U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 07:00 AM

9,525 posts, read 4,865,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
The internet is part of my real life. It's part of yours too. We don't enter some sort of different dimension when we sit at our computers.

The words you say to me on this screen have just as much impact as if you said them to my face.
The argument that the internet isn't 'real life' is absurd. If nasty pics or vicious rumors are spread through the internet, the harm is just as bad, even worse, than if done in a classroom or the local hangout. A teen who shows up at school and finds out half the school is laughing at her because of internet communication is harmed kust as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 07:06 AM

9,525 posts, read 4,865,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The point is, they should. The point is, parents do have to take some responsibility for their kids and the kids safety. Like I said, I do not think it's cute or funny when a parent acts clueless to the new things their child is in to.

This can totally be regulated at home, it's their fricken home! At friend's houses...like I said, if the parents took a more active role in their child's life, they would have a damn clue.

But, it's like Whippersnapper said, too many parents want to be their kids friends and not parents. "Well, we're just letting Johnny have all this freedom so his self expression isn't stifled". Oh please. Little Johnny can express himself in activities such as art or music or sports or whatever. Not knowing what your kid is doing on the computer, or who your kid is calling, or where your kid IS at the moment is **** poor parenting.

"But, it's HARD!"

Of course it's hard. Who the hell ever said parenting was easy?! My parents were right up my backside knowing every thing I was doing, where I was and who was there with me. Every. Thing. And it kept me from making a LOT of stupid, stupid, stupid decisions.

As was pointed out, kids don't make the best decisions. They're kids! Of course they don't. That's why they stay with their parents until they are 18.

Oh and Whippersnapper, I agree about the cell phones. I know people will say that they need 8 year old Johnny to have a phone and frankly, public pay phones are darn near non existent anymore. No longer can we give the kid 50 cents and say, "Call me for anything you need", now they have cell phones.

BUT, I don't think those kids need to be dialing up all their friends all over the place. Want to make a phone call? Do that at home. The cell should be to call the parents or for emergencies.
You can 'PARENTS SHOULD' til pigs fly and it won't change a thing.

I don't believe your parents knew Every. Thing. you did.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:26 AM

13,900 posts, read 10,780,216 times
Quote:
The internet is part of my real life. It's part of yours too. We don't enter some sort of different dimension when we sit at our computers.

The words you say to me on this screen have just as much impact as if you said them to my face.
Yes and we both choose to sit here and have this discussion. If one of us gets offended by something the other one said, we can place each other on our ignore list or simply get up and walk away from our computers.

Quote:
No no.

It would be like if he was standing outside their home, shouting these things vs. talking about it privately with his friends.
It wouldn't be the same at all and thats just the point I've been trying to get at. If he had been standing outside their home, they would have been forced to put up with his nonsense every time they left their home. They would have been forced to hear him screaming his garbage when they were in their home minding their own business. Since he chose social media to do his cowardly deed, all they had to do was stay off the computer or delete his posts.

See the difference?

Old 09-19-2011, 03:31 PM

28,206 posts, read 20,731,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The argument that the internet isn't 'real life' is absurd. If nasty pics or vicious rumors are spread through the internet, the harm is just as bad, even worse, than if done in a classroom or the local hangout. A teen who shows up at school and finds out half the school is laughing at her because of internet communication is harmed kust as much.
Yes, exactly jazz. I totally agree.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Yes and we both choose to sit here and have this discussion. If one of us gets offended by something the other one said, we can place each other on our ignore list or simply get up and walk away from our computers.
In many non-internet stalking and harassment events, the victim chose to be in the situation too at some point in time.

Quote:
It wouldn't be the same at all and thats just the point I've been trying to get at. If he had been standing outside their home, they would have been forced to put up with his nonsense every time they left their home. They would have been forced to hear him screaming his garbage when they were in their home minding their own business. Since he chose social media to do his cowardly deed, all they had to do was stay off the computer or delete his posts.

See the difference?

It is the same. His actions are not known until they are read. As Judge Perry says, "You can't unring a bell."

Furthermore, the very fact that his actions WOULD disallow people from reasonably using social media and the internet shows that he is having an impact on their lives and should be stopped.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
In many non-internet stalking and harassment events, the victim chose to be in the situation too at some point in time.
Oh you mean in real life situations?

Quote:
It is the same. His actions are not known until they are read. As Judge Perry says, "You can't unring a bell."

Furthermore, the very fact that his actions WOULD disallow people from reasonably using social media and the internet shows that he is having an impact on their lives and should be stopped

This is why most social networking sites have a feature that allows users to ban/block certain members from viewing, posting to, or otherwise accessing their page. If the problem persists, take it up with the site administrators. What do we do here on City-Data when we have a problem with a fellow poster? We report it to the mods. We certainly don't call our local PD and if we did, something tells me they would laugh us out of the station.
Attached Thumbnails
Man imprisoned for internet trolling-1316375675170.jpg  

Old 09-19-2011, 05:36 PM

22,705 posts, read 16,808,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You can 'PARENTS SHOULD' til pigs fly and it won't change a thing.

I don't believe your parents knew Every. Thing. you did.
I know this may be difficult to believe...but yes, they did. Even things I thought they didn't know. They knew. I found out they knew...when I got grounded for it.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I know this may be difficult to believe...but yes, they did. Even things I thought they didn't know. They knew. I found out they knew...when I got grounded for it.
I don't know how old you are but I'm guessing that was back when parent's were still worth-a-damn?

Believe it or not there ARE still good parents out there. You can be a good parent without being a helicopter parent to.

LOL, my parents always told me they knew exactly what I was doing, bedause they pulled the same tricks when they were my age.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:33 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,057,164 times
Bullying is bullying...period. Whether it's online or in person doesn't really matter. Online bullying can be just as hurtful, intimidating, and damaging as face to face bullying. Yes, the target can just stay off the computer, but why should they have to? Don't they have the right to use and enjoy the internet just like everyone else? That would equate to telling a bullied kid that they HAD to be homeschooled. They have every right to be in school, and not be harassed, and be on the internet and not be harassed.

I'm all for free speech, but not when someone's RIGHT to free speech interferes with someone else's RIGHT to not be harassed. Yes, you can say whatever you want, but when you're intent is to harass, humiliate, or threaten somebody else, why is your right more important than theirs? It's not. And maybe I'm missing something, but from what I read this guy went to memorial sites for dead teeangers and deliberately posted hurtful comments that he knew the grieving families would read, and created memorial sites and facebook pages for the express purpose of demoralizing these dead children. That isn't free speech, that is harassment, plain and simple, and people do and should go to jail for that.

Exactly why I think those Westboro Church morons belong in jail right alongside Sean Duffy.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Oh you mean in real life situations?
I meant in non-internet situations. Which is why I said, non-internet.

Quote:
This is why most social networking sites have a feature that allows users to ban/block certain members from viewing, posting to, or otherwise accessing their page. If the problem persists, take it up with the site administrators. What do we do here on City-Data when we have a problem with a fellow poster? We report it to the mods. We certainly don't call our local PD and if we did, something tells me they would laugh us out of the station.

I know for a fact that most PDs take internet stalking, harassment, etc pretty seriously. I'm glad they do. They have the same detrimental effects as other types of predatory behaviors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or