U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 04:52 PM

2,930 posts, read 6,197,531 times

Advertisements

I agree the parents should be accountable. What I don't agree with is that monitoring a kid's account and computer habits will solve the bullying. Well it would at least inform you that your kid is being bullied, since your kid might be embarrassed to share that information with you, the parent. But bullies can create fake facebook pages and websites... Should you tell your kid not to share any pictures on facebook? Even if you do that, anyone could take a picture of your kid at school. Bullies are evil and creative.

I think the only solution to bullying (cyber or not) is to change schools and hope for the best. (well violence works sometimes, but I would only recommend that to my own kid)

This just happened to a loser over 25, but many bullies are underage. What good does Cyberbulling laws do when you are dealing with prosecuting kids? In the end it's your kids and you are responsible for their environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 05:31 PM

240 posts, read 324,923 times
Some people used to write abusive crap to me and nobody said anything!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 05:50 PM

13,900 posts, read 10,781,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I agree the parents should be accountable. What I don't agree with is that monitoring a kid's account and computer habits will solve the bullying. Well it would at least inform you that your kid is being bullied, since your kid might be embarrassed to share that information with you, the parent. But bullies can create fake facebook pages and websites... Should you tell your kid not to share any pictures on facebook? Even if you do that, anyone could take a picture of your kid at school. Bullies are evil and creative.

I think the only solution to bullying (cyber or not) is to change schools and hope for the best. (well violence works sometimes, but I would only recommend that to my own kid)

This just happened to a loser over 25, but many bullies are underage. What good does Cyberbulling laws do when you are dealing with prosecuting kids? In the end it's your kids and you are responsible for their environment.
Sounds to me that the best and simplest solution to "cyber" bullying, is to keep your Child off of the net all together.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:54 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,127,138 times
Reading through this thread, I'm going to agree with every post from WhipperSnapper. What Sean Duffy did was cruel but going to jail for it? please.....get some self control and get off the internet.

If someone can't take someone talking bad about them under any circumstances, then what makes them think they can handle what being said over the internet?

Remembrance should be kept between family and friends, not the whole world.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:24 PM

3,895 posts, read 4,568,116 times
The Peoples Republic of Britain at its finest.
Already we have the Peoples Republic of China/Vietnam
Peoples Republic of Californiastan (The Liberals/communist that run that state into the ground might as well declare independance and name it that)
Peoples Republic of Turkmehistan
Peoples Republic of Korea.
I guess people never learned from the DownFall of the Soviet Union 21 years ago. communism DOESN'T work!

Old 09-17-2011, 05:14 AM

9,526 posts, read 4,866,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Reading through this thread, I'm going to agree with every post from WhipperSnapper. What Sean Duffy did was cruel but going to jail for it? please.....get some self control and get off the internet.

If someone can't take someone talking bad about them under any circumstances, then what makes them think they can handle what being said over the internet?

Remembrance should be kept between family and friends, not the whole world.
One of the things the guy did was post a video on YouTube, entitled Tasha the Tank Engine [Tasha killed herself by jumping under a train], showing the children's character Thomas the Tank Engine with Tasha's face.

18 weeks in prison for all the guy did is fair. He's lucky the families didn't engage in some bullying and harassment of their own.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:43 AM

13,900 posts, read 10,781,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
He's lucky the families didn't engage in some bullying and harassment of their own

Thats a type of Justice I could agree with. They should have took this creep out behind the courthouse { or whatever they call it over there } and gave him a good beating.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:21 AM

22,707 posts, read 16,813,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Some parents don't know, some might be indifferent, others might say get over it or the old sticks and stones malarkey. I'm sensing a whole bunch of let the kids suffer because of parental ignorance, indifference, or inability to resolve other problems.

As for facing the parents as punishment, he just might say, your daughter was a ****, deserved to die and you do too, haha. The prison sentence is appropriate.
You would be sensing wrong. And I'm not sure if Princess was also referring to my post so let me make it clearer:

I did NOT say that the child should suffer because their parents are indifferent or don't know, my POINT WAS, every parent SHOULD care and SHOULD KNOW what their child is doing on the internet. It is their duty. To me, it is NO different than when the child goes to a friend's house. The parent has the obligation to know where that friend lives, have the phone number to that house, have MET the friend and has a line of communication with the friend's parents so that the parent knows where that kid will be, and basically what they will be doing and what times they will be doing them. That is the job of the parent.

What I was responding to was someone stating that parents may not know how FB or other social media sites can be a place for people just like this ahole in this story. Or even worse. I stated I do not accept that answer, it is the parent's JOB to know these things even if they, themselves, have no interest in using such sites.

If your kid has a cell phone, (that you are paying for), you have the RIGHT to know what numbers that kid has called and what numbers have called your kid. You don't have to go through their phone book, you can look at the bill. Or, if you want, you can go through their phone, you bought it, they're your kid, your job is to do whatever you can to keep them safe.

That is in NO way advocating what this guy did or implying that the kid should just suffer. The parents DO have a responsibility in this in that they should be very, extremely aware of what their kid is doing on the internet and their little cell phones. Absolutely.

It's not the kids fault and of course the kid shouldn't have suffered. I can't believe you even remotely read that in my post.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:23 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,734,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Sounds to me that the best and simplest solution to "cyber" bullying, is to keep your Child off of the net all together.
So would the best solution to RL bullying keep your child out of school altogether?

Perhaps the more logical solution would be to apply similar laws to 'net stalking and harassing that we do in the real world.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:24 AM

28,206 posts, read 20,734,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
The Peoples Republic of Britain at its finest.
Already we have the Peoples Republic of China/Vietnam
Peoples Republic of Californiastan (The Liberals/communist that run that state into the ground might as well declare independance and name it that)
Peoples Republic of Turkmehistan
Peoples Republic of Korea.
I guess people never learned from the DownFall of the Soviet Union 21 years ago. communism DOESN'T work!

Mhm.

What do you think of laws that target assault, harassment and stalking in real life? Are they also communist nature?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or