U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 10:16 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,792,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
let me applaud you for being one of those strong-minded people who can guarantee that as a 10-16 year-old you'd be immune to cyber-bullying and harassment.
First of all let me say this..... a ten year old has no business on a computer to begin with, let alone social media sites. When you come right down to it the internet is a dirty, rotten, vile, and harsh place to be and any parent who lets their preteen child visit it needs their head examined!

Second of all, I was 16 once. I was bullied. We are all bullied at some point in our lives, people need to get over it. It's a part of life and that's that. Is it right? NO, but a part of life all the same.

I have no sympathy for someone who kills themselves because "jimmy said I was a ***** on Facebook....."

Anyone who does do this likely had many more issues than just social media.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 09-14-2011 at 10:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 10:22 PM

55,668 posts, read 74,655,684 times
that is scary. i personally know a family where the guy went to federal prison for 3 years for downloading pictures of a minor and agreeing to a date with her. he never did jack with the girl, never even saw her. of course the girl was really a 27 year old male FBI agent.
the poor neighbor died of illnesses after he got out of jail.
i think computer traps stink.
bear in mind you can lose or fail to get a job bek of facebook posting, happens all the time.
they will do it to you and you will never know about it.
lets hear it for the trolls.

Old 09-15-2011, 09:30 AM

9,535 posts, read 4,874,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
First of all let me say this..... a ten year old has no business on a computer to begin with, let alone social media sites. When you come right down to it the internet is a dirty, rotten, vile, and harsh place to be and any parent who lets their preteen child visit it needs their head examined!

Second of all, I was 16 once. I was bullied. We are all bullied at some point in our lives, people need to get over it. It's a part of life and that's that. Is it right? NO, but a part of life all the same.

I have no sympathy for someone who kills themselves because "jimmy said I was a ***** on Facebook....."

I just knew that 'get over it' would be somewhere in your response. Most do get over being bullied, made fun of, harassed as a teen. I agree that kids who harm themselves can have some other issues going on. What I'm not sure you get is the different nature of bullying since you were 16. You not having sympathy for teens who harm themselves because they couldn't handle it says more about you than the targets.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:46 AM

14,810 posts, read 14,012,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roku View Post

It's hard for me to understand how anyone can be so heartless as to have no sympathy for a vulnerable teenager who is subjected to bullying--cyber or otherwise.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I just knew that 'get over it' would be somewhere in your response. Most do get over being bullied, made fun of, harassed as a teen. I agree that kids who harm themselves can have some other issues going on. What I'm not sure you get is the different nature of bullying since you were 16. You not having sympathy for teens who harm themselves because they couldn't handle it says more about you than the targets.
Well seeing as I was 16 not all that long ago, I'm pretty sure I have a good Idea.

However, since my last post I have thought things over a little more. IF the "cyber-bullying" leads to teasing and harassment in the "real world", then yes, I agree that something should be done to the bully. It's a case by case thing I suppose. But like I said, if it's just on the internet, the victim has many options. Block/ban the troll fro their page, delete the posts, or simply delete your acct. and turn the computer off. I personaly dont believe anyone has ever killed themselves just because an internet troll bullied them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
It's hard for me to understand how anyone can be so heartless as to have no sympathy for a vulnerable teenager who is subjected to bullying--cyber or otherwise.
you misunderstand. As for the "otherwise" part, I do have plenty of sympathy. As for the "cyber" part, well, in my opinion, they are in a hell of their own choosing and of their own will so no, I have no sympathy.

Old 09-15-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
you misunderstand. As for the "otherwise" part, I do have plenty of sympathy. As for the "cyber" part, well, in my opinion, they are in a hell of their own choosing and of their own will so no, I have no sympathy.
Teenagers are not noted for the well-thought out decisions they make and since all their friends are also on Facebook, it is easy to understand why they want to participate. Cyber bullying can be every bit as demoralizing as face-to-face verbal bullying and teens who don't have good parent/child relationships (and many do not) lean very heavily on peer relationships for their self-esteem.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Teenagers are not noted for the well-thought out decisions they make and since all their friends are also on Facebook, it is easy to understand why they want to participate. Cyber bullying can be every bit as demoralizing as face-to-face verbal bullying and teens who don't have good parent/child relationships (and many do not) lean very heavily on peer relationships for their self-esteem.
Agreed, teens aren't known for making the best decisions. This is where the role of the parents come in. Parents should at the very least monitor occasionaly the internet activity of their child. Some { maybe even most } do not. It's sad.

Like I said, they can moderate their pages and keep their foes comments off of it. Other than that,I dont know. Like I said, it's a case by case basis. If the bully is harassing them in real life, by all means, they should be held accountable. But being prosecuted for something they wrote on the internet, that's a step over the Judicial line IMO.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Agreed, teens aren't known for making the best decisions. This is where the role of the parents come in. Parents should at the very least monitor occasionaly the internet activity of their child. Some { maybe even most } do not. It's sad.

Like I said, they can moderate their pages and keep their foes comments off of it. Other than that,I dont know. Like I said, it's a case by case basis. If the bully is harassing them in real life, by all means, they should be held accountable. But being prosecuted for something they wrote on the internet, that's a step over the Judicial line IMO.
I can agree that cyberbullying is a gray area, judicially, and that parents should be monitoring what appears on their child's Facebook page. Unfortunately, too many parents are unaware that Facebook--and the internet, in general--are a minefield. If a child does not have a good parental relationship and looks to their peers for support, and is subsequently pushed to suicide for what they see written on their Facebook page, that child is even more worthy of my sympathy for the isolation they are feeling.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I can agree that cyberbullying is a gray area, judicially, and that parents should be monitoring what appears on their child's Facebook page. Unfortunately, too many parents are unaware that Facebook--and the internet, in general--are a minefield. If a child does not have a good parental relationship and looks to their peers for support, and is subsequently pushed to suicide for what they see written on their Facebook page, that child is even more worthy of my sympathy for the isolation they are feeling.
Well, you and I will just have to agree to disagree. We need to start with the parents and get them involved. I think it would be more logical to prosecute the parents for neglect rather than the bullies for writing something on this site or that.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Well, you and I will just have to agree to disagree. We need to start with the parents and get them involved. I think it would be more logical to prosecute the parents for neglect rather than the bullies for writing something on this site or that.
Actually, we don't disagree all that much on things like parents being involved with their children's internet activity. I just feel sorry for those teenagers that have such low self-esteem that they can be pushed over the edge by something that appears on their Facebook page. That's where our differences lie. No biggie.......this is just an internet forum and I fully respect people's right to differ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or