U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 01:59 PM

8,849 posts, read 4,013,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Actually, we don't disagree all that much on things like parents being involved with their children's internet activity. I just feel sorry for those teenagers that have such low self-esteem that they can be pushed over the edge by something that appears on their Facebook page. That's where our differences lie. No biggie.......this is just an internet forum and I fully respect people's right to differ.
Oh I feel sorry for them to. Nobody SHOULD have to go through that. As far as holding the bully accountable and to what extent, I'm not sure on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 02:00 PM

10,062 posts, read 5,444,296 times
I agree with Whippersnapper here. Someone's words on the internet are not a reason to off yourself...clearly there were deeper issues even though teens don't make the best decisions.

Parents not knowing about FB and social media being the trash heap that it can be? No. I'm sorry, I don't accept that. As a parent, it is their JOB to know what is going on in their kid's life. They paid for that computer, the electricity, the phone, the phone bills, the chair the kid is sitting in, the house that the chair is in, etc. They have every right to know and they SHOULD KNOW. It is their duty.

It is not a laughable joke to have a parent say, "Oh I just don't understand that computer and internet thingy". Whenever your child gets involved in something, you, as the parent, are obligated to know just what the hell is going on. If your kid doesn't want to talk to you about it, take the computer away.

As for the guy going to jail? I don't agree with that. He's an ass**** for sure. But jail? Please. I think that the better punishment was mentioned..make him FACE those parents and family members.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:37 PM

14,812 posts, read 8,021,810 times
^^^^^

Yes. Accountable to the parents; I can go for that.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:17 PM

14,514 posts, read 8,807,709 times
Wow. I'm disgusted with Sean Duffy. I'm also disgusted with some of the attitudes on this very thread towards the very serious nature of cyber bullying.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:41 PM

4,889 posts, read 1,306,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I agree with Whippersnapper here. Someone's words on the internet are not a reason to off yourself...clearly there were deeper issues even though teens don't make the best decisions.

Parents not knowing about FB and social media being the trash heap that it can be? No. I'm sorry, I don't accept that. As a parent, it is their JOB to know what is going on in their kid's life. They paid for that computer, the electricity, the phone, the phone bills, the chair the kid is sitting in, the house that the chair is in, etc. They have every right to know and they SHOULD KNOW. It is their duty.

It is not a laughable joke to have a parent say, "Oh I just don't understand that computer and internet thingy". Whenever your child gets involved in something, you, as the parent, are obligated to know just what the hell is going on. If your kid doesn't want to talk to you about it, take the computer away.

As for the guy going to jail? I don't agree with that. He's an ass**** for sure. But jail? Please. I think that the better punishment was mentioned..make him FACE those parents and family members.
Some parents don't know, some might be indifferent, others might say get over it or the old sticks and stones malarkey. I'm sensing a whole bunch of let the kids suffer because of parental ignorance, indifference, or inability to resolve other problems.

As for facing the parents as punishment, he just might say, your daughter was a ****, deserved to die and you do too, haha. The prison sentence is appropriate.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:52 AM

880 posts, read 1,107,056 times
Figures it's a sissy country like England that can't handle free speech.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:48 PM

4,395 posts, read 2,210,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
So you support 25 year old losers with no life who troll 13 year old girls on facebook? If anyone should've taken their own life it's him.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:12 PM

880 posts, read 1,107,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
So you support 25 year old losers with no life who troll 13 year old girls on facebook? If anyone should've taken their own life it's him.
I support freedom of speech without government interference. Is that too difficult a concept for you?

Old 09-16-2011, 03:22 PM

4,113 posts, read 1,988,339 times
Ridiculous. Putting him in prison is waaay over the line.

The guy sounds like a complete douche, but still.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:40 PM

4,889 posts, read 1,306,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
Keep this between us. The rough, tough, home of the brave U.S. of A. has laws on cyberbullying, cyber harassment, that limit 'freedom of speech.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime