092,908 times
This british creep is a loser & hopefully hes taught a lesson in jail.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:29 PM

1,595 posts, read 1,104,481 times
Quote:
Oh you mean in real life situations?

This is why most social networking sites have a feature that allows users to ban/block certain members from viewing, posting to, or otherwise accessing their page. If the problem persists, take it up with the site administrators. What do we do here on City-Data when we have a problem with a fellow poster? We report it to the mods. We certainly don't call our local PD and if we did, something tells me they would laugh us out of the station.

LOL yes the certainly would. But the difference to me is when it's done to a child, young person and when pictures, real names, sometimes a known address of that person. With adults is different we know to choose the ignore and get to a moderator to help bring some peace and open communication to better understanding each other. We don't have to go to work and be outcast like the children at School are because of internet bullying.

Here at CD we don't go around, well, not that I know of, posting pictures of each other on other sites and degrade them for everyone to see. Here we are more annonymous as far as our true identity, which we should all have, but what happened to the family of the dead girl was way out of line. We don't dehumanize a dead girl just to torture her family who loved her. I truly can understand why, how it would be extremely difficult to not look at what was being said on a public internet site about their child. No one should be permitted to get away with that. I do agree going to the moderators/owners of that site would be the first choice to stopping it not the PD. I have to re-read the article I can't remember now if the troller owned the site or not.

I missed Harry's Law I couldn't find it on my TV to record it. I keep trying to find that one episode online but they won't show it all, not yet anyway. I'll have to wait for Hulu to get it in full episodes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime